Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

To give the Dees fans some credit they haven’t come in here sulking and bitching about it all
I have stalked both Doggies and Dees boards a bit for some entertainment.

I can confirm the Dees fans (to my untrained eye) are far more switched on and realistic than the Doggies.

If I want a guaranteed lol... I head to the Dogs board.

hope you guys don’t mind me sharing this

BAILEY SMITH​

There have been talks between Geelong and the Western Bulldogs on how this deal gets done, but there is still a gap between the parties with three days to run in the trade period. The Cats have tabled their first-round pick this year – No.17 – but the Bulldogs are keen for more to add to it, or for the pick to be shifted up the board. If an impasse can't be broken, given Smith's out of contract status, he could have to wait until the national or pre-season draft to get to the Cats. That is still seen as a long shot, though, with all parties preferring to get a deal done.

Smith can just refuse to get interviewed by another club.. Would be nuta if another side grabbed him with their first pick in the ND..

I have stalked both Doggies and Dees boards a bit for some entertainment.

I can confirm the Dees fans (to my untrained eye) are far more switched on and realistic than the Doggies.

If I want a guaranteed lol... I head to the Dogs board.
In simple terms.

Doggies fans: We're shit because the AFL, politics, and society as a whole collude against us.

Dees fans: We're shit because our club is run by morons, and our coach is on the gear.

Option two certainly sounds more like how 'normal' people would react, rather than nuff nuffs.

Smith can just refuse to get interviewed by another club.. Would be nuta if another side grabbed him with their first pick in the ND..
If it goes to the ND he will put a price on his head that clubs can’t afford and as you said just get his manager to state to them that he’s not interested in going to another club

No club is going to burn their draft capital and good will and reputation by drafting a player that doesn’t want to be there

All a moot point it won’t get to the ND

Every single Dogs fan I know would rather see him go to the draft than get unders for him. We may lose this time but not long term.
And if the supporters mirror the organisation, this is exactly why the Dogs will continue to me a middle table club.

You will lose long term and short term because potential recruits will look at how the Bulldogs have handled this and go "I don't want to be part of a club that behaves like it's a 1980s footy club"

And if the supporters mirror the organisation, this is exactly why the Dogs will continue to me a middle table club.

You will lose long term and short term because potential recruits will look at how the Bulldogs have handled this and go "I don't want to be part of a club that behaves like it's a 1980s footy club"
There’s not a club in the AFL that could move there salary cap around to accommodate a $1 million plus price on Baz head ….on a player that doesn’t want to be there mind you …should the doggies somehow fail the AFLPA mediation and walk him into the ND

They won’t get anything and he will come here for free …actually I hope they do this just so we can use the first round pick elsewhere

The Dogs have not pushed him out. He has been courted by your sponsor and recruiting department, we would still happily have him. If you want him you’ll pay for him, simple. If not t was the other way around you’d be saying the same as the Bulldogs now. He’ll be our hoops or yours next season depending on who pays.
Yeah he’s not going back to the dogs, even if a trade isn’t done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every single Dogs fan I know would rather see him go to the draft than get unders for him. We may lose this time but not long term. We don’t want to be pushed around by wealthy clubs anymore. He hasn’t even got to free agency and we feel we are being screwed by the AFL and the wealthy clubs who are also throughout the media. He is a young gun with 10 years left in the game. But he is an extremely immature narcissist easily lead by money and fame, not necessarily football history.
You’d rather get nothing for him?
🤦‍♂️
Seriously, some fans are just that stupid.

Didn't Mackie do the same with Sav last year? Somebody mentioned that Port tried to REALLY low-ball us early on, but think they were offering pick #25 with time to spare and we still held out until the last minute (and got those "steak knives" that were put to great use).

This is just typical posturing and no different that most list managers do at this time of year. I know both sets of fans will see it their way, but this deal will get done - probably in a similar way (we throw another token pick their way or do some kind of pick swap on Wednesday afternoon / evening).

Didn't Mackie do the same with Sav last year? Somebody mentioned that Port tried to REALLY low-ball us early on, but think they were offering pick #25 with time to spare and we still held out until the last minute (and got those "steak knives" that were put to great use).

This is just typical posturing and no different that most list managers do at this time of year. I know both sets of fans will see it their way, but this deal will get done - probably in a similar way (we throw another token pick their way or do some kind of pick swap on Wednesday afternoon / evening).
Big difference is that we offered Sav a contract

Baz isn’t wanted and doesn’t want to be at the club

hope you guys don’t mind me sharing this

BAILEY SMITH​

There have been talks between Geelong and the Western Bulldogs on how this deal gets done, but there is still a gap between the parties with three days to run in the trade period. The Cats have tabled their first-round pick this year – No.17 – but the Bulldogs are keen for more to add to it, or for the pick to be shifted up the board. If an impasse can't be broken, given Smith's out of contract status, he could have to wait until the national or pre-season draft to get to the Cats. That is still seen as a long shot, though, with all parties preferring to get a deal done.

No not at all no problems.
I think we will add 38 or a future 2nd to 17 (depends on the Oliver happening or not though) and you might send back a 60s pick with Bailey (we will use late picks this year) but that will get it done.

I think he might retire if that's the case.

But I can't see her staying with a local footy ruckman.

He won't retire he wants the 2 years on his contract $ that he has (he would only retire if medical payout). But I think she will move back to melb. I wonder if any other club in Vic will go for him late but Port want too much in picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back