Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been continuing with my zone 2 training, doing an 80/20 half marathon running program running 6 days a week. 4 weeks in now. 80% of runs really slow in zone 2 low intensity, 20% of runs at high intensity doing hill sprints and fartlek intervals. I think its really starting to make a difference to my aerobic capacity, and the low intensity runs allow me to back up the next day.

On Sunday I did a 15km run starting in Maylands, running to Optus stadium, did some laps around that, went through Burswood, back over Madigarup bridge then back to Maylands through Claisebrook. Heart rate didnt get over 145 bpm, although it was super, super slow. But it was probably the first time I felt I could just keep running forever, and I could coast along taking in my surroundings (was a stunning day). Going to try and do a full half marathon distance now at this intensity. Wont be fast but it will prove to myself that I can cover the entire distance without burning myself out.

Before just running super slow has actually been tough to do - its a different gait and its made me really sore. You need a lot of discipline when you get passed by everyone all the time lol.

Last edited:
Had to play 2 full games of soccer Saturday due to limited numbers at the club. The other central midfielder (also played 2) says he burned > 4000 calories according to his HR monitor thingo.

I'm not into long distance running, endurance always been a weak point tbh. Run a shitload though so assume I was similar to him

How many do people burn on a 10-20k run? I've never tracked it so have no reference point, just thought that was really high (might not be?)

Had to play 2 full games of soccer Saturday due to limited numbers at the club. The other central midfielder (also played 2) says he burned > 4000 calories according to his HR monitor thingo.

I'm not into long distance running, endurance always been a weak point tbh. Run a shitload though so assume I was similar to him

How many do people burn on a 10-20k run? I've never tracked it so have no reference point, just thought that was really high (might not be?)
4000 calories is a lot. I burn about 800 calories (3300kj) for every 10km.

Maybe you were working in kj? Most people wouldnt burn 4000 calories doing a marathon lol.
I didn't do anything it was his thing, he's way more into the stats than I, he definitely said calories. I know he said he's usually about 1700 calories in a game but ran 'way more today' so would have been way more if kj

Guy at basketball said he's around 500-700 calories per game and that's only 40 mins

I doubt these monitors are particularly accurate though tbh

I didn't do anything it was his thing, he's way more into the stats than I, he definitely said calories. I know he said he's usually about 1700 calories in a game but ran 'way more today' so would have been way more if kj

Guy at basketball said he's around 500-700 calories per game and that's only 40 mins

I doubt these monitors are particularly accurate though tbh
Could be right - soccer players are stupidly fit I reckon and I think this is understated. Fitness tracker watches are quite accurate if you're working with correct body weight and heart rate readings.

4000 calories is a lot. I burn about 800 calories (3300kj) for every 10km.
The average adult consumption is benchmarked at 2000 calories per day, but soccer is more repeat sprints and changes of direction so I can't really argue against the numbers.

800 calories per hour is better than average folk, it's not a bad quasi-measure of fitness and efficiency.

Maybe you were working in kj? Most people wouldnt burn 4000 calories doing a marathon lol.

4000 calories is more than a lot of 125kg + powerlifters would eat every day lol.
Can’t imagine anyone burning that many in under 24 hours unless you were doing an ultra marathon or something.
Even 4000kj seems excessive for a game of soccer to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems high to me but not outrageously high.

As a comparison i cycle one way commuting to work. Thats around an hour 20 minutes with an average HR of 162bpm, that burns about 900 active calories (pending time and effort etc but within 5%).

One game of soccer is circa 2 hours total? to 2 games being about 4 hours... Doesnt seem impossible but youd have to be working pretty ****ing hard while playing.

The average adult consumption is benchmarked at 2000 calories per day, but soccer is more repeat sprints and changes of direction so I can't really argue against the numbers.

800 calories per hour is better than average folk, it's not a bad quasi-measure of fitness and efficiency.
Im not sure calories burnt per hour is a credible performance metric to compare two athletes. Its dependent on too many variables: type of exercise, weight, sex, average HR for the workout, lean body mass, BMR etc. I like to track how many calories I've burnt as I have a daily energy expenditure goal to try maintain my weight.

