Get BUCKLEY Update: Dim the lights, Caro is talking dirty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
From The Age:

ANY DOUBT that the intriguing AFL coaching landscape does not revolve around the pending decision of one man has been removed now that Nathan Buckley has made himself available for job interviews, his junior state coaching commitments complete.

Our understanding is that there are four main suitors for the retired champion. North Melbourne has all but categorically declared him the Kangaroos' most wanted man. Richmond is planning to interview him. And Collingwood seems determined to retain its longest-serving captain.

The smokey has emerged in Hawthorn which appears determined to pursue its democratic coaching path which sees Alastair Clarkson in charge but boasting a number of well-rewarded and highly regarded assistants and football lieutenants.

If the Hawks have not already offered Buckley an assistant's role then they have so unofficially in the belief that Damien Hardwick is almost certain to be lost to them by the start of the 2010 pre-season.

Where Hardwick goes of course largely depends on Buckley. Collingwood might be holding out in achieving a new deal for Mick Malthouse but surely the club knows enough about its long-serving mentor by now to judge whether he is capable of taking the club forward. Perhaps it is congratulating itself upon the waiting game because Malthouse has rarely coached more effectively and that is saying something.

But the cracks are emerging. All year Malthouse has said he is happy to wait until the club comes to him but this is simply not true. AFL coaches are a paranoid lot and Malthouse as much as any. Having been unofficially guaranteed a contract extension early in the year by his president, Malthouse must know that the spectre of Buckley has stalled those negotiations along with a board and administration more determined to oversee checks and balances upon the president than in the past.

Malthouse believes he has the backing of the president but not necessarily the CEO Gary Pert whom Malthouse sees as closely aligned to Craig Kelly, who in turn guides the fortunes of Buckley.

The coach believes he will receive a contract offer in the end but he is angry at the way in which he has been treated and that anger has been revealed in gradual fits and spurts all season — first back in April when he told the ABC he would coach elsewhere next year if not at Collingwood, secondly after an interview granted by Eddie McGuire who cited alternatives such as Mark Williams and again last Friday when he told Triple M his family was not enjoying the delayed proceedings.

So assuming that Collingwood will offer Malthouse a new deal it is difficult to imagine him working in tandem with Buckley as an assistant. Not one Collingwood person contacted by The Age yesterday disagreed. Surely such a combination would be fraught with insecurity and prove both divisive and combustible. Either way an official offer has not come Buckley's way from Collingwood — yet.

So should Collingwood's season continue along its winning way then Buckley must first choose whether to spend a year as an assistant at Hawthorn — in either a full-time or part-time capacity — or take the North Melbourne job which appears to be his.

He may be interviewed by Richmond but he is no certainty to get the job and even less likely to want it. Our understanding is that North for Buckley is a far more attractive proposition.

Tigerland and its dreadful recent history has devoured more experienced campaigners than Buckley over the journey and the message from his camp all season has been that Richmond and all of its cultural problems are not attractive to him.

An assistant coaching position at a successful club such as Hawthorn could appeal more but all the evidence suggests that Buckley is ready to become a senior coach.

Everyone who has watched him work at his various roles this season say he is ready to be made senior coach.

Which leaves North Melbourne.

And what a coup for a club on the brink of relocation less than two years ago that would be.

The first bolded quote is something I heard a week ago from a good reliable source, that Buckley doesn't want Richmond, and knows he gets to be mayor of North Melbourne if he comes to us.

The second quote is bolded because it makes me hot in the pants.

Back in five, get Bucks!

When I saw the latter part of this article I nearly fell of the chair. Some priceless quotes here, given who wrote the article, even though there are bugger all facts in it, as usual.

FFS!
He may be interviewed by Richmond but he is no certainty to get the job and even less likely to want it. Our understanding is that North for Buckley is a far more attractive proposition.

i would have thought north is a far more attractive proposition to anyone

how many 30+ yr olds does the new richmond coach have to cull?

their list is not in great shape and it is incredible to think that they only drafted 2 kids last year while we were picking up the likes of ziebell, anthony, wright, o'keefe, benjamin

"So should Collingwood's season continue along its winning way then Buckley must first choose whether to spend a year as an assistant at Hawthorn — in either a full-time or part-time capacity — or take the North Melbourne job which appears to be his".

Buckley must FIRST choose whether to go to Hawthorn?

The Richmond job would be his if he wanted it, what a load of shit Caro.

Bucks was often compared to Voss and if anyone thinks he would be willing to take a lesser role they are kidding themselves. Its long passed that.

What is just as strange is that she wrote an article today(yesterday) with the major point that North were the logical choice for Buckley, but didn't even mention us on FC when they were talking about Buckley...

If Bucks did take an assistant job, the media speculation would only get bigger and bigger for 12 more months. Even Bucks is sick of the hype, it has to end for everyones sanity, hes just too big of a fish to let this linger. He will be at North next year.

