GF Eve holiday

Remove this Banner Ad

But not every business can just make money on the day. It can work for those that can sell products readily available to the public (such as hospitality).

But what about small scale businesses that require long term work in order to make bulk profits (such as an office, consultancies and IT desk)?

I'm certainly no lead economist, but surely an extra public holiday can perturb those general networks of businesses.

I love people who have no idea about economics talking about it

Think about what you are saying

Long term work is LONG TERM. The contract doesn't collapse because of a public holiday, it's work that's either brought forward or delayed ONE day

No one buys fewer trucks, fewer severs, fewer consultancies because of a public holiday. If a business needs a new it network, that won't change because the office is closed for one day

There have been lots of studies on public holidays, and their economic impact, and guess what, it's positive. Discretionary spending increases as people hit the shops, restaurants, entertainment outlets, and travel for long weekends. Capital spending is virtually unchanged.

Both China and Japan have added to their public holidays for one reason, to boost the consumption levels in their markets.

If you want to be an economist, trying reading Porter instead of Bolt

Popular with anyone that gets to take the day off, go on a weekend away, spend time with loved ones, or maybe do a bit of shopping or grab a coffee or a meal and support those small businesses. Work to live and all that...

Those small businesses that have to pay penalty rates to be open on a public holiday? They will need to sell a heck of a lot of extra lattes to make being open a viable option. From what I am hearing most of them will be closed, especially if people are going to vacate Melbourne for the weekend.

Of course it's nice to have a day off but you have to be responsible about these things and a public holiday for GF is not in the best interests of Victorians as a whole. I understand that some people just think of themselves (woo hoo, a day off, who can complain about that :rolleyes: ) but I expect the government to act more responsibly in these matters.

Would lol if were a derby grand final. The Vics taking a public holiday to celebrate the derby

Dude, it's Melbourne - doesn't matter who's playing it's still close to the biggest weekend of the year

Dude, it's Melbourne - doesn't matter who's playing it's still close to the biggest weekend of the year

True but the idea of the first grand final eve public holiday being a WA derby grand final is pretty funny

Can someone remind me what Boxing Day is for, again? I'm just assuming that it wasn't introduced entirely to get us to the stocktake sales, give us a chance to return dud Christmas presents and get a sellout at the MCG.

Queen's Birthday is shit. Melbourne Cup Day is shit (not the actual holidays, they rock, just the dubious reasons for having them). I could go on. The AFL Grand Final is more important to the majority of the public in this state than any number of other public holidays, including Anzac Day (yeah, I said it). And I don't really give a stuff if it's Fremantle and West Coast playing, or Fremantle and the Bulldogs.

Reality is public holidays are there to provide a day most workers can have day off. I know in my gigs I've often gone up to five years without more than one day off in a row because my bosses have vetoed it.

We used to do them for religion, then nationalism, now sport. It's much of a muchness really

True but the idea of the first grand final eve public holiday being a WA derby grand final is pretty funny

If you haven't don't it, do the trip one year, the whole city changes.

Also there is no Vic love fest for the gf. For the brissy/pies flags most neutrals were on the lions because we all hate pies fans so much. Personally did similar with the crows and Eagles in past flags too.

Not if it's two interstate teams and we have a long weekend, expect a mass exodus!

Bullshit, I have mates already planning their gf bbq's and parties

Forgotten the swans vs Eagles flags already?

You may be shocked, but most want to see a good game, they don't give a shit about post codes.

You may be shocked, but most want to see a good game, they don't give a shit about post codes.

I'm sure there are more people out there who would prefer to go to work who don't give a shit about our football code in the slightest.

I'm sure there are more people out there who would prefer to go to work who don't give a shit about our football code in the slightest.

Some, but not a huge amount

Look at advertising leading up to the weekend. There will be some about trips away, but the vast majority will be food bev and entertaining companies looking for a big gf party bump. If in doubt always follow the money

Those small businesses that have to pay penalty rates to be open on a public holiday? They will need to sell a heck of a lot of extra lattes to make being open a viable option. From what I am hearing most of them will be closed, especially if people are going to vacate Melbourne for the weekend.

Of course it's nice to have a day off but you have to be responsible about these things and a public holiday for GF is not in the best interests of Victorians as a whole. I understand that some people just think of themselves (woo hoo, a day off, who can complain about that :rolleyes: ) but I expect the government to act more responsibly in these matters.

I think you're thinking of yourself too and if you were in the same position as most of us, you'd be looking forward to the day like most of us.

And I would have thought that retail outlets, restaurants and the like would be quite within their rights to expect something around double the sales on a day when everyone is out shopping, eating, or getting their hair and nails done compare to a day where everyone is working.

Sydney do have the South Melbourne connection.

A hypothetical derby grand final will be the first grand final between two teams without any VFL connection

I know people who are planning a weekend away. We didn't a public holiday on the Friday when Swans played Eagles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you haven't don't it, do the trip one year, the whole city changes.

Also there is no Vic love fest for the gf. For the brissy/pies flags most neutrals were on the lions because we all hate pies fans so much. Personally did similar with the crows and Eagles in past flags too.

Speaking from experience, the crowd was overwhelmingly pro-Geelong in 2011 as well, compared to the usual 30/70 split we usually see in our MCG games against Hawthorn and Collingwood. People would be excited about a derby grand final. I'd probably go.

Sydney do have the South Melbourne connection.

A hypothetical derby grand final will be the first grand final between two teams without any VFL connection

True, but non Vic fans really over play any anti thing against them.

