Giants fans will outnumber Swans fans

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw last night that the Giants are running membership ads in the middle of My Kitchen Rules in the Sydney market, which is insane.

Does anyone who watches MKR (or other primetime TV) recall seeing an ad for this game? Would've thought the AFL would've thrown some money at it.

Olympic park is nowhere near Homebush because Olympic park is actually a totally different suburb, Homebush Bay. Two completely different suburbs

The best thing they done was leave Blacktown or really rooty hill/doonside. i dunno why there is resentment for it...Have you guys seen where they wanted to build the stadium?... there is nothing there!! it sits in between two stations. so what are visiting and even travelling home fans suppose to do after they go to a game?... just get back onto the train and the 40 minute ride into the city or the walk down the road and some gambleing at rooty hill rsl??

:D Nice one, but no.

Western Sydney begins across Homebush bay from Inner West Rhodes (Canada Bay LGA) at Wentworth Point (Auburn LGA), across Powells Creek from Inner West Concord West (canada bay) at Bicentennial Park (Auburn), across Homebush Bay Drive from Inner West North Strathfield (Canada Bay) at Sydney Olympic Park (Auburn), and across the Sydney Olympic Park rail line from Inner West Flemington (Strathfield) at Lidcombe (Auburn).

I'm referencing the LGA co-operation recognised at a Federal, State and Local Government level, which the AFL have also referenced as shown by their PR focus on the 14 LGA's of Greater Western Sydney, inclusive and all West of Auburn which is the LGA Sydney Olympic Park is loacted.

The AFL boast that Giants home ground is in Western Sydney, which is technically true. But it is closer to those Inner West areas above and many others to its east than Blacktown, Penrith, Campbelltown, etc. Let's hope

this doesn't affect the Swans. For the long-term, they shouldve really pushed for a stadium in the heart of western sydney.

PS: you end up joining the Dockers? Uni blues and reds are training down at Petersham Oval until end of cricket. Close to home, I might head down for a kick. :thumbsu:

Homebush Bay (olympic park) is technically inner west. the cut-off is usually auburn (the suburb not the council). using councils would mean homebush bay which sits inline with parts of straighfield are physically just as inner west as its counterpart but is seen as west only because of the wierd way this area is cut up). locally and to the average sydneysider Council limits are not commonly used to label the inner west/west etc (as some councils are very lop-sided) The suburb of Lidcombe is usually seen as the limits of inner west sydney.

Also i have never ever heard anyone label Bicentennial Park as park of auburn, even though its part of auburn council a local here would not say im going to auburns bicentennial park. just like newington, its never seen as part of auburn.

the best thing they done was leave Blacktown

GWS haven't left Blacktown - it's their training ground.

Have you guys seen where they wanted to build the stadium?... there is nothing there!! it sits in between two stations. so what are visiting and even travelling home fans suppose to do after they go to a game?....

Blacktown BIS is a nice boutique stadium for training etc.
They could've built a decent stadium there and put a platform next to the outer oval boundary which would have made train access very easy. They also could've built a clubhouse as well.That would've addressed your points.

But they didn't. ......

Homebush Bay (olympic park) is technically inner west. the cut-off is usually auburn (the suburb not the council). using councils would mean homebush bay which sits inline with parts of straighfield are physically just as inner west as its counterpart but is seen as west only because of the wierd way this area is cut up). locally and to the average sydneysider Council limits are not commonly used to label the inner west/west etc (as some councils are very lop-sided) The suburb of Lidcombe is usually seen as the limits of inner west sydney.

actually no. Olympic Park is in the LGA of Auburn. The LGA of Auburn is officialy part of government recognised Western Sydney Region of Councils (WSROC). So technically, it's Western Sydney, as is Lidcombe. Neighbouring Flemington is the end of the inner west.

