Business & Finance What is a 'good salary' in Australia in 2022?

What do you consider a good full-time salary (before super)?

• At least $25,000 a year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • At least $50,000 a year

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • At least $75,000 a year

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • At least $100,000 a year

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • At least $125,000 a year

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • At least $150,000 a year

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • At least $175,000 a year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • At least $200,000 a year

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • More

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah yes.. "according to the the cycle of life in the western world".. I couldn't have said it better myself!
I read it all.

I see things differently. I don't see how downsizing from a three bedroom house (the average) to a smaller two-bedroom unit (often in a more urban area) is helping much. In fact I would say grandparents and parents not having that stability and space to help out other family members whether that be baby-sitting so other family members can work, or a space where family members can stay in times of crisis (illness, a relationship breakdown etc) is doing way more for society than if they sold up.. and the idea that you need to wait until they die to free up a house is silly as they are still going to be taking up a floorplan and living somewhere.

I work in the housing and homelessness sector, and I see a primary issue causing homelessness being not having a family home to go back to when the shit hits the fan. I know this is not as simple as your parents having a spare room, but it sure helps. I think something lacking in the "cycle of life in the western world" is the break down of family relationships and the subsequent support and stability that they provide. Again, grandparents/parent having a spare room doesn't guarantee this, but it doesn't hinder it either.

I would argue that the actual affect of our grandparents staying in their home longer is a very very small part of the problem.. but it is a convenient one for policy makers and the like as it takes the focus off the bigger issues in the "cycle of life in the western world".

Just my opinion though, and I respect yours. I didn't mean for my short response earlier to seem like I was being dismissive - more that I had to get to work!

i was thinking the last few days about maybe getting a casual job a few nights a week, like stacking shelves somewhere local.
i have the time, just need there to be a job like 3 hours 2 nights a week

extra cash always good and seems to be jobs available everywhere (albeit maybee not what i am after)

If you want to do that try to find something that pays cash so you don't have to pay tax on it. Sports umpiring can be good for this.

Most supermarkets now ask for more commitment or flexibility than that. If you only want to work that often you'd be a casual, and you'd be expensive to work than part timers. A better second job at night for those needs might be hospitality.

Sports umpiring is the best option imo for extra money.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Air bnb is a ******* rort it allows property owners to collect like what could be a week's rent in a couple days...

I've been thinking of paying a padlock out somewhere and putting something on it .
Eg shipping container house.

Air bnb that sh1t ...

Plus a weekender .

Just getting some land with power at a cheap price ...not easy to find .

i was thinking the last few days about maybe getting a casual job a few nights a week, like stacking shelves somewhere local.
i have the time, just need there to be a job like 3 hours 2 nights a week

extra cash always good and seems to be jobs available everywhere (albeit maybee not what i am after)

That's casual hours .

If you want to do it all the time .

10 hours is the min contract...2 X 5 hours .

I'd suggest any salary capable of sustaining a single income middle class family with room for stuff like material goods and holidays is a good salary.

There was a change a little while back where alot of stores end at 11pm or mid night .
Less penalties rate aswell .

Yes, it's not as appealing now as it was a few years ago when you could do it when the store was closed and didn't have to deal with customers.

I do my shopping at a Woolworths around 8-9pm and trying to fill the shelves at the time doesn't look pleasant although it seems they are still allowed to listen to music.

Most supermarkets now ask for more commitment or flexibility than that. If you only want to work that often you'd be a casual, and you'd be expensive to work than part timers. A better second job at night for those needs might be hospitality.

Sports umpiring is the best option imo for extra money.

I reckon heaps of cricket associations would take anyone at the moment, Some even pay to do the top junior grades on a Saturday morning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im on low 6 figures as is my partner, with the kids (we come into relationship with our own), and mortgage being our biggest expenses. We are comfortable but still try and live cheap.

when we moved in together we furnished most of he house via FaceBook market place, buy in bulk when groceries are on special, buy and freeze the marked-down meat. I also do most of my clothes shopping at savers (got two pair of hugo boss jeans for$50 once) and kmart, and we both drove cars worth less than $10k.

by skimping and saving we are able to take kids on holidays most year, as well have our own holiday and not feel you have to do it cheap, buy an investment units and still have rainy day money.

Its not always the money coming in, you need also to watch the money going out..

Air bnb is a ******* rort it allows property owners to collect like what could be a week's rent in a couple days...

a client of mine has a holiday house and uses it sparingly during the year and mainly over christmas holidays. We suggested renting it out and blocking out the days they need it.....they now make over $20k a year on rentals through air bnb.

a client of mine has a holiday house and uses it sparingly during the year and mainly over christmas holidays. We suggested renting it out and blocking out the days they need it.....they now make over $20k a year on rentals through air bnb.
What's the nightly rate compared to what a weekly renting rate could be?

What's the nightly rate compared to what a weekly renting rate could be?

not sure there is any difference (no longer our clients).

but most people who rented it were for weekends or 2-3 day visits rather than a week or two at a time. Different rates for weekends im pretty sure and definitely on holidays and long weekends (if they werent using it)

not sure there is any difference (no longer our clients).

but most people who rented it were for weekends or 2-3 day visits rather than a week or two at a time. Different rates for weekends im pretty sure and definitely on holidays and long weekends (if they werent using it)

No expert but around here many Air Bnb can go for 200+ a night, when the ceiling for weekly rental would be around 500, so there's easy potential to make more money that way at the expense of people looking for somewhere to live.

No expert but around here many Air Bnb can go for 200+ a night, when the ceiling for weekly rental would be around 500, so there's easy potential to make more money that way at the expense of people looking for somewhere to live.

oh yeah no doubt, i thoguht you meant rent it out for a week rather than full time. Houses near the beach or holiday destinations can make plenty on short 2-3 day rentals and if not used over christmas period, can got for $2k+ a week.

had a client who lived in Sorento. she would go on holidays over the Christmas holidays and rent or place out for $2k+ a week. Make about $10k while she was on holidays.

A good salary for mine is something that's decently above average, so I went with $200k as many people seem to be earning $100k for lower level positions and working in common industries these days. I guess it depends if you define good as being in the upper percentiles or just comfortable with what you earn.

The average salary is like 30k more than the mean. The ultra rich really distort it. Mean should be considered a better representation of society.

Last edited:
Hobart is the most expensive city to rent a property according to a recent survey.

Hobart now Australia's most unaffordable city for tenants, new report finds - ABC News Hobart now least affordable capital for renters
The fine print here though.

“The latest report showed tenants in Hobart were spending 29 per cent of their wages on rent with Sydney renters close behind with 27 per cent, followed by Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Canberra and Perth.”

Sydney obviously would have a higher average wage but not for everyone and Sydney would have some properly high earning exec types that Hobart likely doesn’t seriously skewing those wage figures.

Go on real estate.com. 2 bedder in the East of Sydney isn’t getting you change from a thousand bucks, comparatively $500-$600 gets you the equivalent in Hobart.

I’m sure Hobart is exxy and I gotta admit I was shocked it was $500-$600 but it’s still foolish to compare the two imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Business & Finance What is a 'good salary' in Australia in 2022?

Back