Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" (lol) Review, AFL's Largest Membership Drop and Lowest Social Media Growth 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

You can't convince people to give their hard earned over in these times, if you play shit football. It's a business, people aren't going to to buy a crap product. We're shipping a crap product at the moment
Yeah for me personally, it's not just the fact we're a poor club at the moment. The whole gameday experience isn't really enjoyable for me any more. I feel like I'm being bombarded with (gambling) advertising at the venues, ******** security, long cues for coke-a-cola. Just can't be ****ed going to games and don't want to spend $$$ on a bumper sticker and scarf I don't even wear.

I'm pivoting to appeal to the niche "who gives a shit, any sort of flag is good enough or me" market.
I’ll buy it.

A big step up from the Demons shop in 2022 with a AFLW premiership t-shirt for $70 dollars shown as an outline with “image unavailable” written across it. If I had a spare $70 at the time I would have jumped on the chance to buy my image unavailable t-shirt.

As Christmas approaches I hope there will be some more image unavailable products so I can surprise and delight my loved ones

As good a player as he is he is what's wrong with the club, arrogance and everything is alright attitude when it clearly isnt, maybe you should be talking to your younger teammates rather than thinking/telling them to all share the same attitude as you about the coach and the club.
Which younger teammates? The ones who have all re-signed in the last 2 years?

I get it, things aren't great at the moment, there are serious issues and the ra-ra mob on Dland do come across as delusional but I feel the sky is falling crowd here are the same just at the other end of the spectrum.

I want to see change but I'm not 100% that Goodwin is the problem or needs to go. He seems* to have a great relationship with the players who seem to love him (I say seems because I'm only going on public info/perception I have no inside info), yeah he is too rigid in his gameplan but that's where I think getting some new assistants around him can help freshen him up and keep him evolving. He's a decent strategic coach but not a great tactical coach I think.

This year was bad but we did still win 10 games, we have had a good run the last few years (straight sets exits not withstanding). I think he's earnt the right to see how he'll bounce back in 2025, if we are looking shaky mid year he will rightfully be under the pump.

Good that Roffey's gone, I hope Pert goes too he seems like a real snake oil salesman. I'm not that thrilled with Green but as an interim solution he's fine, I feel they've put him up as a "respected" former player to take the heat off from the media and supporters in the short term so seems a real political move rather than a move based on his competence for the role. Let's see what changes come from this review, if Pert escapes and the review ends up gathering dust in his top drawer it will have a lot of Cameron Schwab about it.

Last edited:
Which younger teammates? The ones who have all re-signed in the last 2 years?

I get it, things aren't great at the moment, there are serious issues and the ra-ra mob on Dland do come across as delusional but I feel the sky is falling crowd here are the same just at the other end of the spectrum.

I want to see change but I'm not 100% that Goodwin is the problem or needs to go. He seems* to have a great relationship with the players who seem to love him (I say seems because I'm only going on public info/perception I have no inside info), yeah he is too rigid in his gameplan but that's where I think getting some new assistants around him can help freshen him up and keep him evolving. He's a decent strategic coach but not a great tactical coach I think.

This year was bad but we did still win 10 games, we have had a good run the last few years (straight sets exits not withstanding). I think he's earnt the right to see how he'll bounce back in 2025, if we are looking shaky mid year he will rightfully be under the pump.

Good that Roffey's gone, I hope Pert goes too he seems like a real snake oil salesman. I'm not that thrilled with Green but as an interim solution he's fine, I feel they've put him up as a "respected" former player to take the heat off from the media and supporters in the short term so seems a real political move rather than a move based on his competence for the role. Let's see what changes come from this review, of Pert escapes and the review ends up gathering dust in his top drawer it will have a lot of Cameron Schwab about it.
Save this post for DL mate, its wasted on people like me. Im firmly of the belief that there is no saving this club while Goodwin and Pert are here, you can be a guy who everyone gets along with and a shit coach at the same time.

Save this post for DL mate, its wasted on people like me. Im firmly of the belief that there is no saving this club while Goodwin and Pert are here, you can be a guy who everyone gets along with and a shit coach at the same time.
You said "maybe you should be talking to your younger teammates rather than thinking/telling them to all share the same attitude as you about the coach and the club." Most (all?) young players have committed to the club recently so which ones should he be talking to?

