Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

One can see Harley Reid will be 4 R1’s. …Trade a pick into future ..and use two Futures…. and that only works in OOC. Free Agents and DFA are going to become more important..

How much would Rich have demanded for Baker if West Coast could dip into the future? Would have been better for West Coast to tell him to sign for unders at Rich for one extra year .. and get him as a FA..
Makes you realise that if North were smart enough to pick Harley last year, their entire fortunes would have changed and they would have become attractive to players like Houstan. Real sliding doors moment.

It’s is odd that this years draft is supposed to be a good one but everyone seems to be trading out of it 🤔
There are sides trading back because the depth is there and there are sides trading out because they have academy kids. This draft is genuinely good. Better than next years or last years

🤔

We may have at least two players potentially looking at nominating for the draft with trade negotiations potentially stalling

If it's one player left stranded after the trade period, then the AFL can kinda brush it off as "these things happen", but if it's two players then maybe there's a bit more discussion around the movement of out of contract players

I think there are two verys in that sentence that don't belong.

He's good, but very inconsistent. Certainly not worth that ransom imo.
I think that to play as well as he has forward of the ball in an ordinary side has been a pretty outstanding effort TBH. It's not like he's Toby Greene playing in front of that GWS midfield.

Makes you realise that if North were smart enough to pick Harley last year, their entire fortunes would have changed and they would have become attractive to players like Houstan. Real sliding doors moment.

You mean if North had traded for West Coast #1 pick? I think WC said they would trade P1 for P2 and P3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, it looks like Richmond will hold 1, 6, 10, 11, 18, 20, 23 & 24 this afternoon....

...have a late dip at Harley Reid ya mugs :cool:

How many of these selections will Richmond screw up on draft night?

2001 was a super draft but the first round still featured Graham Polak, Xavier Clarke, Ashley Sampi, Luke Molan, Sam Power, Richie Cole, Ashley Watson, Barry Brooks, Rick Ladson and Shane Harvey.

They get one shot here to get it right. Developing the players properly with a lack of senior players and getting smashed every week will be the issue. If you draft any interstate players particularly they are going to be a big flight risk if they get smashed for the next 2-3 years which you would expect with their exodus, even if they do draft well.

I think that to play as well as he has forward of the ball in an ordinary side has been a pretty outstanding effort TBH. It's not like he's Toby Greene playing in front of that GWS midfield.
Agree to disagree. He wanted out of the club and they got a ransom for someone who gave up at times during games.

So, it looks like Richmond will hold 1, 6, 10, 11, 18, 20, 23 & 24 this afternoon....

...have a late dip at Harley Reid ya mugs :cool:
Herschel Walker-type deal. Would be hilarous if that happened and Reid's career went the same way as Walker's did at the Vikings.

A WCE dynasty wouldn't be as hilarious though I guess.

2001 was a super draft but the first round still featured Graham Polak, Xavier Clarke, Ashley Sampi, Luke Molan, Sam Power, Richie Cole, Ashley Watson, Barry Brooks, Rick Ladson and Shane Harvey.

They get one shot here to get it right. Developing the players properly with a lack of senior players and getting smashed every week will be the issue. If you draft any interstate players particularly they are going to be a big flight risk if they get smashed for the next 2-3 years which you would expect even if they do draft well.

Their senior players are ok. They could be somewhat competitive next year (say 13-16) if things go right.

The problem is their 19-26 year olds. Literally their second best player in that group behind Balta is someone like Rhyan Mansell or Maurice Rioli jnr. It's comically bad.

Basically if that group continues to look utterly dire then they could smash this draft and they'll still have a weak group of young players by league standards.

Well damn, if I knew that the Bulldogs were going to be paying Macrae's full wages for the remainder of his contract, I would have been more keen to get on board and some a deal for both Smith & Jack

Then why so rigid about Smith going to Geelong 😵‍💫

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back