Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

I am always astounded when posters store other ambit claims somewhere deep in their memory bank only to resurface them weeks/months later for a Gotcha. Honestly, I don't think anyone else really cares. You were right, someone else on the internet was wrong. It's a bit of a Tallest Dwarf competition
My take from that post is that people are still using light mode in 2024.

Couldn't resist one last post, amidst all the Smith discussion around his contract versus worth, FINALLY found that Edmund article from a while back that details contract value - this was supported by other reporters around the time too.

["Although it was apparent that several clubs were interested in Smith’s services, Geelong will be the landing place for the young midfielder for reasons beyond the finances.

“It’s been Geelong in the box seat for the better part of 18 months,” Edmund continued.

“I see no reason that that has shifted. We know that Hawthorn have got other priorities in terms of (Tom) Barrass, (Josh) Battle and the like.

“I am told though that it’s not huge money, that basically any other club could fit him in so it’s not a money decision from Bailey Smith at all.

“There’s a bit of lifestyle in there, there’s a bit of football programming in there as well I understand.

“He was out of contract at the Western Bulldogs who would have surely offered him a long-term deal as well.

“Don’t pretend to know the length of the contract at the Cats or anything else at the Cats but it will be a long-term one for sure.”]

My guess, 800K at 5 years, based on that. For a guy we've given up what will effectively be Pick 20/21, and was originally drafted at Pick 7 + all the commercial elements he'll bring...there is very little downside to this trade.

See you all on November 20th!

This was your initial questions: "So if we gave Smith a 7 year deal at $1m+ per annum you still like the trade?"

My answer to that is yes - regardless of the contract Smith signs with Geelong, I'm happy with how the trade played out and that he essentially only cost us a single first round pick at the trade. We were trading for an out of contract player, so the relevance in this situation is the value of the player to both clubs and the middle ground they find in agreeing to that value

Once that trade is a agreed to and Smith is a Geelong, his contract is a seperate issue and one is that is of zero relevance to the Bulldogs nor his trade value - and as such your analogy doesn't really make sense in this situation

Now, if Smith was a Free Agent then you're analogy would have more relevance to the situation because the contract offered to Smith would actually have an influence of how he would be valued in terms of compensation - a high enough contract to get his original team a overvalued draft pick in compensation, they probably accept it and we all move on. But if the Bulldogs didn't like the compensation pick on offer, matched the contract and forced a trade, then suddenly it all becomes on piece because we may have been forced to pay a higher price at the trade table & potentially more on the books than if the player wasn't chased as a free agent
We will have to agree to disagree.

I just don’t see how the trade can be a good one for Geelong if we have committed to a bad contract because of the trade.

I will move on.

Thinking on it… If I was Rich id risk one of their picks on him so..I guess you are probably right..probably gone by mid 20’s which is the sort of number I think we can get into.

Im not sure how we would see it. I cant remember ever liking Holmes so really who knows what or who the club would like. I like Hynes too but its good to be able to be confident that the club will find a way to bring in a couple of fresh names..
If the club really like someone they will not be bound by others opinions… fro example if the really want Lachie Jaques .. they then could trade in and call him early.

Funny you mention Hynes. He was another that I was thinking last night I’d be interested in a trade back into this draft to get.

While I agree with you about lifetime cost, I think the likelihood of us paying silly money (or, indeed, overs) for Smith is very slim indeed.

It's part of our 'brand' as it were - people know they do not get big money at Geelong, but the trade off is a competitive team and great work/life balance.
If we have managed that then we are truly the greatest club of all, and will be highly competitive forever.

One can dream

i think everyone neeed to be realistic and come to terms smith is probably one of the highest paid(not the highest) players as that is what you need to get required players from other teams. i have a guess he is on the same level as holmes and stengle new deals.

We will have to agree to disagree.

I just don’t see how the trade can be a good one for Geelong if we have committed to a bad contract because of the trade.

I will move on.
Any talk about it being a good or bad trade is just speculation.

Proof will eventually be in the pudding.

Fingers crossed Smith is a very good player for a very long time for us.

Funny you mention Hynes. He was another that I was thinking last night I’d be interested in a trade back into this draft to get.

He heavy hitter body shape … yes like him. Goal kicking mid with burst. I think in other drafts would be rated higher.

Just a quick question about list numbers -
So far, we've dropped 9 from our list, 3 of which were rookies (I believe).
B Smith in, J Martin to come.
  1. Will Martin be contracted as a rookie, or full list spot?
  2. Does this mean we have to then fill another 7 list spots, via the draft?

Just a quick question about list numbers -
So far, we've dropped 9 from our list, 3 of which were rookies (I believe).
B Smith in, J Martin to come.
  1. Will Martin be contracted as a rookie, or full list spot?
  2. Does this mean we have to then fill another 7 list spots, via the draft?
Haven’t checked the exact maths but that sounds about right.

We will get at least 3 through the national draft (I wouldn’t be suprised if we trade futures to get more in this draft) and I reckon we keep at least 3 open spaces. May use one the next day for pre season draft (not sure why but…) and definitely I think keep 1 or 2 for SPP and 1 for mid season draft?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You gotta be super happy Mangy Carl

Lucky for us Mackdog is doing the negotiating and not you.

You were handing over 2x R1s lol... Mackie saved you an entire first-rounder.

Even less than your best-case scenario 1st + 2nd (much less).
View attachment 2145334
But to be fair, at the time I did think we were winning the flag, and thus, out RD1 and 2 picks were down a few extra places..
I'm still wrong and know nohting, but with a little more context..

PS - Great negotiating work Macks..

Who thinks the Cats might take a low/rookie pick gamble on Werribee ruckman Brayden Crossley?

Would be handy backup for Conway/Stanley...

The narrative about Carlton being big winners is interesting to me.

Getting pick 3 for two middle of the road first rounders, ok looks good on paper.

For us it would be great as we need to get an elite midfield talent in the door post Danger.

For Carlton they have the elite players already - Cripps, Curnow, Walsh.

Their list issue is that the bottom 6 players plus the next few outside the team are all hot trash and it meant their season was done at the end of the year as soon as they copped a few injuries.

To get pick 3 they have turned 2 players into 1.

They have reduced the quality of the bottom 6 players by moving on Kennedy and Owies.

As a club they just have blinkers on the high end of the draft and the next great white hope.

If they actually developed a few late picks / rookie picks and added say Miers, Close, Jack Henry and Z Guthrie to their team they would be in a far better position.

Who thinks the Cats might take a low/rookie pick gamble on Werribee ruckman Brayden Crossley?

Would be handy backup for Conway/Stanley...

Southport ruckman. Zero chance.

Stanley > Conway > De Koning > Blitz.

4 ruck options that CS would play ahead of him no matter what because he wants his ruckman to get around the ground.

If all 4 are injured our season would be done anyway. Adding a mature ruck to the list is pointless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back