Universal Love Getting around Reece. [UPDATE: REECE RETIRES]

Remove this Banner Ad

People will probably judge me for posting on here because 'I'm a footballer and your not supposed to do that' but this is really the only place i know of where i can say thank you to everyone who has written such lovely words of support to me in recent times, i would do it on twitter but it has a character limit and i feel like doing it this way is more personal as it is the least i can do for all supporting messages i have read. The last two years for me have been really difficult, i don't want to go into specifics because i don't want to release really sensitive information but just know that it has affected me to the point where i have suffered spouts of depression for weeks at a time here and there, i don't drink or do drugs thankfully so i am grounded in myself to see and recognize the issues i have and the effect they have on me. It's only just recently as well that i realized i suffer some heavy anxiety (amazing to think but sometimes it is hard to put on finger on things especially in the grand scheme of mental health) it started off as little things like afraid to talk to certain coaches or trainers, feeling anxious around certain players, trying to avoid people in general and then it progressed into way more serious things like panic attacks, unable to leave my bedroom for multiple days and not even being able to respond to all the messages and calls on my phone that i received during that time as that is also another thing that i struggle with. I'm going to try and not saying anything here that will get me into trouble because i know that this will be seen by people at Richmond and i am still a contracted player at Richmond so i will respect that. I love footy i really do, i love watching, listening, playing and just knowing that we have a sport that is so special and so unique that it requires such a particular combination of physical and skill attributes that does not even remotely come close to any other sport (except Galic footy and rugby a little bit) i wanna be successful and i wanna be the best, that has always been my dream but dreams are just that they are dreams they are not reality, in your dreams you do not plan for depression or anxiety or any of the crap that knocks you down or holds you back but reality is s**t happens and that sucks but Rome wasn't built in a day (sorry for the clique) nor did any successful athlete not suffer a serious setback at one stage in his career and consider just throwing in the towel because it was too hard. Will i be playing football this year? I don't know, Be i do know that no matter how hard it gets or how low or how anxious i get, i will not give up until i can be the best footballer i possibly can be, because there is nothing else more in the world that i want more.

Thank you Richmond Supporters, i know you may not think it and i must admit i lol'd when reading a message that started with 'Reece if you are reading this' but i do see your messages and i do cherish them, you are some of the most passionate supporters i have seen in any sport and for some of you to even know who i am still humbles me especially when they remember my number which is amazing because i barracked for Carlton since i was born and i only knew 30 at most players (and i was a die hard (i am sorry but i do love Richmond as well <3) If you do see me around (even though i will look pretty anxious) don't be afraid to give me a hug as you'll find majority of the time i will probably be more nervous then you. I'm happy to talk more with you guys if you'd like even if there is a stigma associated with sporting forums because i am a human at the end of the day and i love football just as much as you guys do.

No one will judge you mate, well done for having the strength to put it out there. You don't need advice but try some meditation techniques. Shutting your mind down works for some and it's worth a try. Selfishly us footy fans want to see you play but get yourself right first and the rest will take care of itself. Good luck with your fight mate the AFL community has your back.

All the best Reece. Telling your story is a big step forward and really appreciate your honesty.

And remember if your on Bigfooy, stay away from the Richmond gameday threads on the main board.

Good luck mate :thumbsu:

Hey Reece, we don't know each other and we're a couple of generations apart but your story certainly resonated with me.
Depression and anxiety has hit me very hard at times, I now recognise that it will be with me for life.
Seeking medical help and acknowledging my condition means that I can control it.
Your gutsy post tells me that you are well on the way to controlling your condition and your life will get better from this point on.
Talking honestly and openly to family and friends has helped enormously, you now have a huge network of friends, they do understand.
Best of luck, Reece.

People will probably judge me for posting on here because 'I'm a footballer and your not supposed to do that' but this is really the only place i know of where i can say thank you to everyone who has written such lovely words of support to me in recent times, i would do it on twitter but it has a character limit and i feel like doing it this way is more personal as it is the least i can do for all supporting messages i have read. The last two years for me have been really difficult, i don't want to go into specifics because i don't want to release really sensitive information but just know that it has affected me to the point where i have suffered spouts of depression for weeks at a time here and there, i don't drink or do drugs thankfully so i am grounded in myself to see and recognize the issues i have and the effect they have on me. It's only just recently as well that i realized i suffer some heavy anxiety (amazing to think but sometimes it is hard to put on finger on things especially in the grand scheme of mental health) it started off as little things like afraid to talk to certain coaches or trainers, feeling anxious around certain players, trying to avoid people in general and then it progressed into way more serious things like panic attacks, unable to leave my bedroom for multiple days and not even being able to respond to all the messages and calls on my phone that i received during that time as that is also another thing that i struggle with. I'm going to try and not saying anything here that will get me into trouble because i know that this will be seen by people at Richmond and i am still a contracted player at Richmond so i will respect that. I love footy i really do, i love watching, listening, playing and just knowing that we have a sport that is so special and so unique that it requires such a particular combination of physical and skill attributes that does not even remotely come close to any other sport (except Galic footy and rugby a little bit) i wanna be successful and i wanna be the best, that has always been my dream but dreams are just that they are dreams they are not reality, in your dreams you do not plan for depression or anxiety or any of the crap that knocks you down or holds you back but reality is s**t happens and that sucks but Rome wasn't built in a day (sorry for the clique) nor did any successful athlete not suffer a serious setback at one stage in his career and consider just throwing in the towel because it was too hard. Will i be playing football this year? I don't know, Be i do know that no matter how hard it gets or how low or how anxious i get, i will not give up until i can be the best footballer i possibly can be, because there is nothing else more in the world that i want more.

