Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part IV – Roffey Gone, Brad Green New President, Steven Smith Says No, "External" (Not Really) Review Coming 🔍

Remove this Banner Ad

There was chatter about bucks coming in as a coach which would be nice a lot more people are keen to see him as an assistant rather than the new full on coach, I say bring the man in he will help get this squad back on track to a finals win and another cup this time in melbourne

Based on what? All the flags he's won? Collingwood going from 17th to winning a flag not long after he got sacked? The fantastic culture they had in his time? Big no to Bucks as senior coach.

Okay so I sent the club my email. I went with polite but disappointed in the forlorn hope it is actually read and considered, but I seriously doubt it. It goes like this:

Dear Kate

Thank you for providing members with the opportunity to contact you directly.

I am a lifelong supporter of the Demons and have been a member for nearly 20 years. I have loved the club for a long time and been the sponsor (in turn) of Ben Kennedy, Jake Lever, Nathan Jones and James Harmes. I have donated freely to rid the club of debt during 2007 and 2008. This is a lot of money for me. I’m not wealthy. I’m an ordinary worker. I can’t afford a house, a Range Rover or a trip to Mt Buller. And I’m not alone.

Given all this, I wanted to give you some honest, candid feedback about the way I feel I am being treated by the club President.

Recently, and not for the first time, you have gone public to tell members to attend games and ‘cheer louder’. And just this week you have compared, unfavourably, members and supporters of Melbourne to the members and supporters of Collingwood in attendance. And have further accused us of not being sufficiently noisy during games. They are a much bigger club, with more than 35 thousand more supporters than Melbourne. Our overall attendance is excellent in terms of the number of members. And all of them are paying a fair bit of money to the club.

I don’t know whether you watched Collingwood play last year. It was genuinely exciting, attacking, fast-flowing football and, if I were a Collingwood fan, I have no doubt I would have cheered louder than anyone. The reason I find it difficult to engage with Melbourne games these days is because we have spent the last two years playing a depressing and frustrating style of football. I do know that we have made top four in the home and away season two years running, but this isn’t why I watch football. It is supposed to be entertaining and I’m not entertained. I don’t really want to cheer watching the midfield kick the ball into orbit to arrive in a horribly congested forward line with nobody leading, and then repeatedly fail to convert. I’m not blaming the players – all teams struggle with form from time to time. But I was incredibly disappointed that you claim that noisy crowds make a difference to the players. It seems that you are blaming us for the team’s failure to win a final in two years. Because we aren’t loud enough.

This isn’t about wins and losses. I would rather watch entertaining football and genuine growth in the way we play, even if we lose. And I don’t want to be told to cheer when I’m not seeing anything I enjoy.

I did enjoy the 2021 Grand Final and imagine that there was a fair bit of noise from the crowd. You would know better than me. You got to go. I, like many supporters, had to watch alone in my house on the couch with the cat. And now you want to tell me that I don’t attend enough games or cheer enough. I watched our opening game for the season. I gave it my best but kicking 2.8 in a half of football didn’t inspire me to ‘make a noise’. I don’t know if you notice the failings of our coach and players – you certainly seem to notice mine. You ask me to spend more and more money and then repeatedly tell me I’m not doing enough.

If there was a time for you to make a noise, it was when the club was facing a barrage of criticism for its ‘culture’ over the off-season. I saw Max Gawn facing the media on numerous occasions. I didn’t see you.

I am a paid-up member, but I don’t know how much longer I will be when the key decision makers of the club are so tone-deaf to the feelings of their members. And I have no confidence that you or anyone else will pay any attention to this feedback, but I wanted you to understand that I am hurt and disappointed by your comments.

Other than this, I do hope that your presidency of the club is a success and that I can learn to enjoy the Demons again.

Yours sincerely

(Insert your favourite name here)
I actually am keen to see if you get a reply. Mine was probably ignored because of the way I talk they assumed I can't afford a membership anyway but you're the type of person they should hold onto

I actually am keen to see if you get a reply. Mine was probably ignored because of the way I talk they assumed I can't afford a membership anyway but you're the type of person they should hold onto
Yeah I tried to sound a bit posh, but felt more like just yelling for a page or so.