I hate the blues, pies, dons, Hawks and norf 100 times more than any of the interstate sides, and it's not about history, it's about me thinking their supporters are flogs (and I know they would feel the same about me)

I wanted freo to win last, and I was far from alone.

Face facts, we hate each other more than we hate you :)

Some, but not a huge amount

Look at advertising leading up to the weekend. There will be some about trips away, but the vast majority will be food bev and entertaining companies looking for a big gf party bump. If in doubt always follow the money

Follow the money you say, what unions/industries with financial links to the Andrews government have an RDO on the Monday following?

I'd be surprised if there are any industries in australia, let alone hospitality that can expect a worker to multiply their output on a given day by 250% which is essentially what the government is asking. Pathetic.

I love people who have no idea about economics talking about it

Think about what you are saying

Long term work is LONG TERM. The contract doesn't collapse because of a public holiday, it's work that's either brought forward or delayed ONE day

No one buys fewer trucks, fewer severs, fewer consultancies because of a public holiday. If a business needs a new it network, that won't change because the office is closed for one day

There have been lots of studies on public holidays, and their economic impact, and guess what, it's positive. Discretionary spending increases as people hit the shops, restaurants, entertainment outlets, and travel for long weekends. Capital spending is virtually unchanged.

Both China and Japan have added to their public holidays for one reason, to boost the consumption levels in their markets.

If you want to be an economist, trying reading Porter instead of Bolt
Don't make assumptions about me. I don't read Andrew Bolt nor have an ambition of being an economist.

Also, I don't mean long term as in contract work.

What I am trying to say is that a company may need that day's work in order to meet a deadline in the not too distant future.

Say for example a consultancy firm has to complete an audit for a client by a date the week after the GF. They would likely need the GF Eve to do that work. If some people have the day off, then it would likely put a strain on other people in the business such as managers.

I agree that holidays are good for hospitality, retail, etc... (even with increased worker pay rates)... But that's because they have consumables that are readily available.

However that doesn't mean holidays are beneficial for every single industry.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any holidays. But there should be the right number in order to ensure that all industries are looked after.

The more holidays there are, the more skewed profits will be to some industries and less to others (and same vice versa).

I think you're thinking of yourself too and if you were in the same position as most of us, you'd be looking forward to the day like most of us.

And I would have thought that retail outlets, restaurants and the like would be quite within their rights to expect something around double the sales on a day when everyone is out shopping, eating, or getting their hair and nails done compare to a day where everyone is working.

Why am I thinking of myself?

Why are so many businesses planning to be closed then? I can give you a guarantee my hairdresser won't be open that Friday! Not even taking into account that most businesses don't revolve around shopping, eating, hair and nails.

I know people who are planning a weekend away. We didn't a public holiday on the Friday when Swans played Eagles.

There won't be many though

Are you seriously saying you won't watch the game unless Victorian teams are playing? If so, why?

I'd be surprised if there are any industries in australia, let alone hospitality that can expect a worker to multiply their output on a given day by 250% which is essentially what the government is asking. Pathetic.

Correct. Was talking to someone before that runs a retail business in the CBD. Penalty rates of 2.5 times the usual rates means they will not be opening GF eve.

Are you seriously saying you won't watch the game unless Victorian teams are playing? If so, why?

Are you saying that you would take a day off to watch the gold coast GWS parade down the street?
Correct. Was talking to someone before that runs a retail business in the CBD. Penalty rates of 2.5 times the usual rates means they will not be opening GF eve.

Does his landlord let him pay for a day less on his lease? Average rent CDB Would be 120k it??? $300 off?

Don't make assumptions about me. I don't read Andrew Bolt nor have an ambition to being an economist.

Also, I don't mean long term as in contract work.

What I am trying to say is that a company may need that day's work in order to meet a deadline in the not too distant future.

Say for example a consultancy firm has to complete an audit for a client by a date the week after the GF. They would likely need the GF Eve to do that work. If some people have the day off, then it would likely put a strain on other people in the business such as managers.

I agree that holidays are good for hospitality, retail, etc... (even with increased worker pay rates)... But that's because they have consumables that are readily available.

However that doesn't mean holidays are beneficial for every single industry.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any holidays. But there should be the right number in order to ensure that all industries are looked after.

The more holidays there are, the more skewed profits will be to some industries and less to others (and same vice versa).

As someone who has been a consultant, has submitted tenders, and everything you just said, you know what happens? You finish it the day before

Do you think Victorian companies miss tender deadlines in NSW when the submit date falls on cup day?

As for only benefiting discretionary spend outlets, you are wrong again. These firms have to build up there inventories to cop with the extra sales, which means more food manufactured, more shoes imported, more goods transported, more fuel consumed. This is the point. This spending would not have occurred without the holiday. A company needing a new truck just delays the buy till Monday

As for your background, what is your background in economics? I did my masters in international economic theory, so genuinely interested in where you are getting your theories from, as they go counter to every international study on this issue

As for your background, what is your background in economics? I did my masters in international economic theory, so genuinely interested in where you are getting your theories from, as they go counter to every international study on this issue

Your coach used to copy my notes and answers at Monash...

Are you saying that you would take a day off to watch the gold coast GWS parade down the street?

Does his landlord let him pay for a day less on his lease? Average rent CDB Would be 120k it??? $300 off?

I don't take a day off for the parade ever, and wouldn't for the tigs (it's for the kids, and I'm not one)

I will probably watch it but I am more likely to go away if its two interstate teams I care nothing about and I have an extra day off. I can still watch it from where ever I go away to after all.

Remove this Banner Ad

GF Eve holiday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back