Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
how do you know his problems aren't related to having adhd and its medication. It's a life long issue and whenever extra stressors come along it generally seems worse. As someone with adhd myself I can see how the pile on of issues hes had in the last year would be harder for someone with adhd so it would exacerbate the condition. It's a cognitive disability and our brains can only hold onto what would be the space of a pinhole camera in a normal brain. So add in a break up, an injury, once something else comes into that tiny space you have in your working memory something else from your life generally drops off and it can manifest through your behaviour and impulsivity and you end up having a lot of issues trying to balance everything and your brain goes into burnout very easily. People who don't understand the condition will call you immature because of the way you come across as handling things because you're expected to handle them in a neurotypical way when you don't have a neurotypical brain or coping skills. It's sad how little everyone seems to know about this. The club seem to be doing the right thing by him supporting him alongside his medical team to get himself right and back to where he needs to be. This takes a lot longer for a person with adhd than a person without a cognitive disability
I have lots of empathy for anyone with ADHD, whilst also confessing to not be overly educated on the condition.

The club clearly have concerns with Clayton’s choices and decision making though, so separate to any ADHD issues and medications, there is still an expectation that he can do better.

I’m not dismissing his ADHD at all - just pointing out that the club sees his general maturity as the big issue of concern and the issue that he can improve upon the most.

how do you know his problems aren't related to having adhd and its medication. It's a life long issue and whenever extra stressors come along it generally seems worse. As someone with adhd myself I can see how the pile on of issues hes had in the last year would be harder for someone with adhd so it would exacerbate the condition. It's a cognitive disability and our brains can only hold onto what would be the space of a pinhole camera in a normal brain. So add in a break up, an injury, once something else comes into that tiny space you have in your working memory something else from your life generally drops off and it can manifest through your behaviour and impulsivity and you end up having a lot of issues trying to balance everything and your brain goes into burnout very easily. People who don't understand the condition will call you immature because of the way you come across as handling things because you're expected to handle them in a neurotypical way when you don't have a neurotypical brain or coping skills. It's sad how little everyone seems to know about this. The club seem to be doing the right thing by him supporting him alongside his medical team to get himself right and back to where he needs to be. This takes a lot longer for a person with adhd than a person without a cognitive disability
If Oliver's ADHD is as bad as you're suggesting and is the main reason for the situation he finds himself in now then I'm not sure you can simultaneously argue that the club is doing the right thing by him. If his condition is that serious then publicly airing the dirty laundry between him and the club and hanging him out to dry would be an extremely poor move from us.

Personally I don't think the club has handled the Oliver situation well at all, however, I suspect the club understands his issues intimately. If they are asking him to sort his life out in certain areas then they have to believe that these issues extend beyond his condition and that he is capable of meeting the standards required.

If Oliver's ADHD is as bad as you're suggesting and is the main reason for the situation he finds himself in now then I'm not sure you can simultaneously argue that the club is doing the right thing by him. If his condition is that serious then publicly airing the dirty laundry between him and the club and hanging him out to dry would be an extremely poor move from us.

Personally I don't think the club has handled the Oliver situation well at all, however, I suspect the club understands his issues intimately. If they are asking him to sort his life out in certain areas then they have to believe that these issues extend beyond his condition and that he is capable of meeting the standards required.
Yeah I think it's straight PR management.
If he's ADHD was so bad he can't function then he can't be a professional footballer. Seeing as he is I doubt the club tried to fix his ADHD by floating a trade.
It's a straight PR move for a pity party which has worked a little it seems. I hate it, should just own that he's being a dick head and start to work on it

If he's ADHD was so bad he can't function then he can't be a professional footballer. Seeing as he is I doubt the club tried to fix his ADHD by floating a trade.
It's a straight PR move for a pity party which has worked a little it seems. I hate it, should just own that he's being a dick head and start to work on it
Yeah I also think there's a fine line between being understanding of mental health issues and infantilising people who have those issues. When it gets to a point where people start to suggest any mental illness means someone isn't in control of their actions it's dangerous.

