Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" (lol) Review, AFL's Largest Membership Drop and Lowest Social Media Growth 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone post full article..

Melbourne star Christian Petracca consulted trusted confidants both inside and outside the club – including teammates – last week before choosing to put an end to trade speculation, while moves are being made to convince a former player and Melbourne Cricket Club chairman to join the board.

Petracca’s carefully chosen words were part of a club statement released on the same day as he made it clear to the club he would remain with the Demons, where he is contracted until the end of 2029.

His statement indicated that his primary motivation for enduring weeks of speculation about his future, and where his motivations lay, was simple: To make the football club, and its culture, better so they can regularly contend for premierships again. That was backed up by an industry source familiar with Petracca’s thinking who wished to remain anonymous to speak freely.

Petracca also debunked any notion that he hoped to leave Melbourne to improve his brand and play in front of bigger crowds.

“I love my footy – it remains my number one priority and always has been,” Petracca said.

After those discussions with trusted parties, Petracca was satisfied enough that broad issues would be addressed to commit to rolling up his sleeves and contribute to finding solutions for Melbourne to end the external discussion. It’s not clear if any commitments were made to Petracca.

However, what has become clear is that the hierarchy is now on notice that change needs to be made in the best interests of the club, with powerbrokers looking to Steven Smith to step up. Smith, who retired from his legal career several months ago, is believed to be weighing up the move according to two sources with knowledge of his thinking who preferred to remain anonymous due to the private nature of conversations.

That’s where attention will now turn with skipper Max Gawn – who has been forced to address the issues constantly in the post-season – admitting on Triple M radio on Friday that the external communication of the club’s position had not matched the communication internally.

“There has definitely been multiple times where key leaders have got out and maybe said something that they potentially shouldn’t have,” Gawn said. “But, internally, I am extremely proud of the conversations we are having.”

President Kate Roffey’s underwhelming interview on Whateley on Thursday, when the searchlight for her became a spotlight, has put her under pressure.

Known as someone confident enough to speak publicly without notes, she could not find the words to meet the moment, despite being prepared for what was to come when in front of the microphone.

An internal review being conducted by CEO Gary Pert is already well-advanced, however Roffey refused to accept that an independent review conducted by people outside the club was necessary during her now infamous interview.

Carlton conducted an independent review into their football department in 2021, while St Kilda president Andrew Bassat conducted a review of the Saints in 2022. Demons great David Schwarz has called for his club to hold an independent review, as has board challenger Peter Lawrence.

Petracca – with some justification according to those close to him – wants to move forward, using the off-season to wind down to recuperate from the serious injuries he suffered on King’s Birthday and let the club get on with the job after a gruelling week that included the prospect of a trade being raised.

A source familiar with the situation, who wished to remain anonymous due to the nature of the conversations, said Petracca had not directly requested a trade but made it clear that, unless the club seriously addressed ongoing concerns, he would be open to exploring that option.

It was not delivered as an ultimatum but as a sign to his level of frustration.

Those close to Petracca understood such a move would be difficult to achieve while the Demons remain united and steadfast in their refusal to entertain moving on their star midfielder.

According to a club source who wanted to remain anonymous, Petracca had been in good spirits at the club’s “wacky Wednesday”, with his ability to repeat famous movie lines and Luna Park smile both on full display. His teammates, although bemused that his dissatisfaction could lead to a trade request, had been comfortable with the direction of the conversations they were having with their teammate and will be happy he’s staying.

The club is also throwing its support behind Kysaiah Pickett, who does not want to be traded but informed the club last week he felt homesick at times.

A source close to Pickett, who preferred to remain anonymous to speak freely, said that was reinforced post-season when he caught up with AFL footballers playing in Western Australia who encouraged him to think about joining them. However, a trade has never been seriously considered.

The club was contacted on Sunday but chose not to comment on what led to Petracca’s decision to put an end to the speculation. Smith was also contacted for comment.

Thanks Maverick!

This part interest me..

A source familiar with the situation, who wished to remain anonymous due to the nature of the conversations, said Petracca had not directly requested a trade but made it clear that, unless the club seriously addressed ongoing concerns, he would be open to exploring that option.

Could one of those concerns mean no more baby sitting a certain number #13?

Thanks Maverick!

This part interest me..

Could one of those concerns mean no more baby sitting a certain number #13?
Tom Morris mentioned on the SEN interview that Trac didn't necessarily have a problem with Oliver, more a problem that the club had allowed his situation to get so bad.

So if anything, more babysitting for Oliver..

Tom Morris mentioned on the SEN interview that Trac didn't necessarily have a problem with Oliver, more a problem that the club had allowed his situation to get so bad.

So if anything, more babysitting for Oliver..

I interpreted that differently:

I took it as Trac was supportive of Clarry's issues as a person but perhaps the club put too much effort into babysitting Clarry to the detriment of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t believe it!

I just got a reply from Jessica! What a legend!

Dear [Gander]

Thank you for your email and contacting the Melbourne Football Club.

We acknowledge your email and appreciate you taking the time to articulate your concerns regarding our club.

Please know that every email received is being read and we are hearing your feedback.

We appreciate the frustration of our passionate members and supporters right now and acknowledge it is a difficult period.

Your support, passion and commitment has never been more important and is appreciated by the club’s leaders, players, coaches and staff.

FYI, my favourite album is Graceland also. If Paul Simon lived in Melbourne, I'm sure he'd be a Dees supporter.

Regards,
Jessica

I don’t believe it!

Dear [Gander]

We acknowledge your email and appreciate you taking the time to articulate your concerns regarding our club.

Please know that every email received is being read and we are hearing your feedback.

