Past George Hewett - free agent to Carlton, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

zQRnVjAT.jpg

George Hewett

George Hewett is regularly praised in the media by his teammates and coach John Longmire for his steadfast reliability. Regardless of whether the 2013 draftee is tasked with winning the footy or blanketing a ball magnet, he has the full trust of the Sydney Swans camp. Dustin Martin, Patrick Cripps and Shaun Higgins are just some of the gun midfielders Hewett has shut down in his unheralded career as a Swan. The South Australian carved out a career-best season in 2019 en route to finishing second in the Bob Skilton Medal voting, joining star duo Dane Rampe and Luke Parker on the podium.

George Hewett
DOB: 29 December 1995
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #32, 2013 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Broughton-Mundoora (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

this was my reply to King.
Well if they stayed that's what we would have had to pay them so money that can go elsewhere to take the pressure off other contracts.
Maybe I worded it badly.
I would wager that money has already gone elsewhere; in the re-signings of Parker, Blakey, Rowbottom, Warner, Stephens, McLean.

My guess of our remaining salary space is much closer to $0 than $1m.

I would wager that money has already gone elsewhere; in the re-signings of Parker, Blakey, Rowbottom, Warner, Stephens, McLean.

My guess of our remaining salary space is much closer to $0 than $1m.
Yeah that's what I wad trying to portray in the earlier post.
In others the extra million saved was needed to relieve pressure & perhaps refresh the list.
I wasn't suggesting we suddenly had an extra million to spend on a Dusty.

Key stats in last game as a Swan: 19 disposals (73% effective), 3 score involvements, 13 tackles (next highest on ground was Hopper with 9).
And we don't want to pay the 25 year old defensive midfielder $450k per year?
Words fail me.

Think of it this way. Hewett doesnt play wing, he is a centre circle attendee. He doesnt play forward or back well enough to justify his spot on playing in those areas.

Here are our mids who go through centre circle:
Parker
Mills
Kennedy
Hewett
Warner
Rowbottom

Less frequently:
Florent
Papley
Heeney
Gulden

We have already signed up Parker and Mills is locked in to playing mid. If we believe that Warner and Rowbottom are the players we think they are then they will be replacing Hewett sooner or later anyway.

In that case, securing Hewett for 4 years to be good midfield depth with a constrained cap and a whole lot of big unsigned names next year would be a very bad call imo.

Think of it this way. Hewett doesnt play wing, he is a centre circle attendee. He doesnt play forward or back well enough to justify his spot on playing in those areas.

Here are our mids who go through centre circle:
Parker
Mills
Kennedy
Hewett
Warner
Rowbottom

Less frequently:
Florent
Papley
Heeney
Gulden

We have already signed up Parker and Mills is locked in to playing mid. If we believe that Warner and Rowbottom are the players we think they are then they will be replacing Hewett sooner or later anyway.

In that case, securing Hewett for 4 years to be good midfield depth with a constrained cap and a whole lot of big unsigned names next year would be a very bad call imo.
Bang.

Add Stephens to that, who they rated highly enough to take above Serong, and McInerney who they have rotated through there for more explosiveness coming out of the midfield, and the opportunities for Hewett really dry up over the next few years. Especially given he wasn't even playing in the midfield when we had all our midfielders available for selection.

He's gone. I just want to know the compo so that we can all move on to bitching about the AFL's compo system
If we were Essendon we'd get first round picks for anyone that walked, safe in the knowledge that with no access to drugs most of their ex-players soon return to being ordinary.

Per this article: George Hewett's move from Sydney to Carlton on a contract estimated at an average of $400,000-500,000 per season could see the Swans net an end-of-second-round or third-round selection.

I mean I know its literally an unknown- but i would have thought a Band 3 (after our second) was more likely than band 4 (end of second) and surely more than band 5 (third round).

I know it wont be a band 2, but seems like once again VIC media bias!!!

Per this article: George Hewett's move from Sydney to Carlton on a contract estimated at an average of $400,000-500,000 per season could see the Swans net an end-of-second-round or third-round selection.

I mean I know its literally an unknown- but i would have thought a Band 3 (after our second) was more likely than band 4 (end of second) and surely more than band 5 (third round).

I know it wont be a band 2, but seems like once again VIC media bias!!!
Reports of Cerra and Hewett Carlton bound. How many mids can they fit in there. Its not like they are short of mids. Makes me doubt one or the other won't arrive there.

