Past George Hewett - free agent to Carlton, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

zQRnVjAT.jpg

George Hewett

George Hewett is regularly praised in the media by his teammates and coach John Longmire for his steadfast reliability. Regardless of whether the 2013 draftee is tasked with winning the footy or blanketing a ball magnet, he has the full trust of the Sydney Swans camp. Dustin Martin, Patrick Cripps and Shaun Higgins are just some of the gun midfielders Hewett has shut down in his unheralded career as a Swan. The South Australian carved out a career-best season in 2019 en route to finishing second in the Bob Skilton Medal voting, joining star duo Dane Rampe and Luke Parker on the podium.

George Hewett
DOB: 29 December 1995
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #32, 2013 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Broughton-Mundoora (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Hi guys, sorry for the intrusion. It's surprising as an outsider to see Sydney let him go fairly easily. What's the knock on him? Or is it simply a salary cap issue?

Hi guys, sorry for the intrusion. It's surprising as an outsider to see Sydney let him go fairly easily. What's the knock on him? Or is it simply a salary cap issue?
There's a lot of disagreement. I would say 25% want to keep him (where I am), 25% think he's not that good, and 50% think he's replaceable.

We have quite a few inside mids that have a lot of spark coming through the midfield, and I think as a list management group, we think that our team has gone past what Hewett offers. This isn't to say that we are too good for Hewett, but that our desired list and gameplan is different from Hewett.

IMO, he'll be very easy to watch and will be a great 3rd mid for you guys. Will add some incredible defensive work (he had 13 tackles in our losing final).

I think it's salary cap as others have said, a saleable player. We have similar types, and at $450k I think the club questions the value for money.

But make no mistake, George Hewett is an accomplished and reliable type, with the required skills, although best as an inside midfield /lock down player. He leaves with our blessing.

With Sam Walsh complemented by G.Hewett and Matt Kennedy, it will be a solid midfield for the Blues in 2022.

You'll be getting a good player.
Not particularly quick of foot but very composed and accurate by hand and both feet. Terrific tackler.
He has mostly been used in defensive roles but is certainly more than that. IMO he will likely be your third best mid.
Personally I think the club's salary cap issues have forced us into a position of offering him less than he's worth and we've encouraged him to find a new home where he's better rewarded. Sounds a bit altruistic but that's at keast part of the Aliir story too.
He will leave the club with nothing but goodwill.

A few issues and I say these as someone who wishes we kept him:

1. Salary cap. We have some good young kids coming through, Franklin on 1 more year and back ended Heeney and Mills deals

2. His back. He had a back injury in 2020 and this might be worse than we know

3. He is too similar to Kennedy and Parker in the midfield mix. Even with Kennedy only having 1 more year in him, we are hoping the more dynamic mids of Rowbottom and Warner will replace both of them

I think you guys pissed in his ear last year but didn't want to do a reasonable & fair trade for a contracted player so now you get another player without having to pay anything.

There's a lot of disagreement. I would say 25% want to keep him (where I am), 25% think he's not that good, and 50% think he's replaceable.

We have quite a few inside mids that have a lot of spark coming through the midfield, and I think as a list management group, we think that our team has gone past what Hewett offers. This isn't to say that we are too good for Hewett, but that our desired list and gameplan is different from Hewett.

IMO, he'll be very easy to watch and will be a great 3rd mid for you guys. Will add some incredible defensive work (he had 13 tackles in our losing final).
Mark my words.
George Hewett will be not playing senior footy every game. He will play reserves at Carlton as they have too many mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wholehearted consistent player, who went about his job with a minimum of fuss.

Clearly we've moved him on, but no public word of complaint, just got on with it, typifying the player and the person.

There's been debate about his true worth to the team but I think we all offer George and his family all the best and I would certainly hope he'll be appropriately welcomed back on his return to the SCG.

As ive said before whoever allowed this to happen with our cap , should get the arse !Wouldn't worry so much if he went to Gold Coast , but not f ing Carlton
The only question I have is why were we playing him at half back when we were flying? We obviously wanted a quicker mix in the middle at times. Even Parker & JPK spent less time in there & we were torched with centre clearances on many occasions near the latter end of the year.
Not a knock on George but we have made a call based on our new higher scoring game plan which we all agree is what we were all crying out for a few years ago when calling for Horse's head after low scoring finals exits two years in succession.

The only question I have is why were we playing him at half back when we were flying? We obviously wanted a quicker mix in the middle at times. Even Parker & JPK spent less time in there & we were torched with centre clearances on many occasions near the latter end of the year.
Not a knock on George but we have made a call based on our new higher scoring game plan which we all agree is what we were all crying out for a few years ago when calling for Horse's head after low scoring finals exits two years in succession.
If a more attacking game plan means shipping off the best ball user in your midfield, I can't even.

If a more attacking game plan means shipping off the best ball user in your midfield, I can't even.
Well people who are getting paid & are in a more inside position with list management have made the call so let's all wait until the trade period is over so we can see what we may be up to or who else we were trying to keep.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past George Hewett - free agent to Carlton, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back