George Bailey

Remove this Banner Ad

Yer super knock for his first time in Aussie colours.:thumbsu: One massive 6 off Rimmington in the last over too! Hopefully rewarded with a ODI cap this Summer.

Premature evaluation?

would think so.

Good players stand up when needed, Andrew Symonds when his career was on the line V Pakistan, Steve Waugh when Australia needed saving in the '99 World Cup, any more examples?

He has not lived up to the great expectations that many in Australian Cricket circles have penciled him to achieve.

One decent innings (if you can call 30 off 16 balls in a hit and giggle T20 match is called). So what, David Warner did that and he has struggled ever since.

Stats back this up over a long period of time in cricketing circles.

First Class
Matches: 52
Inns: 96
Not Outs: 9
Runs: 3345
HS: 155
Ave: 38.44
Balls Faced: 6050
Strike Rate: 55.28
100's: 8
50's: 17

Not bad, but for a player they rated highly since his junior days he has not really delivered.

Now I am not knocking the guy because I frankly enjoy watching his exuisite timing of the ball and his temperament, but he just seems to only bat well when the Tigers are going well.

I just feel that he should be doing more, the sad thing is though, he has probably missed the boat for a spot in the Australian side with the likes of Callum Ferguson, Cameron White and young NSW tyro Usman Khawaja linked to national call up dutires, so the future for Bailey in national colors is starting to look bleak for Bailey. Be good to see him do well, but as mentioned I think he has missed the boat.

Sad, but true.

would think so.

Good players stand up when needed, Andrew Symonds when his career was on the line V Pakistan, Steve Waugh when Australia needed saving in the '99 World Cup, any more examples?

He has not lived up to the great expectations that many in Australian Cricket circles have penciled him to achieve.

One decent innings (if you can call 30 off 16 balls in a hit and giggle T20 match is called). So what, David Warner did that and he has struggled ever since.

Stats back this up over a long period of time in cricketing circles.

First Class
Matches: 52
Inns: 96
Not Outs: 9
Runs: 3345
HS: 155
Ave: 38.44
Balls Faced: 6050
Strike Rate: 55.28
100's: 8
50's: 17

Not bad, but for a player they rated highly since his junior days he has not really delivered.

Now I am not knocking the guy because I frankly enjoy watching his exuisite timing of the ball and his temperament, but he just seems to only bat well when the Tigers are going well.

I just feel that he should be doing more, the sad thing is though, he has probably missed the boat for a spot in the Australian side with the likes of Callum Ferguson, Cameron White and young NSW tyro Usman Khawaja linked to national call up dutires, so the future for Bailey in national colors is starting to look bleak for Bailey. Be good to see him do well, but as mentioned I think he has missed the boat.

Sad, but true.

So you base this on statitics rather than achievements?

Warne average ~35 in Sheild cricket, surely he is hopeless!

His early career was patchy and hence his poor stats but with last year has been outstanding,though as always others have perfromed better i.e.Brad Hodge and Chris Rodgers.

Anyway your point on missing the boat, what are you on? crack?

I would say if any player is overrated it is White. Bowls medium pace with a leg spin action. Yeah his batting of late has been good, but prior to that he had done very little, the occasional slog but little of substance.

Furthermore Steve Waugh was captain and had performed at a high level for a long time prior to the 99 WC innings!

Symonds was on the scrap heap if he did nothing in SA 03, he had had more than enough chances.

Maybe the Tigers go well when he stands up? Our batting is fairly poor. So if you are going to judge on stats atleast look at his current form.

Surely you are still calling the flour burnt even before its been mixed to a cake and put in the oven.

Another good knock from Bailey yesterday, and he gave a good showcase of his talents in the televised 20/20 game on ch9 last Sunday as well. He is certainly having another very good season so far.

One of the things that was interesting about that game on 9 was Warne's horrid lack of knowledge of Bailey's abilities. When he was conversing with the commentators while setting the field in the last over, he said there was no point putting mid on back because Bailey was a nudger and deflector rather than a clean straight hitter. I mean wtf?

Is this some sort of thing that's endemic to Victorians that they're so clueless about Bailey?

Anyway, it was great to see the next ball to go over long on and up into the second tier of the stands at the Gabba (which is a huge hit by anyone's standards) just to prove how fundamentally lacking in knowledge Warne was about him. :thumbsu:

Bob Quiney's career is about on par with George Bailey's.