Thank you Richmond Supporters, i know you may not think it and i must admit i lol'd when reading a message that started with 'Reece if you are reading this' but i do see your messages and i do cherish them, you are some of the most passionate supporters i have seen in any sport and for some of you to even know who i am still humbles me especially when they remember my number which is amazing because i barracked for Carlton since i was born and i only knew 30 at most players (and i was a die hard (i am sorry but i do love Richmond as well <3) If you do see me around (even though i will look pretty anxious) don't be afraid to give me a hug as you'll find majority of the time i will probably be more nervous then you. I'm happy to talk more with you guys if you'd like even if there is a stigma associated with sporting forums because i am a human at the end of the day and i love football just as much as you guys do.

That took a lot of courage to come on to a large diverse forum like this and put yourself out there like that, especially when you are a part of a world where media training, political correctness and scripted responses through official channels is part and parcel of life and a little bit cliché.

I wish you all the best ... I won't say in your recovery as even that places an expectation that coming out of it is inevitable. It's funny how even positive words and encouragement can make you feel that some don't understand it.

I have been coping with a lot of anxiety and stress for the last 7 years or so, which manifests itself physically with fatigue, or maybe the latter causes the former ... I don't know. More than anything you just need patience, understanding and unconditional support. Having that around you for as long as it takes will help you to mend parts of yourself. We are complicated creatures and there is so much we don't know about what makes us tick and what causes us to react the way we do.

I really hope reaching out gives you the space and time to mend and find yourself in a better place Reece. All the best.

What you've done here Reece is fantastic. Bottling up emotions and letting them fester is one of the worst things you can do when battling mental illness. Hopefully the outpouring of support shown here can inspire others battling similar demons to open up to their loved ones.

Good luck and best wishes

You're a good egg Reece, wish you all the best. As somebody who suffered from severe panic attacks at uni and mild depression at that time, the only thing i'll say is Don't EVER think you're alone with this - there is no stigma. You've been brave to post this and shows the type of person you are that you'll go out of your way to express your gratitude. Go get'em tiger

Thanks for personal revelations. Really moving. Most supporters are passionate and want success from our clubs so it's frustrating when we get nothing but their spin and PR. We have 200 page threads on issues cos we don't know WTF is going on behind closed doors. But it's been great reading posts on this thread, mental health issues have only being discussed in the last few years and we are just starting to get some understanding of them

Being embraced like this on the Internet. Not even Justin Bieber gets this much love. There's a lot to look forward too, I understand your trouble, just remember you're really talented and have a lot of potential. Don't give up on your dreams, we will back you in.

Just read like 30 messages in their entirety and realized there is still another 87 left.. amazing guys truly amazing sounds clique of me to say that i 'did not expect this' but truly i did not. I usually would like to get back to every single one so I'll do my best. (Once i finishing reading them all I'll do a follow up post of sorts but you people and you're damn long caring and thoughtful essays! Haha)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just read like 30 messages in their entirety and realized there is still another 87 left.. amazing guys truly amazing sounds clique of me to say that i 'did not expect this' but truly i did not. I usually would like to get back to every single one so I'll do my best. (Once i finishing reading them all I'll do a follow up post of sorts but you people and you're damn long caring and thoughtful essays! Haha)

Just know you're not alone mate, the wider football community have shown they want the best for you if that involves playing footy or not.

You're just lucky I didn't have more time to write... then you would have got an essay!

Can't express how impressed and proud I am of your post Reece. It's amazing how many of us have similar stories - all different, but our tales are also all eerily similar.
For me, the hardest step was admitting to myself that there was a problem. When I was up I would be in denial of any problem & when I was down it was all I could do to carry on a semblance of being a "normal" person. Took me close to 10 years to get to the point of accepting I had depression, then another 10 years to open up to friends and colleagues. Every story is different and I don't want to sound patronising, but you've already made it past that point and I hope you continue with that strength and make it to full recovery like I have.

I'm a bit old and a bloke but if you need a hug and you're around, I'll give you one!:D

This guy is going to have the best post to like ratio ever :D

Reece, if your reading this...:cool:

Just wanted to say kudos for taking the step to talk to the fans directly. It mustve taken a lot of bottle Big Man, as admitting to depression is one thing, but to do it on an open forum is something else altogether. I hope you understand how much admiration I and other fans have for the big step you have taken.

Depression has been a part of my life (both diagnosed and undiagnosed) for a very long time and I know all to well how it distorts your view on life, your behaviours and worst of all how you view yourself and how you think others view you.

From experience, I hope you can be honest to those whom you keep close and trust, dont shut yourself away, as sadly we are not always our own best company. Take professional help and try and speak to others who have gone/are going through the same. Youll be amazed how similar peoples experiences are to a degree and that you are not alone in seeing life as you do.

Hopefully you can also make the time to get down to punt road and see and speak to the boys, just keeping that relationship going is a vital step. Hopefully you can get back playing footy in the future as I hope you dont have to give up doing something you love.

Finally I hope you can make it along to a game and sit in amongst the fans and feel the support around you.

Keep on keeping on mate

That's why footy is the best sport on earth. Brings us all together . Thanks again Reece for your post. My prayers and thoughts with you always. The guru

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Getting around Reece. [UPDATE: REECE RETIRES]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back