And I don’t give a rats whether Kate has a successful presidency.

I’m betting already that I get an Eddie Maguire type response like “we’re sorry that YOU feel this way” so we all get to be wrong again.

Yeah I tried to sound a bit posh, but felt more like just yelling for a page or so.

And I don’t give a rats whether Kate has a successful presidency.

I’m betting already that I get an Eddie Maguire type response like “we’re sorry that YOU feel this way” so we all get to be wrong again.
Someone here needs to become the equivalent of the Richmond microwave bloke on SEN

If you get a reply I can almost bet its some generic nonsense and not even from Kate. She doesnt like answering hard questions and facing criticism
Dear madam/sir/other
Thank-you/**** you for your email
We appreciate/hate your concern/concern for the club/me

If you'd like to learn/criticize us further, please come down to our environment.

Signed
Me

I completely understand the argument that we knew full well Brayshaw was an early retirement risk, but:

The AFL can't possibly set the precedent that clubs have to include payments for players retired due to concussion in the salary cap. They are in all sorts of strife legally already and they can't afford a future situation where a player is pressured or encouraged to continue playing despite concussion concerns. I'm 99% sure they will allow us to pay it outside a cap and in the near future the AFL itself will have to set up an extremely large fund to pay for such circumstances and ongoing healthcare for players in this scenario.
100% the knock on affect would be crazy. The AFL maybe need to put a cap on length of contracts. Not sure how that gets controlled but no way a club should be paying a player within the cap if they're forced to retire from head injuries from playing.

Okay so I sent the club my email. I went with polite but disappointed in the forlorn hope it is actually read and considered, but I seriously doubt it. It goes like this:

Dear Kate

I am a lifelong supporter of the Demons and have been a member for nearly 20 years. I have loved the club for a long time and been the sponsor (in turn) of Ben Kennedy, Jake Lever, Nathan Jones and James Harmes. I have donated freely to rid the club of debt during 2007 and 2008. This is a lot of money for me. I’m not wealthy. I’m an ordinary worker. I can’t afford a house, a Range Rover or a trip to Mt Buller. And I’m not alone.

Given all this, I wanted to give you some honest, candid feedback about the way I feel I am being treated by the club President.

Recently, and not for the first time, you have gone public to tell members to attend games and ‘cheer louder’. And just this week you have compared, unfavourably, members and supporters of Melbourne to the members and supporters of Collingwood in attendance. And have further accused us of not being sufficiently noisy during games. They are a much bigger club, with more than 35 thousand more supporters than Melbourne. Our overall attendance is excellent in terms of the number of members. And all of them are paying a fair bit of money to the club.

I don’t know whether you watched Collingwood play last year. It was genuinely exciting, attacking, fast-flowing football and, if I were a Collingwood fan, I have no doubt I would have cheered louder than anyone. The reason I find it difficult to engage with Melbourne games these days is because we have spent the last two years playing a depressing and frustrating style of football. I do know that we have made top four in the home and away season two years running, but this isn’t why I watch football. It is supposed to be entertaining and I’m not entertained. I don’t really want to cheer watching the midfield kick the ball into orbit to arrive in a horribly congested forward line with nobody leading, and then repeatedly fail to convert. I’m not blaming the players – all teams struggle with form from time to time. But I was incredibly disappointed that you claim that noisy crowds make a difference to the players. It seems that you are blaming us for the team’s failure to win a final in two years. Because we aren’t loud enough.

This isn’t about wins and losses. I would rather watch entertaining football and genuine growth in the way we play, even if we lose. And I don’t want to be told to cheer when I’m not seeing anything I enjoy.

I did enjoy the 2021 Grand Final and imagine that there was a fair bit of noise from the crowd. You would know better than me. You got to go. I, like many supporters, had to watch alone in my house on the couch with the cat. And now you want to tell me that I don’t attend enough games or cheer enough. I watched our opening game for the season. I gave it my best but kicking 2.8 in a half of football didn’t inspire me to ‘make a noise’. I don’t know if you notice the failings of our coach and players – you certainly seem to notice mine. You ask me to spend more and more money and then repeatedly tell me I’m not doing enough.