Yeah I also think there's a fine line between being understanding of mental health issues and infantilising people who have those issues. When it gets to a point where people start to suggest any mental illness means someone isn't in control of their actions it's dangerous.
If the ADHD was the overriding factor in it we wouldn't try trade him. It's like saying hey fix your ADHD or else! It doesn't even make sense. We've told him to fix something he can fix, be like if a club tried to trade someone for being depressed they'd be in so much legal trouble let alone the clubs image be in tatters

Not saying he can't function or it's "that bad" that he can't function and shouldn't play. In fact he still played fine when he came back but other parts of his life dropped off which is completely normal for ADHD. And anyone with it will tell you the same thing. I'm explaining that it is something that will fluctuate when you have challenges and you can take longer to overcome things. Unless you actually have the condition or are a doctor you're probably not qualified to understand how someone with its brain works. Just because people function highly with it doesn't mean they don't struggle every single day and have to put in ten times the effort to be at the standard of a neurotypical person.

Not saying he can't function or it's "that bad" that he can't function and shouldn't play. In fact he still played fine when he came back but other parts of his life dropped off which is completely normal for ADHD. And anyone with it will tell you the same thing. I'm explaining that it is something that will fluctuate when you have challenges and you can take longer to overcome things. Unless you actually have the condition or are a doctor you're probably not qualified to understand how someone with its brain works. Just because people function highly with it doesn't mean they don't struggle every single day and have to put in ten times the effort to be at the standard of a neurotypical person.
I'm not arguing with you about what ADHD does. What I'm telling you is if that's the case then you believe we threatened to trade him to Adelaide because he has a medical condition he can't control. The fact that we told him to shape up means it's about something we know he can change. That's a fact.

I'm not arguing with you about what ADHD does. What I'm telling you is if that's the case then you believe we threatened to trade him to Adelaide because he has a medical condition he can't control. The fact that we told him to shape up means it's about something we know he can change. That's a fact.
Maybe he wasn't following expert advice related to his medical condition? Not taking medications, inadequate rest, mixing cholesterol-lowering statins with grapefruit, all kinds of things that are within Oliver's control to change.

Maybe he wasn't following expert advice related to his medical condition? Not taking medications, inadequate rest, mixing cholesterol-lowering statins with grapefruit, all kinds of things that are within Oliver's control to change.
That's definitely possible, what I'm saying is I don't have any sympathy for him. Whatever it is it's something he's chosen to do as an adult and he can't hide behind a bullshit excuse.

Never knew this about Lachie Neale:

Steals of the draft: The 20 best value picks from the past 20 years

1. LACHIE NEALE - No.58 2011 Draft​

1-LACHIE-NEALE-No-58-2011-Draft_aO6hCeE6V.jpg

> 254 games
2 x Brownlow Medal, 3 x All-Australian, 5 x Best and Fairest
Co-captain Brisbane
There are some at Melbourne who still shudder at the sight of Lachie Neale in full flight. The Demons had two third-round picks (52 and 54) and were keen on Neale but instead made a late change for delisted Adelaide defender James Sellar. That allowed the Dockers to swoop on the South Australian teenager who‘d played senior football with Glenelg and been best-on-ground in a losing side in the U/18 SANFL Grand Final. The knock on him from recruiters was his size but there was no doubting Neale’s ball-getting ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone is on ADHD medicine now. It's all the rage.

I had a look at the questionnaire that they use to determine whether or not you have it. I reckon just about every teenage boy would meet the requirements. I have to wonder who came up with it?

I had a look at the questionnaire that they use to determine whether or not you have it. I reckon just about every teenage boy would meet the requirements. I have to wonder who came up with it?
I don't know what the **** I was watching but apparently ADHD cases up are 40% in the last 10 years 😂😂

Either people need to stop messing around with family members or something's up

It's not the rage, it's because medication has become more easily available, plus cheaper and with the population growth, more people are being diagnosed. Would have been a huge amount undiagnosed before medication became readily available. My son had to go to a gp, a paediatrician and a psych for diagnosis and to get medication. Even though medication is more available and cheaper, its still an effort to get diagnosed and medicated. It's not easy. It's genetics, nothing else. I have 3 kids in my class on medication and it affects each of them differently, however they are virtually uncontrollable without it. They aren't naughty kids, they are dealing with a disorder that's confusing and hard to manage. It's not imaginary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back