We appreciate the frustration of our passionate members and supporters right now and acknowledge it is a difficult period.

Your support, passion and commitment has never been more important and is appreciated by the club’s leaders, players, coaches and staff.

FYI, my favourite album is Graceland also. If Paul Simon lived in Melbourne, I'm sure he'd be a Dees supporter.

Regards,
Jessica
I think we've found our next president.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I interpreted that differently:

I took it as Trac was supportive of Clarry's issues as a person but perhaps the club put too much effort into babysitting Clarry to the detriment of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah you might be right, "issues with how the club handled Clayton Oliver" is a vague one, hard to interpret. But it would make sense if Trac was annoyed that an unfit, unprepared, uncommitted player was still being selected week in week out just so the club could keep him busy.

I don’t believe it!

Dear [Gander]

Regards,
Jessica
Joe Gutnick can't get a reply but your nutty letter can. This club is hilarious.

Melbourne star Christian Petracca consulted trusted confidants both inside and outside the club – including teammates – last week before choosing to put an end to trade speculation, while moves are being made to convince a former player and Melbourne Cricket Club chairman to join the board.

Petracca’s carefully chosen words were part of a club statement released on the same day as he made it clear to the club he would remain with the Demons, where he is contracted until the end of 2029.

His statement indicated that his primary motivation for enduring weeks of speculation about his future, and where his motivations lay, was simple: To make the football club, and its culture, better so they can regularly contend for premierships again. That was backed up by an industry source familiar with Petracca’s thinking who wished to remain anonymous to speak freely.

Petracca also debunked any notion that he hoped to leave Melbourne to improve his brand and play in front of bigger crowds.

“I love my footy – it remains my number one priority and always has been,” Petracca said.

After those discussions with trusted parties, Petracca was satisfied enough that broad issues would be addressed to commit to rolling up his sleeves and contribute to finding solutions for Melbourne to end the external discussion. It’s not clear if any commitments were made to Petracca.

However, what has become clear is that the hierarchy is now on notice that change needs to be made in the best interests of the club, with powerbrokers looking to Steven Smith to step up. Smith, who retired from his legal career several months ago, is believed to be weighing up the move according to two sources with knowledge of his thinking who preferred to remain anonymous due to the private nature of conversations.

That’s where attention will now turn with skipper Max Gawn – who has been forced to address the issues constantly in the post-season – admitting on Triple M radio on Friday that the external communication of the club’s position had not matched the communication internally.

“There has definitely been multiple times where key leaders have got out and maybe said something that they potentially shouldn’t have,” Gawn said. “But, internally, I am extremely proud of the conversations we are having.”

President Kate Roffey’s underwhelming interview on Whateley on Thursday, when the searchlight for her became a spotlight, has put her under pressure.

Known as someone confident enough to speak publicly without notes, she could not find the words to meet the moment, despite being prepared for what was to come when in front of the microphone.

An internal review being conducted by CEO Gary Pert is already well-advanced, however Roffey refused to accept that an independent review conducted by people outside the club was necessary during her now infamous interview.

Carlton conducted an independent review into their football department in 2021, while St Kilda president Andrew Bassat conducted a review of the Saints in 2022. Demons great David Schwarz has called for his club to hold an independent review, as has board challenger Peter Lawrence.

Petracca – with some justification according to those close to him – wants to move forward, using the off-season to wind down to recuperate from the serious injuries he suffered on King’s Birthday and let the club get on with the job after a gruelling week that included the prospect of a trade being raised.

It was not delivered as an ultimatum but as a sign to his level of frustration.

Those close to Petracca understood such a move would be difficult to achieve while the Demons remain united and steadfast in their refusal to entertain moving on their star midfielder.

According to a club source who wanted to remain anonymous, Petracca had been in good spirits at the club’s “wacky Wednesday”, with his ability to repeat famous movie lines and Luna Park smile both on full display. His teammates, although bemused that his dissatisfaction could lead to a trade request, had been comfortable with the direction of the conversations they were having with their teammate and will be happy he’s staying.

The club is also throwing its support behind Kysaiah Pickett, who does not want to be traded but informed the club last week he felt homesick at times.

A source close to Pickett, who preferred to remain anonymous to speak freely, said that was reinforced post-season when he caught up with AFL footballers playing in Western Australia who encouraged him to think about joining them. However, a trade has never been seriously considered.

The club was contacted on Sunday but chose not to comment on what led to Petracca’s decision to put an end to the speculation. Smith was also contacted for comment.
So never requested a trade. Did all thos have to be played out the way it did? Things are never as bad as what they seem and things are never as good as what they seem. Maybe getting in the media puts heat on Roffey, Pert etc, but the last week like I figured has led to Trac and Koz staying yet us looking like a rabble to any potential draftees or targeted trades trac had a bit of a sook, some reasons were fair others weren't, now hopefully the club can unite, fix those issues and get on with allowing Tim Lamb to f* this list up even more.

According to a club source who wanted to remain anonymous, Petracca had been in good spirits at the club’s “wacky Wednesday”, with his ability to repeat famous movie lines and Luna Park smile both on full display.

What famous movie lines do we think Petracca was reciting on Wacky Wednesday?

"You can't handle the truth!"

"I'll be back."

"I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

Is the Luna Park smile part of the big book of British smiles?
First time I went to Luna Park as a little kid I was absolutely terrified of going in.

"Can't sleep. Clown will eat me."

Trac movie lines: "You're all a bunch of ****in' assholes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be. You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your ****in' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy."

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" (lol) Review, AFL's Largest Membership Drop and Lowest Social Media Growth 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Back