What is just as strange is that she wrote an article today(yesterday) with the major point that North were the logical choice for Buckley, but didn't even mention us on FC when they were talking about Buckley...
Maybe she was still feeling sick after writing the article and couldn't bear it to suggest this again. Besides, IF it is accurate, then suggesting we're a shot would be tantamount to praise for NMFC. It was enough to indicate this at the bottom of the article, but to utter the words on TV? Too incriminating!

Actually, I'm more concerned we won't get Bucks now, based on the historical accuracy of her "understandings".

Maybe she's trying to lull us into a false sense of security?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is quotes in her articles like these that makes Caro a deceiving little ****:

So assuming that Collingwood will offer Malthouse a new deal it is difficult to imagine him working in tandem with Buckley as an assistant. Not one Collingwood person contacted by The Age yesterday disagreed.

So Caro, how many people exactly were contacted by the Age?

What exactly were they asked?

And what did these people say, word for word?

Although its hard to come up with this level of detail when everyone in the inner sanctum at Collingwood has been asked not to speak to the cow.

Journalism at its finest.

forget Caros comments...its Eddies that worry me.........I have this gut feeling that Collingwood are going to stiff us again!..........they went out hard after Malthouse and now they are playing the waiting game.........not good!!

Eddie's comments worry me too - he is no fool. But the $$$s I hear that Bucks is being offered by us will surely be hard to turn down. Will make him the highest paid coach in the AFL if the rumour is correct.
If you put yourself in Buckley's shoes its a hard choice to make. NMFC and big bucks. Colingwood for a lot less as assistant with some sort of ascendency plan. Richmond, nah! The Hawthorn assistant role is an interesting diversion but I can't see how that could be attractive compared to a senior role.
One thing caro says is so true - what a coup if we land the big fish. I suppose my only concern is that the deal still has to be commercially sensible. I hope the want to win the chase doesn't make us make a stupid offer.
I am as much a part of the get Buckley group as anyone is and reckon the risk is worth it. Come on Eugene - get the signature now!

I think I want Buckley as much for his footy nous as the statement it makes about us as a club.

But it won't be disastrous if we don't land him. There are lots of very good candidates out there.

I think I want Buckley as much for his footy nous as the statement it makes about us as a club.

But it won't be disastrous if we don't land him. There are lots of very good candidates out there.

Totally agree.

My only issue is if we get buckley there will be that constant talk that he will want to eventually coach Collingwood.

Having said that Sheedy never coached Richmond, Matthews never coached Hawthorn.

I would be very surprised if he took on an assistant role over a senior role.

The interesting question would be if Bucks was to agree to terms next week for argument's sake. What would we do? Announce it straight away, leave Crocker to coach the season out with the knowledge that's all he's doing, and Bucks be known as our coach, yet continue to work in the media? I am not sure I've seen such a scenario anywhere else...

The interesting question would be if Bucks was to agree to terms next week for argument's sake. What would we do? Announce it straight away, leave Crocker to coach the season out with the knowledge that's all he's doing, and Bucks be known as our coach, yet continue to work in the media? I am not sure I've seen such a scenario anywhere else...

I've thought that all along. I wouldn't expect a coach to be announced before round 22.

It is an interesting question. I suppose there is no likelihood we could keep this announcement from the press so how they handle any announcement will be interesting.
I feel a bit sorry for Crocks at the moment. He seems to be doing a good job and is very popular with players and staff. He must know that we are throwing everything at Bucks so what can he do to impress the selection folk.

But the $$$s I hear that Bucks is being offered by us will surely be hard to turn down. Will make him the highest paid coach in the AFL if the rumour is correct.

Bullshit.

It is quotes in her articles like these that makes Caro a deceiving little ****:

So assuming that Collingwood will offer Malthouse a new deal it is difficult to imagine him working in tandem with Buckley as an assistant. Not one Collingwood person contacted by The Age yesterday disagreed.

So Caro, how many people exactly were contacted by the Age?

What exactly were they asked?

And what did these people say, word for word?

Although its hard to come up with this level of detail when everyone in the inner sanctum at Collingwood has been asked not to speak to the cow.

Journalism at its finest.

LOL, she probably ran into Joffa, then gave Brian Taylor a call. Not one Collingwood person contacted by The Age yesterday disagreed. :rolleyes:

(As it happens, I agree with her point ; but it's the usual speculation dressed up as inside information).

By the way, it's a remarkable (unacknowledged) backflip from the Vile Serpent, isn't it?

"Not a hope in hell" 2 weeks ago..........maybe that's because she 'knew' we couldn't afford Buckley with Mazda jumping ship. :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Get BUCKLEY Update: Dim the lights, Caro is talking dirty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back