Past George Hewett - free agent to Carlton, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

zQRnVjAT.jpg

George Hewett

George Hewett is regularly praised in the media by his teammates and coach John Longmire for his steadfast reliability. Regardless of whether the 2013 draftee is tasked with winning the footy or blanketing a ball magnet, he has the full trust of the Sydney Swans camp. Dustin Martin, Patrick Cripps and Shaun Higgins are just some of the gun midfielders Hewett has shut down in his unheralded career as a Swan. The South Australian carved out a career-best season in 2019 en route to finishing second in the Bob Skilton Medal voting, joining star duo Dane Rampe and Luke Parker on the podium.

George Hewett
DOB: 29 December 1995
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #32, 2013 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Broughton-Mundoora (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

What shits me is that a bloke that was the heart and soul goes and we still have a battler like James Bell on the list

Mark my words.
George Hewett will be not playing senior footy every game. He will play reserves at Carlton as they have too many mids.

Dow, Kennedy and Setters haven't come on as hoped. All three have shown bits at times, but then gone missing. SPS has had his dramas as well.

It's largely been Cripps, Walsh and then daylight this year in the midfield. Walsh is the only mid that runs both ways (Cripps is way too slow) and the other young mids just get run off all day long. It's why we're getting slaughtered on the counter attack.

Stocker is the one that came on this year, albeit off a HBF. Gaining a reputation as a bit of a hard nut.

Ed Curnow turns 32 in a few weeks, and next year is likely his last. Hewett is his likely replacement. They're similar types (defensive mids).

For mids/ followers/ rovers you probably want a total of 4 at any one contest plus 2 on the bench for rotations.

Hopefully next year, we'll be looking at Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett and the best 2 out of what we already have (Dow, Kennedy, Setters, Stocker) for rotations, with the first three names on that list literally playing for their careers.

Harley 2 days ago:
This is where a deep understanding of player movement is required; he’s a restricted free agent so the club has the right to match an offer.

We’re expecting a healthy offer from a rival club, we have a respectful right to look at that. When we consider it, we need to look at a whole host of things.

We’ll play that one out in the fullness of time as well.
Clearly not too much fullness of time was required. Not sure exactly who that weak bluff was aimed at.

There was no bluff.

Clearly we were never going to match, it was merely Harley being publicly respectful of George.

Spot on. If it was known the Swans were not going to match, that would possibly affect our offer to Hewett (we could offer less, or a shorter contract).

He was just doing the right thing by the player.

Dow, Kennedy and Setters haven't come on as hoped. All three have shown bits at times, but then gone missing. SPS has had his dramas as well.

It's largely been Cripps, Walsh and then daylight this year in the midfield. Walsh is the only mid that runs both ways (Cripps is way too slow) and the other young mids just get run off all day long. It's why we're getting slaughtered on the counter attack.

Stocker is the one that came on this year, albeit off a HBF. Gaining a reputation as a bit of a hard nut.

Ed Curnow turns 32 in a few weeks, and next year is likely his last. Hewett is his likely replacement. They're similar types (defensive mids).

For mids/ followers/ rovers you probably want a total of 4 at any one contest plus 2 on the bench for rotations.

Hopefully next year, we'll be looking at Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett and the best 2 out of what we already have (Dow, Kennedy, Setters, Stocker) for rotations, with the first three names on that list literally playing for their careers.
Can't fault your thinking.
Hewett is a great pickup for you. Covers many of the bases you describe as missing. Very skilful, perhaps more than you yet realise. Mills coming on so well was it for George, leaving him in an awkward middling position on the list so that his value to you will be higher than his value to us, if that makes sense.
Cerra won't give you a lot on the inside but that's not what you want him for.
Two good pickups IMO to actually strengthen your list and at 22? and 25 a lot of footy in them.

Can't fault your thinking.
Hewett is a great pickup for you. Covers many of the bases you describe as missing. Very skilful, perhaps more than you yet realise. Mills coming on so well was it for George, leaving him in an awkward middling position on the list so that his value to you will be higher than his value to us, if that makes sense.
Cerra won't give you a lot on the inside but that's not what you want him for.
Two good pickups IMO to actually strengthen your list and at 22? and 25 a lot of footy in them.

Based in Perth so I dont see many Swans games (let alone any non Freo/ Eagles games) and he's the kind of player that flies under the radar, so popped over here for a feel on how you guys rate him.

Im seeing him as an Ed Curnow replacement mainly; a solid defensive mid who doesnt rack up as many touches as Ed, but uses the ball a lot better (which isnt hard; Curnow is your quintessential wet weather player).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based in Perth so I dont see many Swans games (let alone any non Freo/ Eagles games) and he's the kind of player that flies under the radar, so popped over here for a feel on how you guys rate him.

Im seeing him as an Ed Curnow replacement mainly; a solid defensive mid who doesnt rack up as many touches as Ed, but uses the ball a lot better (which isnt hard; Curnow is your quintessential wet weather player).
Significantly more skilful than Ed. Not a criticism as Ed is a heart and soul player. If Voss uses Hewett well I can see him hitting McKay lace out all day long. We didn't use him that way. He has a little bit of that time and space thing where everything slows down a fraction around him. Have a look at his game in the elim final. He was close to our best with Mills and JPK out.

George uses the ball very well, and his kicking is effective. Two way runner *koff* who might show some of your lads how its done:tongueoutv1: Works without fuss and just gets the job done. Your forwards are going to love him.

From what I have seen of Carlton, Hewett will be yoyr 3rd best mid, imo

He will play any role you ask him of with aplomb. Consummate professional. Will be sorely missed. In my top 5 favourite players.
I have never ever seen or heard anyone say "Hewett had a bad game", "Hewett cost us that game", "Hewett stuffed that kick", ever. Legend under the radar leaves us.

Can't be helped , but i'll turn the volume down , thanks for the advice , always welcome
No worries. I have friends that support other clubs. As we all do. If they come here and behave respectfully, then their input, I imagine is most welcome. Lets respect them.

No worries. I have friends that support other clubs. As we all do. If they come here and behave respectfully, then their input, I imagine is most welcome. Lets respect them.
Lol it is Carlton though , the mob that tried to take us over . I would never say anything bad about George , on of my favs in our time in Sydney , but that's just me .

Remove this Banner Ad

Past George Hewett - free agent to Carlton, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back