Getting a good night's sleep

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe something is troubling you? Maybe meditate?

But I'm the same. I've had nightmares pretty consistently over the last few weeks.

Just had a dream where I was in a large house and I went into a room to find someone and they weren't there. Went back to the previous room and the person who was there was gone. Realised everyone had suddenly disappeared and the house suddenly (or realised) it was a haunted house.

So I have to get out through all these rooms and hallways and I get to this particular room which really scared me as it was pitch black.

At this point I realised I was in a dream so I told myself... Okay don't be scared this is just a dream. If it gets bad I can just wake up.

Walk in and immediately the floor and walls start turning into molten lava and the room is on fire. And then I woke up.
I am anxious at the moment so maybe that's what it is. I'll try some meditation over the weekend and see how I go.

I sleep 7.5-8 hours a night, only waking at most once per night (depending how much water consumed pre-bed) because of the need to go to the toilet. Usually takes me 5-10 minutes to get to sleep. I'm still tired though unless I get 8 hours plus every night. Exercising definitely helps but make sure you finish exercising about 2 hours or more before bed. Don't eat carbs after exercising either.

I couldn't sleep last night

Downloaded a Chess app and began reading an introductory guide to playing Chess.

I managed to beat the level 3 computer last night :thumbsu:

Chess is great.

My dad taught me to play when I was four.
Yeah I've always wanted to get into it but just seems daunting to start as you got no clue what you're doing.

A few times a year I have all day meetings followed by dinner with clients. Did it yesterday and today and it messes me up. You have your business face on for 14 hours or so and then you have to try sleep. I always find my mind racing. Got 4 hours sleep last night before going to a hotel and doing a presentation in the morning.

I'm not sure how to avoid that. On a regular work day I like to try wind down the last hour or so so that I can go home and not think about it.

So I've been reading about this segmented sleep stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmented_sleep

It's something I do from time to time. Get up some time in the middle of the night, take a piss, jump on the computer, have a drink, go back to bed. You think oh this is weird being wide awake and then you're tired again very soon and you go back to bed and sleep very well for another 4-5 hours or so.

Perhaps there is something to it? Perhaps it is natural and sleeping a straight 8 hours isn't the best way to go.

Anybody do this?

I wake up in the middle of the night to piss maybe a third of the time, but I always just fall back asleep as soon as I lie back down.

The only time I wake up in the middle of the night, wide awake, and can't fall back to sleep is when I sleep before 10pm. I'll sleep for 2-3 hours then won't fall asleep until 5am.

The frustrating thing is that I have to avoid sleeping before 10pm, but my body has this innate tendency to completely wake up, usually no matter how tired I was, at 10-12.

So I've been reading about this segmented sleep stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmented_sleep

It's something I do from time to time. Get up some time in the middle of the night, take a piss, jump on the computer, have a drink, go back to bed. You think oh this is weird being wide awake and then you're tired again very soon and you go back to bed and sleep very well for another 4-5 hours or so.

Perhaps there is something to it? Perhaps it is natural and sleeping a straight 8 hours isn't the best way to go.

Anybody do this?

interesting read here - I heard dr karl talk about this on jjj a while back.

http://slumberwise.com/science/your-ancestors-didnt-sleep-like-you/

Not to sound like a drug rep but I was prescribed these http://www.circadin.com/, bloody expensive and am yet to use. Have only ever had stilnox once and slept like a trooper but apparently this circadin is all natural and not addictive in the slightest.

Not sure if anyone else gets this but at the moment I'm like crazy busy, work, started a small business, big footy, uni and around 4pm I am cooked, like zombie. Get home around 6 ish, exhausted, struggle to do any work or uni but it gets to 9pm and boom, I'm wide awake again, Study/work until 1am, get to bed and takes ages to get t sleep then back up at 7am. RInse and repeat. Then a dog starts barking and I'm thinking, if I grab a kitchen knife I could kill that dog :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Avoiding stimulants after 4pm helps, taking melatonin half hour before bedtime helps even more.

yep

I can't drink coffee after 1pm these days and not expect it to effect my sleep

I can't sleep unless The Young Ones is playing in the background. I usually start with the episode 'Nasty' because it's my favourite.
Neil, the bathroom is free, unlike this country under the Thatcherite junta.
Brilliant stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting a good night's sleep

Remove this Banner Ad

Back