Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" (lol) Review, AFL's Largest Membership Drop and Lowest Social Media Growth 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Proper Gander has inspired me to write my own letter to the bigwigs. It's a bit of a brain dump but in doing heaps of thinking about the club in the past 48 hours, the one thing I kept getting angry about is the gamestyle.

Players may come and go but if we continue Goody's current gamestyle, I know one thing - fans will drop off. Which in turn may affect some players' happiness/motivation, which can turn into some sort of doom loop.

Anyway, FWIW, here's what I wrote.

---------------------------------------

Dear Gary and Kate,

I doubt I’ll get a reply to this letter.

But the reason I am writing is I once again fear for the future of the club I’ve been supporting for almost 40 years.

I’ve been a member for a long time, donated money, been a part of the Future Fund and now buy annual memberships not for just me, but two children who I’ve tried to indoctrinate into the red and blue family. It’s working, for now, but who knows if it will continue with the way things are progressing.

Of course, from afar, how would I know the inner workings and machinations of the club.

What I can see is the 2+ hours each week we run out in the red and blue.

This year, and the vast majority of the past three years, that product has been dull, lifeless, uninspiring and unfulfilling.

This is the first year I haven’t been to a game for about 25 years. Why would I expend so much time, money and effort to attend a game where the absolute best outcome is a grinding win where we kick 10 goals and our opponents kick 9?

I have a 7 year old son and a 4 year old daughter. I’m yet to take them to a live game. How could our gameplan excite young kids with limited attention spans?

When I watch us on TV, instead of being locked in for the full game, it's not that long before I think about switching channels. Entertainment is everywhere on our screens - if we're not being entertained by the footy being played, why continue watching?

If Christian Petracca (and other players) don’t enjoy playing in front of small crowds, I understand that. But these things go both ways - supporters don’t enjoy watching teams based solely on #contestdefence

C#contestdefenceave (I hope not); so may Kozzie Pickett (doubly hope not), maybe others. I’m not totally stressed about that, as I’m sure we’ll get great compensation for them and our young brigade looks excellent.

After the premiership and getting to record memberships, we had a once-in-a-generation (or multiple generation) opportunity to drag ourselves out of ‘small club’ territory. It looked like we had, until the past 12 months or so.

One thing above all needs to change. We need excitement back on the field - 17 other teams are more exciting than ours; they play with speed, dare and exuberance while we play with a dour determination to grind away and hopefully secure a tight win. The fans hate it, I’m sure the broadcasters don’t enjoy it and even the players look tense and downtrodden and bereft of any joy during games.

Isn’t sport supposed to be fun - for players and spectators?

Simon Goodwin may well be well liked by the players and everyone else at the club, and we will forever be in his debut for helping deliver the 2021 flag. But he must evolve, or we must choose a new coach who can evolve.

Otherwise we’ll slip back into the irrelevance we so bravely (and briefly) conquered in 2021.
Brilliantly written (would expect nothing less ;)). Good stuff

Proper Gander has inspired me to write my own letter to the bigwigs. It's a bit of a brain dump but in doing heaps of thinking about the club in the past 48 hours, the one thing I kept getting angry about is the gamestyle.

Players may come and go but if we continue Goody's current gamestyle, I know one thing - fans will drop off. Which in turn may affect some players' happiness/motivation, which can turn into some sort of doom loop.

Dear Gary and Kate,

But the reason I am writing is I once again fear for the future of the club I’ve been supporting for almost 40 years.

I’ve been a member for a long time, donated money, been a part of the Future Fund and now buy annual memberships not for just me, but two children who I’ve tried to indoctrinate into the red and blue family. It’s working, for now, but who knows if it will continue with the way things are progressing.

Of course, from afar, how would I know the inner workings and machinations of the club.

This year, and the vast majority of the past three years, that product has been dull, lifeless, uninspiring and unfulfilling.

This is the first year I haven’t been to a game for about 25 years. Why would I expend so much time, money and effort to attend a game where the absolute best outcome is a grinding win where we kick 10 goals and our opponents kick 9?

I have a 7 year old son and a 4 year old daughter. I’m yet to take them to a live game. How could our gameplan excite young kids with limited attention spans?

When I watch us on TV, instead of being locked in for the full game, it's not that long before I think about switching channels. Entertainment is everywhere on our screens - if we're not being entertained by the footy being played, why continue watching?

If Christian Petracca (and other players) don’t enjoy playing in front of small crowds, I understand that. But these things go both ways - supporters don’t enjoy watching teams based solely on #contestdefence

C#contestdefenceave (I hope not); so may Kozzie Pickett (doubly hope not), maybe others. I’m not totally stressed about that, as I’m sure we’ll get great compensation for them and our young brigade looks excellent.

After the premiership and getting to record memberships, we had a once-in-a-generation (or multiple generation) opportunity to drag ourselves out of ‘small club’ territory. It looked like we had, until the past 12 months or so.

One thing above all needs to change. We need excitement back on the field - 17 other teams are more exciting than ours; they play with speed, dare and exuberance while we play with a dour determination to grind away and hopefully secure a tight win. The fans hate it, I’m sure the broadcasters don’t enjoy it and even the players look tense and downtrodden and bereft of any joy during games.