A more comparable and probably the most comprehensive measure of cardiovascular endurance and aerobic fitness is V02 max. In fact, no other fitness measure correlates more strongly to life expectancy than this.

VO2 max.PNG

Im not sure calories burnt per hour is a credible performance metric to compare two athletes. Its dependent on too many variables: type of exercise, weight, sex, average HR for the workout, lean body mass, BMR etc. I like to track how many calories I've burnt as I have a daily energy expenditure goal to try maintain my weight.

A more comparable and probably the most comprehensive measure of cardiovascular endurance and aerobic fitness is V02 max. In fact, no other fitness measure correlates more strongly to life expectancy than this.

View attachment 2114003
I agree but VO2 Max isnt a readily available metric for most.

The Apple Watches do them but its so utterly inexact and based on cardio assumptions its pointless.

Calories and recovery heart rate are generally available to most people doing some exercise with some sort of tracker.

View attachment 2114003
You're right in saying there are a lot of variables, but as a general measure it can provide some insight.

Tracking calories burned over time for trend analysis of your own performance can be very useful (granted my background info in this is cycling based and they benchmark it to max carb intake per hour stats to avoid 'bonking').

I agree but VO2 Max isnt a readily available metric for most.

The Apple Watches do them but its so utterly inexact and based on cardio assumptions its pointless.

Calories and recovery heart rate are generally available to most people doing some exercise with some sort of tracker.
Yeah apple V02 max is way off but I've done a VO2 max test in a lab and its comparable to my garmin reading. My apple watch reads my V02 max as 6 points lower.

Yeah apple V02 max is way off but I've done a VO2 max test in a lab and its comparable to my garmin reading.
Id have to take your word for it but it would be very very suprising to me that they relate, closely.

Its just not really a great broad fitness measure for the average person IMO (due to accessibility).

It seems high to me but not outrageously high.

As a comparison i cycle one way commuting to work. Thats around an hour 20 minutes with an average HR of 162bpm, that burns about 900 active calories (pending time and effort etc but within 5%).

One game of soccer is circa 2 hours total? to 2 games being about 4 hours... Doesnt seem impossible but youd have to be working pretty ****ing hard while playing.
4x 45 min halves plus a 20-30 mins warm up (we didn't warm up for the 2nd game obviously).

Lots of sprints, a pitch is 100m long often running box to box and never really standing still. You'd cover alot of ground but at intensity rather than long distance running being a steady pace. I'm assuming that burns more calories, could be wrong? My legs went before my cardio maxxed

If I play another season I'm going to get a monitor. No use for one otherwise even though it'd be reasonably interesting and perhaps provide self motivation

4x 45 min halves plus a 20-30 mins warm up (we didn't warm up for the 2nd game obviously).

Lots of sprints, a pitch is 100m long often running box to box and never really standing still. You'd cover alot of ground but at intensity rather than long distance running being a steady pace. I'm assuming that burns more calories, could be wrong? My legs went before my cardio maxxed

If I play another season I'm going to get a monitor. No use for one otherwise even though it'd be reasonably interesting and perhaps provide self motivation
Yeh i included stoppage time and halftime (where you still burn calories albeit at a lower rate).

Im also a pretty heavy lad so burn more, assuming youre both sitting around 90kgs i could see it.

I think with the general population the importance of maintaining or increasing V02 max is grossly understated. An overwhelming majority don't even incorporate any training at a high enough intensity that can meaningfully increase it. And it considerably decreases for every decade you age, increasing the possible incidence of cardio respiratory disease. You only need one session a week of hard, all out effort intervals. Like the Norwegian 4 x 4 x 4 workout - 4 minutes at nearly all out effort, 4 minutes recovery, repeat four times.

Many prescribed running programs incorporate suitable high intensity sessions once or twice a week, such as fartlek, hill sprints, pyramid intervals.

The trouble is that even beyond the sedentary population, there are huge swathes of "active" people who just don't get to the required level of intensity - ie: not going beyond lifting weights at the gym or walking. The brutal truth is this is not enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back