Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" (lol) Review, AFL's Largest Membership Drop and Lowest Social Media Growth 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Richo, Pert & Roffey are all the same. Deflection, rhetoric, cliché. Can't stand listening to the lot of them.

I used to think Richo was horrendous listening to him on AFL 360 when he was Saints coach. Couldn't believe we gave him another gig.

Blow up the whole place and start again.

...except JT, love you, mate.
I’d forgotten him on 360. Terrible. I had to start skipping the coaches section he was that bad.

The best coaches segment on 360 was oddly Paul Roos and Bomber Thompson. Was that 2014? Anyway it was when Bomber was being night watchman while Hird was in France, and a bit before the wheels entirely fell off and he went mad. Good segment.

Wonderful!

Second one is best where he starts calmly and works himself up into a manic rage. The honeymoon story was a nice touch.

Cheer louder!

The idea that Melbourne should have been a dynasty side irked me a little, but realising we won a flag despite how absolutely ****ing incompetent the people running the club are makes me wonder if perhaps we should have seen a flag in Melbourne.

What a bunch of clowns.

I think he might be a bit of a loon perhaps?

I did read the judgement and it’s not the great win Kate was making it out to be. Essentially Melbourne agreed terms for amending various rules throughout proceedings, which in turn made those arguments void because his issue was taken away. So actually, he won a bunch of the battles, but failed in his case that what remains is in breach of the corporations act.

It’s a pretty dry read but he does have a point. The whole election of directors thing does appear designed entirely to prevent those who haven’t essentially been hand-picked from a chance of making their case to the members who vote.

We may as well tear up the lot and not have a vote. That seems essentially the case as it stands anyway.
I get that, but there needs change at the top. It doesn't matter if he's a loon, anybody is better than Kate. She useless except when it comes to deflecting and ostrich-sanding, then she's WonderWoman.

I'm still astounded by that interview.

Two weeks of reports that Petracca's main grievance with the club is that he felt abandoned after the injury.

Roffey: I don't know what Petracca's issues are because I haven't spoken to him.

This was the part that really made me shake my head. Either pure spin, or absolute incompetence/lack of care.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sorry to jump in here but my God how bad was that performance from your President....
May have even eclipsed the one a few weeks back by the CEO. Actually, it did. I didn’t think I could get angrier. Melbourne really have a way of bringing out the best in me.

I’ve not really listened to any shows with talkback but it’s a riot! I listened today and was well entertained. Must do it more often.

Do all callers spend so much time announcing their age, their blood pressure issues etc? Or is that just Melbourne supporters? I liked the guy who circled back to the fact that he is overweight about 3 or 4 times. I can’t remember how that linked into his comments but I enjoyed it anyway.
I reckon Melbourne supporters are the absolute goats of announcing how long they've been members for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still astounded by that interview.

Two weeks of reports that Petracca's main grievance with the club is that he felt abandoned after the injury.

Roffey: I don't know what Petracca's issues are because I haven't spoken to him.
This is what I took out of it.

I find it staggering to think that apparently the club is in regular communication with Petracca or Petracca's team, but Roffey doesn't know what the issues are?

Seems very unusual.

The only people i feel sorry for at the club are the departments that have to answer general enquires or the membership department

Does anyone else get the impression that Roffey, Pert and Goody are high fiving each other at the club at how well the interview went today?

Oh wow what a day!

I just got an email from ceo@melbournefc. It went like this

Hi [Gander]

Thank you for getting in touch with the Melbourne Football Club.

I’d firstly like to take a moment to acknowledge your frustrations. Please know that we hear these. There’s no doubt that recent months have made for some challenging moments, for our players, coaches, staff and members like yourself, and we understand the emotions that come with that.

As we approach the AFL Trade Period, we expect a significant amount of rumour and speculation in relation to player movement, and are evidently aware of commentary surrounding Christian Petracca. As we have previously said, both in a recent letter to members and in the media, Christian is an integral and valued part of the Melbourne family. He is a contracted player, and will be wearing the red and blue next season.