If there was a time for you to make a noise, it was when the club was facing a barrage of criticism for its ‘culture’ over the off-season. I saw Max Gawn facing the media on numerous occasions. I didn’t see you.

I am a paid-up member, but I don’t know how much longer I will be when the key decision makers of the club are so tone-deaf to the feelings of their members. And I have no confidence that you or anyone else will pay any attention to this feedback, but I wanted you to understand that I am hurt and disappointed by your comments.

Other than this, I do hope that your presidency of the club is a success and that I can learn to enjoy the Demons again.

Yours sincerely

Superbly said PG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on what? All the flags he's won? Collingwood going from 17th to winning a flag not long after he got sacked? The fantastic culture they had in his time? Big no to Bucks as senior coach.
i didn't say as a senior coach, for most of his run the pies made finals and were a good side, he would be a great assistant never had the right list at the pies at the dees he could

i didn't say as a senior coach, for most of his run the pies made finals and were a good side, he would be a great assistant never had the right list at the pies at the dees he could
Was also a kick missing from the pocket away from being a premiership coach. His message got stale in the end but he's clearly a good coach and he has the follow him aura.

Was also a kick missing from the pocket away from being a premiership coach. His message got stale in the end but he's clearly a good coach and he has the follow him aura.
he was a great coach and player and the stuff he's saying on coach (the show) makes it clear he has the knowledge and deserves a job as a coach head coach or any coaching role he would help this side and get us back on track

he was a great coach and player and the stuff he's saying on coach (the show) makes it clear he has the knowledge and deserves a job as a coach head coach or any coaching role he would help this side and get us back on track
Goodwin coached a bottom side before a flag, Hardwick took Richmond to 17th before the flag, Clarkson missed finals after the flag and bounced back up
Writing off Buckley because his side had a bad year is naive.

Fair enough. Don't think he's needed with Choco, Chaplin and McQualter there, but would love a proven successful forward line coach. Not sure who's a good option there? Laidler? McVeigh? Dew?

Dear Kate

Yours sincerely

This is brilliant PG. Don’t think anyone could have said it better.

Fair enough. Don't think he's needed with Choco, Chaplin and McQualter there, but would love a proven successful forward line coach. Not sure who's a good option there? Laidler? McVeigh? Dew?
fair point but surely we have the room to give him a role of some sort
1710381119459.png
Heres our next fwd coach

I cheer from home, I'm always passionate when they play but going to games is a struggle for me being young and needing to work but not living in Melbourne and interstate but not living in adalaide either I live near the SA border, between both cities, I have not been to a game since covid, but I'm working on that, its hard but I'm keen to go to one or two games this season, just depends on work and life atm

I wouldn't say 'great coach'. He made finals in half of the seasons he coached. Lost more finals than he won. When they missed finals they were 11th, 12th, 12th, 13th and 17th. Coaching win rate of 53.7%, and 41.7% in finals.

For reference, Goodwin has made finals 4 out of 7 seasons. Has a breakeven finals record and a flag. In the seasons he missed finals we finished 17th once, and then 9th the other two times. Coaching win rate of 57.8%, and 50% in finals.

Lots of nuffs here scream daily about sacking Goodwin and how he's a rubbish coach, yet they're also now defending Buckley as a senior coach. It doesn't stack up.

did I say that, Probaley goodie is good and but there comes a time when both parties need to move on but I want him to stay until the end of his deal and then we will go from there if we win another one or are doing fine lock him in, despite success sometimes change is nessacery or even a rebuild (we don't need to do that)

did I say that, Probaley goodie is good and but there comes a time when both parties need to move on but I want him to stay until the end of his deal and then we will go from there if we win another one or are doing fine lock him in, despite success sometimes change is nessacery or even a rebuild (we don't need to do that)
If goody coached us to 12th this year but we played an attacking style like Adelaide last year for instance and just weren't quite nailing it id happily keep him on. If he coaches us to to 5th and we play the same boring as **** footy yeah he should get sacked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part IV – Roffey Gone, Brad Green New President, Steven Smith Says No, "External" (Not Really) Review Coming 🔍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back