Also i have never ever heard anyone label Bicentennial Park as park of auburn, even though its part of auburn council a local here would not say im going to auburns bicentennial park. just like newington, its never seen as part of auburn.
it's also within the LGA of Auburn. Don't confuse the boundaries of Auburn LGA (Council) with the boundaries of the suburb of Auburn.

actually no. Olympic Park is in the LGA of Auburn. The LGA of Auburn is officialy part of government recognised Western Sydney Region of Councils (WSROC). So technically, it's Western Sydney, as is Lidcombe. Neighbouring Flemington is the end of the inner west.

it's also within the LGA of Auburn. Don't confuse the boundaries of Auburn LGA (Council) with the boundaries of the suburb of Auburn.

i know about ACC as i lived in auburn for 10+ years in primary and high school. yes olympic park is part of auburns LGA, the thing is to someone here in western sydney olympic park is not commonly linked with auburn or a part of auburn,

and strathfield is technically western sydney (its located west of the harbour bridge)
in regards to the western sydney region of councils being government reconised as the boundairies of western sydney then you and the AFL are mistaken. it seems the croonies south of the border knew even less of this place than i thought.

this is a group of councils in the western half of the cumberland plain sydney, this area has no reflection of what is actually classed as western sydney. These councils have banded together to form a board of members so that it they can work more efficiently together. this cannot be reconised by the government as boundaries for western sydney as this group excludes areas that are located in the western and north western parts of sydney but includes areas that are not even part of sydneys metropolitian region, let alone considering part of the western suburbs.
are you from sydney or have lived here long. sydney is divided into many different areas. sydney has been split into areas moreso by the metros around rail lines. not bulked in with their councils.

western sydney is not usually broken up into just inner wester and west

inner west, the western , outter/greater western sydney, north west, the hills district, south western sydney.

from the councils in the board, ill agree councils like liverpool, holroyd, fairfield and bankstown are the western part of sydney but they are classed in south western sydney region,
penrith is greater western sydney as is alot of blacktowns council area, other areas in blacktown are in western sydney and another part would be north west
then the issues with hawkesbury and blue mountains. neither are really parts of sydney.(only a small section of hawlkesbury is actally part of sydney metro) so they cannot be included or see as western sydney
then the the hills council not included, which has suburbs around parramatta that technically are not part of western sydney cos of this lol.
if they have liverpool and bankstown, then how come camden and cambelltown is not included.

I'd love nothing better than to see a 40,000+ crowd on Saturday night made up mostly of GWS fans, can't see it happening though. I believe we'll be lucky to get 35,000 and most of them will be in red & white. Weather will also be a huge factor.

Bought 4 tickets today, pax number was just above 25k, not sure how accurate it is but hopefully there's a late flurry of ticket sales, there's been a heap of advertising for the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i know about ACC as i lived in auburn for 10+ years in primary and high school. yes olympic park is part of auburns LGA, the thing is to someone here in western sydney olympic park is not commonly linked with auburn or a part of auburn.
that's because Olympic Park is not within the suburb of Auburn. It's within the LGA of Auburn.

and strathfield is technically western sydney (its located west of the harbour bridge)
The Strathfield LGA is located west of the CBD, but it's not recognised by government as part of the region of 'Western Sydney'. Western Sydney as a place does not exist. It is a government defined region.

in regards to the western sydney region of councils being government reconised as the boundairies of western sydney then you and the AFL are mistaken. it seems the croonies south of the border knew even less of this place than i thought.
once again, the Western Sydney you arbitrarily consider as a place does not exist. It is a government defined region.

this is a group of councils in the western half of the cumberland plain sydney, this area has no reflection of what is actually classed as western sydney. These councils have banded together to form a board of members so that it they can work more efficiently together. this cannot be reconised by the government as boundaries for western sydney as this group excludes areas that are located in the western and north western parts of sydney but includes areas that are not even part of sydneys metropolitian region, let alone considering part of the western suburbs.
are you from sydney or have lived here long. sydney is divided into many different areas. sydney has been split into areas moreso by the metros around rail lines. not bulked in with their councils.