Perhaps this was Punts big news that he has still not announced..lol
Heard it here first. Cripps taking a pay cut for the good of the team. 200k a year. Oh and as a side note, he came across a house in Bondi owned by the GM of QBE that he managed to pick up at the bargain price of 300k, and his partner has just announced she has landed a 1mill a year position as social media manager at VW. Oh and their house renovations will be completed as a puff piece by realestate.com. So strange how these things happen #geelongcapcheats

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reports of Cerra and Hewett Carlton bound. How many mids can they fit in there. Its not like they are short of mids. Makes me doubt one or the other won't arrive there.
They are short of decent mids though as its a quantity over quality type on Carlton's list. Hewett walks into their starting 22.

Interesting in The Age today.

Blues great questions Hewett hunt
Jon Pierik
Former Carlton list manager Steven Silvagni has questioned whether the Blues need to sign Sydney’s George Hewett but has backed their bid to land Fremantle’s Adam Cerra through the trade period.
Hewett, a hard-running, big bodied defensive midfielder, is a restricted free agent but is likely to sign with the Blues on a four-year deal worth up to $1.8 million. However, Silvagni has declared a player of his type could be developed internally by the Blues.
‘‘It’s an interesting one. I think he is a really good player, but is he the type of player Carlton need? I think they have got players on the list that could do his role, develop into that role, but, obviously, they are looking for someone who can play off halfback, also in atagging role,’’ Silvagni said at the launch of Trade Radio yesterday.
Hewett’s inclusion could mean veteran Ed Curnow, who has signed a one-year contract extension, will be tipped from the side. Will Setterfield and Matthew Kennedy, the latter off contract, can also play as defensive midfielders. Hewett has played 120 matches for the Swans, including 21 this year.
‘‘I just feel he [Hewett] is agood player, don’t get me wrong, and may be in their best 22, 23, but I think he is the type of player you can develop on your list. But he brings a sense of hardness and some run for them. The question is, what happens with Ed Curnow now? Where do they play him?’’ Silvagni said.
‘‘It’s pretty much that inside tagging role, probably struggles at halfforward when he is there, so it’s going to be an interesting mix.’'

Interesting in The Age today.

Blues great questions Hewett hunt
Jon Pierik
Former Carlton list manager Steven Silvagni has questioned whether the Blues need to sign Sydney’s George Hewett but has backed their bid to land Fremantle’s Adam Cerra through the trade period.
Hewett, a hard-running, big bodied defensive midfielder, is a restricted free agent but is likely to sign with the Blues on a four-year deal worth up to $1.8 million. However, Silvagni has declared a player of his type could be developed internally by the Blues.
‘‘It’s an interesting one. I think he is a really good player, but is he the type of player Carlton need? I think they have got players on the list that could do his role, develop into that role, but, obviously, they are looking for someone who can play off halfback, also in atagging role,’’ Silvagni said at the launch of Trade Radio yesterday.
Hewett’s inclusion could mean veteran Ed Curnow, who has signed a one-year contract extension, will be tipped from the side. Will Setterfield and Matthew Kennedy, the latter off contract, can also play as defensive midfielders. Hewett has played 120 matches for the Swans, including 21 this year.
‘‘I just feel he [Hewett] is agood player, don’t get me wrong, and may be in their best 22, 23, but I think he is the type of player you can develop on your list. But he brings a sense of hardness and some run for them. The question is, what happens with Ed Curnow now? Where do they play him?’’ Silvagni said.
‘‘It’s pretty much that inside tagging role, probably struggles at halfforward when he is there, so it’s going to be an interesting mix.’'

SOS still defending the duds he recruited.

The Giants B listers did not work out and spud up their list. Plowman makes Melican look competent. The Marchy kid makes Reid look a robust 150 games in a row player.

LOB, Dow, Stocker, SPS are complete spuds with heads like 'boarding house puddings'.

Probably the worst recruits were his sons.

They are short of decent mids though as its a quantity over quality type on Carlton's list. Hewett walks into their starting 22.

Spot on. George will be their 2nd best mid after Walsh. None of the others are interested in running both ways.

Voss must put the cleaners through the joint.

SOS still defending the duds he recruited.

The Giants B listers did not work out and spud up their list. Plowman makes Melican look competent. The Marchy kid makes Reid look a robust 150 games in a row player.

LOB, Dow, Stocker, SPS are complete spuds with heads like 'boarding house puddings'.

Probably the worst recruits were his sons.
Carlton recruiters looked to have failed big time.. but the coaches failing to develop any of these kids have also ****ed up

The compo pick has been compared with Crouch on $600k and crows only getting a 2nd rounder.
The AFL has the ability (at the end of applying their secret formula) to adjust what the pick will be. The crows and Crouch didn't deserve p3 as compo.
Hewett and the Swans probably do deserve a 2nd rounder (band 3) and the AFL can do that.

Im hoping the fact that shorter contracts and less money is the norm compared with pre-covid days, is taken into account.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past George Hewett - free agent to Carlton, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back