As a football club, all we want to do is get better. The 2024 AFL season wasn’t the one we had hoped for, and the focus is now on understanding what is required to move forward. There have been conversations with many of our leaders over recent weeks about our opportunities for growth. These conversations have been open and constructive, and we are committed to working together to find a path forward, to ensure we can be the best we can be in 2025.

We want to stress the importance of every single member whose heart beats true, so we thank you again for taking the time to reach out. We will need your support both now and into the future, [Gander] so we hope you can stick with us.

Regards,

Jessica
Double gaps between paragraphs, could things possibly get any worse at the club?!

Bloody armatures!

Imagine this same situation, and instead of Trac, Kate and the MFC, it was Eddie McGuire, Nick Daicos and the Pies.

He would dead set have been in the operation theatre with him, had a cot lined up next to him in the ICU, moved in with him when he was well enough to be discharged and sponge bathed him three times a day.

Kate can't even make a phone call in three months!

If anybody wants to re-live the trainwreck:

Full show (callers at about 1 hr 17 mins):

God talk back callers are gold. Robyn (about 31mins to go in full clip).

She was so angry she couldn't get petraccas name out properly twice so gave up.

I don't think she coherently finished even one sentence, just trailed off into a new one each time. Reminded me a lot of Paul Roos.

Imagine this same situation, and instead of Trac, Kate and the MFC, it was Eddie McGuire, Nick Daicos and the Pies.

He would dead set have been in the operation theatre with him, had a cot lined up next to him in the ICU, moved in with him when he was well enough to be discharged and sponge bathed him three times a day.

Kate can't even make a phone call in three months!

Meh, suprised how soft as butter everyone is this day and age. Who gives a shit if she rang him or not. Just more of modern day trend of fishing for things to be outraged about.

He can **** off if he is going to sook it up about not getting a phone call.

Shit coaching = I am outraged
Shit list management = i am outraged
Not getting a phone call = I couldn’t give 2 ****s

So just a regular Tuesday night for Eddie then (minus the ICU).

Roffey has to go, plain and simple. That was a disgusting performance, no wonder there’s so much discontent/leaking at the lower levels. If you can’t believe in the overall leader of the club who can you believe in?

I was listening live and the ‘they all want to go home at some stage’ line shocked me the most. She tried to cover it up by mentioning Petty soon after but her original intent was clear.

Get her out ASAP.

Proper Gander has inspired me to write my own letter to the bigwigs. It's a bit of a brain dump but in doing heaps of thinking about the club in the past 48 hours, the one thing I kept getting angry about is the gamestyle.

Players may come and go but if we continue Goody's current gamestyle, I know one thing - fans will drop off. Which in turn may affect some players' happiness/motivation, which can turn into some sort of doom loop.

Anyway, FWIW, here's what I wrote.

---------------------------------------

Dear Gary and Kate,

I doubt I’ll get a reply to this letter.

But the reason I am writing is I once again fear for the future of the club I’ve been supporting for almost 40 years.

I’ve been a member for a long time, donated money, been a part of the Future Fund and now buy annual memberships not for just me, but two children who I’ve tried to indoctrinate into the red and blue family. It’s working, for now, but who knows if it will continue with the way things are progressing.

Of course, from afar, how would I know the inner workings and machinations of the club.

What I can see is the 2+ hours each week we run out in the red and blue.

This year, and the vast majority of the past three years, that product has been dull, lifeless, uninspiring and unfulfilling.

This is the first year I haven’t been to a game for about 25 years. Why would I expend so much time, money and effort to attend a game where the absolute best outcome is a grinding win where we kick 10 goals and our opponents kick 9?

I have a 7 year old son and a 4 year old daughter. I’m yet to take them to a live game. How could our gameplan excite young kids with limited attention spans?

When I watch us on TV, instead of being locked in for the full game, it's not that long before I think about switching channels. Entertainment is everywhere on our screens - if we're not being entertained by the footy being played, why continue watching?