western sydney is not usually broken up into just inner wester and west

inner west, the western , outter/greater western sydney, north west, the hills district, south western sydney.

from the councils in the board, ill agree councils like liverpool, holroyd, fairfield and bankstown are the western part of sydney but they are classed in south western sydney region,
penrith is greater western sydney as is alot of blacktowns council area, other areas in blacktown are in western sydney and another part would be north west
then the issues with hawkesbury and blue mountains. neither are really parts of sydney.(only a small section of hawlkesbury is actally part of sydney metro) so they cannot be included or see as western sydney
then the the hills council not included, which has suburbs around parramatta that technically are not part of western sydney cos of this lol.
if they have liverpool and bankstown, then how come camden and cambelltown is not included.

i need a couple of panadols after reading the rest of that.

The Sydney Metro Area is defined as the 38 LGA's lying within the Cumberland County, including Camden LGA which partly lies outside the county. Based on the County definition, the LGA's of Wollondilly, Blue Mountains, & Hawkesbury are not considered to be within the Sydney Metro Area. There is no reference to Western Sydney.

The Western Sydney Region of Councils (WSROC) is a regional organisation with its origins in the Whitlam government. It consists of 11 LGA's - Auburn, Parramatta, Bankstown, Hills, Holroyd, Fairfield, Liverpool, Blacktown, Penrith, Blue Mountains & Hawkesbury. Yes, it includes 2 LGA's that aren't in the Cumberland County, but from an infrastructure requirement, they are members of the sub-region. This is a recognised regional organisation at Federal, State & Local level.

The Macarthur region of councils consists of Campbelltown, Camden, & Wollondilly. The 14 LGA's within WSROC and Macarthur sub-regions form the region of Greater Western Sydney.

Official regions and areas are designated by government. If this was done arbitrarily as you seem to want to, then I might as well start calling the suburb of Petersham, South Leichhardt. Based on the above info, the region of Western Sydney is considered to be the area west and inclusive of the LGA's (from North to South) of the hills, Parramatta, Auburn, Bankstown, Liverpool & Campbelltown.

I'll be a the SFS..depending on whether that is a win will determine whether I bother going out to the Olympic Stadium...I hate ANZ stadium...mid strength rubbish drinks FFS! I'll probably wait till a game GWS have some chance in and watch the GWS on TV, that said if the Tahs win, I am more likely to go to ANZ even with the stupid beer at the stadium

It's academic where the crowds come from.
As long as they come.

For the derby, yes. We want them to come from all over the metro area and outer areas of Greater Western Sydney.

For Giants matches against other clubs, they should be coming from the 14 LGA's which is Greater Western Sydney, and the AFL has specifically targeted for Giants membership. It's accepted that this will probably lead to some loss of Swans support in the strong footballing district within the Hills LGA, and other support the Swans may have in the other 13 LGA's of Greater Western Sydney.

What we don't want is Giants gaining support at the expense of the Swans from the areas east of Sydney Olympic Park not classified as Western Sydney, close to their home ground. There is AFL support in these areas and if they consider getting to Giants games easier than travelling to Moore Park and shift allegiance, then it defeats the purpose of expanding the game. It just cannibalises existing support. Olympic Park is only just within the region's classified borders. This is why the AFL shouldve invested some coin, used their effective negotiating skills with LGA, state & federal government and the currency of being the biggest professional sporting league in the country, to push for game-day facilities within the Blacktown LGA or other central area in the heart of the Western Sydney region. The benefits of new infrastructure for Western Sydney, in addition to really taking the elite game into a new region of the Metropolitan area, (playing matches at Olympic Park is not new) would've been better in the long-term for all parties.

