Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Honestly this has been the biggest bullshit trade period ever, there has literally been nothing happening for a week, hardly any news either, its stupid
The Oliver stuff was good at the start, the punches at the MFC kept landing, pity it was the MFC throwing them. Other then that I'd give it a solid meh/10.

Not enough would need more for 3

Agree

I know some will refer to the draft pick points table, but the ability to draft a top 3 or 4 player is always going to be more valuable than a couple of kids in the teens

I had a good laugh at the (accurate) comment, that some of the suggestions made when WCE get a top end draft pick look like they've been suggested by a 40yr fan of an opposition club

It's hard to know what their salary actually is, as best as I can find, I believe Macrae is on around 600k for the remaining 3 years of his deal. It's high next year, but low the final 2 years, whilst Daniel is on around 650k for the remaining 2 years.

I agree that it's impractical having those sorts of salaries in the VFL, but unless we're filling the pinch of the salary cap there's no real reason to trade them out for anything other than overs (given they're contracted). Next year we've got a few coming out of contract so who knows.
You know what mate?
I've said this forever.

The (then VFL) brought in a minimum salary cap so that they could boot Fitzroy. I have little doubt about that.
But I'd really like the min and max player numbers adjusted.

Let's say you're north Melbourne. Let them have up to 55 players (or so) and being able to spread that salary cap.
Let them find out which players will fit.
Dont make them pay 1.2 mil to someone who isn't worth it. Hell, dont pay 600k to someone who isn't worth it. Just because you have to meet the minimum cap.

The draft depth would increase massively. We'd see 100 being drafted. We'd see a lot more trades too.
And it would give clubs like North a chance to sort the wheat from the chaff rather than needing to nail draft after draft to get anywhere.

Daniel shouldn't be on 650k.

Last edited:
You know what mate?
I've this forever.

The (then VFL) brought in a minimum salary cap so that they could boot Fitzroy. I have little doubt about that.
But I'd really like the min and max player numbers adjusted.

Let's say you're north Melbourne. Let them have up to 55 players (or so) and being able to spread that salary cap.
Let them find out which players will fit.
Dont make them pay 1.2 mil to someone who isn't worth it. Hell, dont pay 600k to someone who isn't worth it. Just because you have to meet the minimum cap.

The draft depth would increase massively. We'd see 100 being drafted. We'd see a lot more trades too.
And it would give clubs like North a chance to sort the wheat from the chaff rather than needing to nail draft after draft to get anywhere.

Daniel shouldn't be on 650k.
In an ideal world the salary cap floor would be dropped to 80% at most preferably around 50% but the AFLPA will never let that happen.

Hell even dropping it to 90% would help a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In an ideal world the salary cap floor would be dropped to 80% at most preferably around 50% but the AFLPA will never let that happen.

Hell even dropping it to 90% would help a lot.
You can actually run at 90%.
But you need to have a higher cap the following year. i.e. 105% to keep it in balance.

It was brought in to weed out poor clubs. I'm ok with that. But they need to allow additional numbers on a list.
Someone like Geelong wouldn't be able to spread the list due to cost. But north or west coast could. Maybe even St Kilda.

See this is what i *ing hate about trade week, talking about shit that will not happen, Smith has nominated Geelong, why the * would he want to go to St Kilda, he isnt going to do that to help the dogs get a better pick
They're talking about the prospect of him being in the draft.

Similar to your point though, it's highly likely it won't happen, yet they've got to fill air-time with something.

The AFL wants their 24/7, 365 media cycle like the EPL, NBA, & NFL does. It's why they're spreading this all out, it's all about money, and keeping the sport in the front of mind.

They're not there yet, but they've got every month of the year besides December & January covered now.

They're getting damn close.

Imagine dog supporters if the saints did draft Smith with 8..It would be hilarious!
Imagine us, we let it get to that point and he ends up a Saint, and we have to watch Atkins, Bruhn, Bowes and Clark next year. We won't let it get to that point , I just don't know why all the posturing, unless there's still a chance we can land Oliver why are we waiting until the last minute to get it done?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back