If Christian Petracca (and other players) don’t enjoy playing in front of small crowds, I understand that. But these things go both ways - supporters don’t enjoy watching teams based solely on #contestdefence

C#contestdefenceave (I hope not); so may Kozzie Pickett (doubly hope not), maybe others. I’m not totally stressed about that, as I’m sure we’ll get great compensation for them and our young brigade looks excellent.

After the premiership and getting to record memberships, we had a once-in-a-generation (or multiple generation) opportunity to drag ourselves out of ‘small club’ territory. It looked like we had, until the past 12 months or so.

One thing above all needs to change. We need excitement back on the field - 17 other teams are more exciting than ours; they play with speed, dare and exuberance while we play with a dour determination to grind away and hopefully secure a tight win. The fans hate it, I’m sure the broadcasters don’t enjoy it and even the players look tense and downtrodden and bereft of any joy during games.

Isn’t sport supposed to be fun - for players and spectators?

Simon Goodwin may well be well liked by the players and everyone else at the club, and we will forever be in his debut for helping deliver the 2021 flag. But he must evolve, or we must choose a new coach who can evolve.

Otherwise we’ll slip back into the irrelevance we so bravely (and briefly) conquered in 2021.

Proper Gander has inspired me to write my own letter to the bigwigs. It's a bit of a brain dump but in doing heaps of thinking about the club in the past 48 hours, the one thing I kept getting angry about is the gamestyle.

Players may come and go but if we continue Goody's current gamestyle, I know one thing - fans will drop off. Which in turn may affect some players' happiness/motivation, which can turn into some sort of doom loop.

Anyway, FWIW, here's what I wrote.

---------------------------------------

Dear Gary and Kate,

I doubt I’ll get a reply to this letter.

But the reason I am writing is I once again fear for the future of the club I’ve been supporting for almost 40 years.

I’ve been a member for a long time, donated money, been a part of the Future Fund and now buy annual memberships not for just me, but two children who I’ve tried to indoctrinate into the red and blue family. It’s working, for now, but who knows if it will continue with the way things are progressing.

Of course, from afar, how would I know the inner workings and machinations of the club.

What I can see is the 2+ hours each week we run out in the red and blue.

This year, and the vast majority of the past three years, that product has been dull, lifeless, uninspiring and unfulfilling.

This is the first year I haven’t been to a game for about 25 years. Why would I expend so much time, money and effort to attend a game where the absolute best outcome is a grinding win where we kick 10 goals and our opponents kick 9?

I have a 7 year old son and a 4 year old daughter. I’m yet to take them to a live game. How could our gameplan excite young kids with limited attention spans?

When I watch us on TV, instead of being locked in for the full game, it's not that long before I think about switching channels. Entertainment is everywhere on our screens - if we're not being entertained by the footy being played, why continue watching?

If Christian Petracca (and other players) don’t enjoy playing in front of small crowds, I understand that. But these things go both ways - supporters don’t enjoy watching teams based solely on #contestdefence

C#contestdefenceave (I hope not); so may Kozzie Pickett (doubly hope not), maybe others. I’m not totally stressed about that, as I’m sure we’ll get great compensation for them and our young brigade looks excellent.

After the premiership and getting to record memberships, we had a once-in-a-generation (or multiple generation) opportunity to drag ourselves out of ‘small club’ territory. It looked like we had, until the past 12 months or so.

One thing above all needs to change. We need excitement back on the field - 17 other teams are more exciting than ours; they play with speed, dare and exuberance while we play with a dour determination to grind away and hopefully secure a tight win. The fans hate it, I’m sure the broadcasters don’t enjoy it and even the players look tense and downtrodden and bereft of any joy during games.

Isn’t sport supposed to be fun - for players and spectators?

Simon Goodwin may well be well liked by the players and everyone else at the club, and we will forever be in his debut for helping deliver the 2021 flag. But he must evolve, or we must choose a new coach who can evolve.

Otherwise we’ll slip back into the irrelevance we so bravely (and briefly) conquered in 2021.
Would laugh my ass off if you got the exact same reply Gander did from Jessica. Decent chance I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" (lol) Review, AFL's Largest Membership Drop and Lowest Social Media Growth 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Back