How accurate is the figure 56 per cent of fans that bought tickets are GWS fans? What a load of rubbish the AFL are spinning, and spinning well I may add.

http://blacktown-advocate.whereiliv...p-climbing-as-the-west-embraces-team/FANATICS

■ Crowd of 40,000 expected, 28,000 tickets sold by Monday
■ 56 per cent of ticketholders are Giants fans
■ The record for largest debut club home game was 44,902 for Adelaide versus Hawthorn in 1991
■ 960 GWS online merchandise orders made, 58 per cent in NSW
■ GWS have sold 2000 member scarves, 800 jerseys and 700 member polo shirts

For the derby, yes. We want them to come from all over the metro area and outer areas of Greater Western Sydney.

For Giants matches against other clubs, they should be coming from the 14 LGA's which is Greater Western Sydney, and the AFL has specifically targeted for Giants membership. It's accepted that this will probably lead to some loss of Swans support in the strong footballing district within the Hills LGA, and other support the Swans may have in the other 13 LGA's of Greater Western Sydney.

What we don't want is Giants gaining support at the expense of the Swans from the areas east of Sydney Olympic Park not classified as Western Sydney, close to their home ground. There is AFL support in these areas and if they consider getting to Giants games easier than travelling to Moore Park and shift allegiance, then it defeats the purpose of expanding the game. It just cannibalises existing support. Olympic Park is only just within the region's classified borders. This is why the AFL shouldve invested some coin, used their effective negotiating skills with LGA, state & federal government and the currency of being the biggest professional sporting league in the country, to push for game-day facilities within the Blacktown LGA or other central area in the heart of the Western Sydney region. The benefits of new infrastructure for Western Sydney, in addition to really taking the elite game into a new region of the Metropolitan area, (playing matches at Olympic Park is not new) would've been better in the long-term for all parties.
The AFL did initially try to get a new stadium built in Blacktown. They supported the original idea of new multi-purpose stadium in the International Sportspark precinct as part of the World Cup bid. For the WC it would've had a capacity of 45k before being downsized to 25k for all four football codes to use afterwards. However the FFA (in particular Lowy) cracked the sads when the AFL wouldn't hand over Docklands and so they made the proposed Blacktown stadium for the bid rectangular to try and screw the AFL out of Western Sydney. The AFL then went to plan B which ended up being the 25k capacity Skoda Stadium in Homebush which was independent of the WC bid. In the end the AFL still got their new 25k stadium albeit in the inner west of Sydney while Lowy and Soccer screwed themselves as they missed out of a new stadium completely that would've been built even if the bid failed (which it did obviously) had they joined forces with the AFL.

I'll be a the SFS..depending on whether that is a win will determine whether I bother going out to the Olympic Stadium...I hate ANZ stadium...mid strength rubbish drinks FFS! I'll probably wait till a game GWS have some chance in and watch the GWS on TV, that said if the Tahs win, I am more likely to go to ANZ even with the stupid beer at the stadium

Thought that you only drank Vodka.

I'm a swans member and just bought my tickets. Needed 2 adults and 1 child but was cheaper to buy a family ticket for 2 adults and 2 children.
Funny thing was I couldn't get general admission tickets if I put down that I was red (swans supporter), so I put in orange (GWS supporter) and was able to buy the cheaper GA tickets. I'll still meet up with my swans mates and find some seats together if possible.

Pax # was 28960

I'm a swans member and just bought my tickets. Needed 2 adults and 1 child but was cheaper to buy a family ticket for 2 adults and 2 children.
Funny thing was I couldn't get general admission tickets if I put down that I was red (swans supporter), so I put in orange (GWS supporter) and was able to buy the cheaper GA tickets. I'll still meet up with my swans mates and find some seats together if possible.

Pax # was 28960

What? So they're discriminating against Swans fans with ticket prices? You sure it isnt a case of the cheaper tix in Swans allocated areas being exhausted?

If it's the former, then are the AFL they trying to kill off the Swans in preference of the Giants? They're already heading down that path with the home ground venue at the Showgrounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Giants fans will outnumber Swans fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back