So I see that, since you made the comments above, Quiney has been dumped from the Victorian team. While Bailey continues to be Tasmania's best batsman.

Yet, for some reason, you haven't had the nuts to come back on to this thread and talk about this. Instead, you're slinking off to other threads:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=652802&page=3

to pretend you're a big rap for Bailey.

You're quite the troll, and it's about time you fessed up to it. :thumbsdown:

Quality Post. :thumbsu:

Bailey is certainly no nudger, I saw him get a 100 in a 20/20 grade game in about 13 overs!! Sure it was only a grade game but that is no mean fette when the other team had bowlers who were playing for the Tigers.

Yeah ... such a comment is really hard to understand, isn't it?

There are actually very few players in Australia period who are as clean at striking the ball to all parts of the ground as he is.

I can handle Warne trying to ham it up for the TV audience but the sad part is that he was actually being serious. On the basis of what he said throughout that over (as Bailey made an utter joke of his field placings), I suspect he has barely ever seen him bat before let alone taken much notice of him.

In which case, he should have just said something like "to tell you the truth, I don't know a lot about him but I suspect/hope he's stronger at hitting the ball behind the wicket than forward of it". It would still have been highly disrespectful of Bailey's talent but at least it would probably have been more accurate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

74 off 89, clearly the match winner.

He has a lot of ability and I disagree with the OP.

No one Ese got above mid 30s today.

On a flat deck that would have been a ton and was well worth one.

In one day cricket stats can lie on your position and your role.

he's been in top one day form this year and the knock changed tempo on the needs of ther team, early all smooth a bonus point may have been in the equation so he was going hard.

the wickets fell so he changed tempo and played a real captains knock.

To form since the OP bagged him out.

He has never produced big runs when required, and goes missing when everyon else fails. Never scored an ODD centruy, yet is appointed captain. What is going on in the state of Tasmania.

Just want to know what people think of him? Over rated? Under rated?

Just where is the OP after yesterday btw.

Produced a big score a difficult pitch when Tasmania needed a guiding innings to lead them to victory and was there when everyone else failed.

Time to show your face HHF_07

I had a friend who went to the NTCA Ground yesterday (and whose opinions I rate highly) who said it was truly among the great one-day innings he has ever seen.

Bailey had them on track for the bonus point with some imperious hitting early on before completely changing the tempo of his knock as circumstances demanded it. And yet did so with ease.

He has to be the most in-form player at domestic level atm.

Just where is the OP after yesterday btw.

Produced a big score a difficult pitch when Tasmania needed a guiding innings to lead them to victory and was there when everyone else failed.

Time to show your face HHF_07

Quite right.

And don't spare the troller extraordinaire, Exhale You, either. He's still showing his face regularly on the cricket domesticity board but hasn't had the intestinal fortitude to come back to this thread.

He is from Cressy or Longford or somewhere isn't he? I agree that is was a bit of a strange comment but technically you wouldn't call either Launceston.

I'm not completely sure where he is from, he went to Launceston Grammar, and played footy and cricket at South Launceston. All of those are in Launceston. No real need to argue about it though, he is from Tassie and is dominating all forms of cricket this year, so lets get behind him!!!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile Bob Quiney was dropped from the Vic squad for the monster mash and Bailey is making yet more runs to add to his growing tally for the season.

If he can get his Fc average above 38 and his One Day average above 30 he may be a chance however until he does, it is a true indication of the lack of depth in the Australian first class scene. There are not many batsmen under 30 who are knocking the door down with runs at the moment. Youngsters such as Mitch Marsh, Steve Smith and Usman Khawaja must be licking their lips at the opportunities they will get.

George averages 38.73 in FC cricket and 30.92 in List A.

However, I don't think you can pay too much attention to his career averages given his improvement over the past couple of years. I think he is now at a place where he is at one with the bat.

09/10 FC 59.00 List A 68.40
08/09 FC 37.38* List A 32.22
07/08 FC 43.17 List A 27.90

* He struggled for the start of last season, mainly due to the dicey pitches Tassie played on (all our batsman struggled), but finished off with back-to-back tons at the end of 08/09

Remove this Banner Ad

George Bailey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back