Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Sam Power is like the woman in Little Britain that says “computer says no”.

They call me Picasso in the office.

View attachment 2144276

michael fassbender perfection GIF

Gold Coast (and GWS) have a unique problem, though, in that they are drowning in high draft picks, but nobody wants to bloody stay there past 25.

They also just have to make the finals sometime soon, just get in there. This isn't going to happen in the next two years on the back of Pick Six.

Hence, why a draft pick is probably worth less to GC than most other clubs, and an established player with leadership qualities is worth more.

what leadership qualities? Because he’s 27? He’s not part of any of Richmond’s leadership group.

He ain’t worth pick 6, they could’ve worked out a way to get him for less, or split the pick etc. don’t know why you continue to defend all these dogshhh trades that have happened.

But why???
Yeah they haven't got much idea over at Whitten Oval. They would have known that Jack and Caleb were likely gone. A smarter club would have pumped games into them in the back half of the season to inflate their value and maximise their haul, just like they do in the states.

Many clubs are still well behind the eight ball on how they view and manage these things.

Richmond now has the chance to consider whether it is keen to trade up to the No. 2 pick overall given North Melbourne’s willingness to slide back for an extra draft selection.

That move would require two first-round picks but would see the Tigers with picks one, two and six overall in the draft.

---

IF North is willing to trade pick 2, and willing to trade it to Richmond, then surely they should be demanding pick 6 as part of any deal

Richmond now has the chance to consider whether it is keen to trade up to the No. 2 pick overall given North Melbourne’s willingness to slide back for an extra draft selection.

That move would require two first-round picks but would see the Tigers with picks one, two and six overall in the draft.

---

IF North is willing to trade pick 2, and willing to trade it to Richmond, then surely they should be demanding pick 6 as part of any deal

6 and 10 at minimum you would think

I would be asking for more personally

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what leadership qualities? Because he’s 27? He’s not part of any of Richmond’s leadership group.

He ain’t worth pick 6, they could’ve worked out a way to get him for less, or split the pick etc. don’t know why you continue to defend all these dogshhh trades that have happened.
Mate, Rioli won the B&F
GC are not using pick 6. It absolutely is overs on the surface. But there's more to it obviously.

Won’t be shocked to see the Tiges aim for #2.

Not sure if it’ll happen or if they will even pursue it but I’ve thought doing so makes sense for a while.

They’d know who they want in the draft and what picks they’d likely need to land them.

Jagga Smith and FOS are teammates + the Tigers have had them play in their VFL team.

I reckon there’s a chance they’d want both those guys.

I doubt the Roos want either so high possibility a trade happens if the Tigers go for it.

---

I hope they do this! What a great move.

The guy just put together an excellent season in a club that fell to bits, having that mature head around is going to really matter to a team like GC.
Defend? Not really - I think they did overpay, but I can see the justification for it.

To most clubs, established players are plentiful enough, but high draft picks and access to elite talent is absolute gold. To Gold Coast, it's the other way around - no shortage of talent whatsoever, especially with the upcoming Academy haul. Rioli was in-contract, so no deal was a real possibility.

It's like being a Western tourist in a developing country - you will get absolutely ripped off, but the price is less important to you than the goods because you've already got plenty of money.

I do kind of like suspense movies.
Can we flick Smith and just wait for trade night?

And I dont mean that we shaft the bulldogs. But if on trade night Wells says "there's a guy there that I cant believe is still there"

And takes that player instead.
And then with live picks maybe trades up to get Smith?

Help please, I just need to know if I'm reading the following correctly

Fremantle just paid 4 x first round picks for Shai Bolton & pick 14...

Edit addition - if trading 4 first round picks, surely they could have sent that Sydney for Chad Warner who is surely a better player

And this kinda seems like Fremantle's moment of - "Hey WCE, you think you're the only one who can complete crazy stupid trades... Watch this"

This is so much more than we paid for Cameron it's mind boggling

Is it just me or has Sam Power become the new Adrian Dodoro?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back