Simon Goodwin may well be well liked by the players and everyone else at the club, and we will forever be in his debut for helping deliver the 2021 flag. But he must evolve, or we must choose a new coach who can evolve.

Otherwise we’ll slip back into the irrelevance we so bravely (and briefly) conquered in 2021.
You nailed the bit that I don’t think they understand with the “17 other teams are more exciting than ours”.

Sadly I think they have no respect for the fan base, and no real idea what they would like to see. They will just say yeah members aren’t happy because we didn’t win enough games this year. Which isn’t the point at all.

And if they are thinking like that, then we waste 1,2,3 more years plugging list holes with delisted mature players and trading in so-so types for a bigger paycheque with some idea that if we can scrape finals the job is done.

Rip off the band aid and look at 2025, even 26 as development years. Let Petracca go. He doesn’t want to be a part of it and we’re not going to do the club any long term good by trying to scrape finals which is where he wants to be playing.

I’m looking forward to Jessica’s read on this though.

Dear Gary and Kate,

Really well spoken mate, great stuff.

I still haven't given the full listen yet. But i'm really starting to think she's not only incompetent, but to me she feels almost like a figure head president. I would not be surprised if she's been advised to keep a low profile up until now, because of how badly it would go

Roffey should go and rightful so, but i wouldn't be surprised if her incompetence as president is sold as a chance for others to further their own agenda, much like she supposedly did prior.

Just looking from the outside in, i obviously have no idea what goes on at board meetings. To me the rot seems to extend beyond just Pert and Roffey

Really wish Gerard asked Roffey about the home base.

Wasn't that her supposed strength area when she took on the role? If she can't fast-track that, surely we can find someone better.

As an aside, heard a podcast with Russell Robertson the other day re the Trac stuff and he said don't underestimate the facilities angle in terms of player unrest. Basically every other team in the league has great facilities and a home base, while we don't

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wasn't that her supposed strength area when she took on the role? If she can't fast-track that, surely we can find someone better.

As an aside, heard a podcast with Russell Robertson the other day re the Trac stuff and he said don't underestimate the facilities angle in terms of player unrest. Basically every other team in the league has great facilities and a home base, while we don't

Phil Davis brought it up in his segment with Whateley too.

He also said on a different episode that Chris Judd actually came to see our facilities when seeking a trade and thought ‘wtf is this?’ and chose Carlton.

Our lack of home base is terrible for the club, you wonder how we attract anyone to come here.

Bit naive here but shouldn't the MCC have the clout to get us space in the MCG for the boys and girls to train on, why can't they use use their finances to help find us somewhere close by to train?

Bunch of dickheads.
The MCC are the ones that kicked us out :laughv1:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We shouldn't even be allowed at the MCG we should be playing at the junction oval or marvel
Will never ever happen but I would absolutely trade the MCG for a boutique 30k seat stadium.

She was there to do one thing, deliver a new training facility which she has not done. Many believed that because she was part of a team that got the western Melbourne soccer stadium through in Wyndham she could deliver this project.

There is a running joke at Wyndham council about how she and the former CEO absolutely ****ed the place with mismanagement of funds and being fiscally irresponsible. This is impacting their decision making now and monetary spending now years after she has left

Clearly out of her depth.

In my experience a vast majority of leaders in the Non for Profit sector and or local government are pretty ****ing useless compared to the commercial sector. She comes from the later

Below is a snippet of what makes her a great leader according to her. Pretty ****ing laughable after her interview

1724974140897.png

I met Russell Robertson when we were sponsors of Ben Kennedy, and I got to go on this tour thing where Robbo shows me around at training, and we got to see the ping pong table at AAMI donated by Clint Bartram and wander around the G.

Robbo told some great stories about the Junction Oval days. Virtually no equipment. Fitness training compromised a bit of a Knees-up Mother Brown job around the oval perimeter and stretching took place in the car park.

I would have loved to be there the day we took Chris Judd around

I met Russell Robertson when we were sponsors of Ben Kennedy, and I got to go on this tour thing where Robbo shows me around at training, and we got to see the ping pong table at AAMI donated by Clint Bartram and wander around the G.

Robbo told some great stories about the Junction Oval days. Virtually no equipment. Fitness training compromised a bit of a Knees-up Mother Brown job around the oval perimeter and stretching took place in the car park.

I would have loved to be there the day we took Chris Judd around
Think Juddy has luscious hair before he toured and by the time he left he was bald as a badger

The media should have listened to the Dees big footy board sooner. We are 🎓 over here. Instead they were telling us to stop overreacting and whinging and be happy that we won a flag. :$

(sorry Legs, got you on ignore again and didnt see you were referring to you posting it earlier)

Last edited:
mean girls shut up GIF

This is all 12 months too late, should have dealt with that fat blob of ginger cancer when we had the chance
And if we didnt give Goodwin the extension before the straights sets exit last year he'd be out the door also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" (lol) Review, AFL's Largest Membership Drop and Lowest Social Media Growth 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Back