You said "maybe you should be talking to your younger teammates rather than thinking/telling them to all share the same attitude as you about the coach and the club." Most (all?) young players have committed to the club recently so which ones should he be talking to?
Doesnt mean anything, they could have been happy to sign when they did but wish they never had when the club fell apart later in the year. Who out of Kozzy, JVR and Fritsch would stay if they were given the chance to leave now? I think all of them would be outta here if they could.

Doesnt mean anything, they could have been happy to sign when they did but wish they never had when the club fell apart later in the year. Who out of Kozzy, JVR and Fritsch would stay if they were given the chance to leave now? I think all of them would be outta here if they could.
Well quite, but I don’t think the fall apart thing is on Max Gawn. And as Captain he is kind of required to speak in support of the organisation publicly.

The club is in all kinds of mess but he seems the wrong person to pile in on. Especially when he did crack and be honest when frankly sounding exhausted, it earned him 10 whole minutes on Footy Classified for apparently being unprofessional. It’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t thing

Well quite, but I don’t think the fall apart thing is on Max Gawn. And as Captain he is kind of required to speak in support of the organisation publicly.

The club is in all kinds of mess but he seems the wrong person to pile in on. Especially when he did crack and be honest when frankly sounding exhausted, it earned him 10 whole minutes on Footy Classified for apparently being unprofessional. It’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t thing
Im not solely blaming him, far from it, more so disappointed coz he actually has the power to get this thing back on track and moving in the right direction if he spoke up about how the gameplan sucks and the fans hate the club but he appears to be too loyal to Goody to do that. So therefore, **** Max Gawn too. :)

Im not solely blaming him, far from it, more so disappointed coz he actually has the power to get this thing back on track and moving in the right direction if he spoke up about how the gameplan sucks and the fans hate the club but he appears to be too loyal to Goody to do that. So therefore, **** Max Gawn too. :)
Might be a tad unfair.. He has to tow the line in public. Perhaps privately he is speaking up.

He probably does have his issues with the game plan but no genuine power to influence at all. He can’t sack anyone. And I’m prepared to bet he has conversations with the younger players to help them get through rocky patches. I don’t really recall any Captain coming out and saying that they no longer have confidence in the club. And I don’t think he does have the kind of power that you suggest. He just has to do his best internally and stay brave in front of media baying for blood. He hasn’t really had enough support or assistance in that area. Our dumb **** club rely way too heavily on him to be the spokesperson because everyone else sods it up so badly.

Personally I think that he strikes exactly the right tone in the media. He can’t share his inner thoughts on lots of matters, but is entertaining and engaging and comes across as truthful to the extent he is permitted given his job.

I’d love a boss / leader like that. Never had one.

C'mon, that's complete supposition, if players wanted out they would be demanding trades. Rivers, JVR, Windsor, Kolt, Kozzy all re-signed last 2 years, 4 of them from interstate as well. Plenty at the club needs fixing but this isn't Neeld/Schwab era levels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Gawn said the players are sick of playing boring Goody ball and have lost faith in the coach I can guarantee they (CEO and board) would listen. Goody would be gone for sure. Gawn is too busy trying to convince everyone Goody is the man however, blinded by loyalty, still living in 2021 like Goody.

If Gawn said the players are sick of playing boring Goody ball and have lost faith in the coach I can guarantee they (CEO and board) would listen. Goody would be gone for sure. Gawn is too busy trying to convince everyone Goody is the man however, blinded by loyalty, still living in 2021 like Goody.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Gawn likes boring football as it allows him to rack up those contested marks down the line. He is one player who benefits from that trash game style.

Of course Gawn can influence, Trac nearly destroyed the club from the inside. Gawn could absolutely help.
He still could. Petracca I mean. I don’t think this story is anywhere near concluded

He still could. Petracca I mean. I don’t think this story is anywhere near concluded
If Trac set fire to the club, literally, by burning down Casey Fields it could fast track the Caufield move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" (lol) Review, AFL's Largest Membership Drop and Lowest Social Media Growth 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Back