Giants fans will outnumber Swans fans

Remove this Banner Ad

I was intending on doing that exact thing (I can't now due to something independent of the games so I'm just going to the Swans now). I think it would be perfectly possible. Train would take like 25 mins from Central to Homebush. Rugby finishes at around 5.30, so either walk back to Central or get the free bus and you'll have plenty of time to hop on a train and get out to ANZ.

You'll have a bit of a walk from Homebush. Stadium isnt even located within the suburb. You'll be better off going to Olympic Park.

Even if they only get 40K...it is still more than the 3 league games and that will be notes as a success. The interesting one will be the GWS home games where Sydney is not involved, they could look really bad on TV. The derbys should get 40K plus

The highest NRL crowd in Sydney so far this season is less than 30,000. Getting 40K would definitely be a success.

Well I've paid through the nose for our group of 8. So talk of freebies gets me riled!

Astounded to think 40k is a chance. Fingers crossed though. And I hope there's plent of Giants fans/"sympathisers" there to give the Swannies some stick. I'd love a bit of by-play. :thumbsu:

To put 40k into perspective: that will very likely be the largest first home game crowd in NSW sporting history.

I just hope no one at AFL HQ gets too excited by this and declares "Victory" a la George Bush in 2001 in Iraq. :D

Surely 40k will be a disappointment to the AFL. Given the promotion for the game, the one off nature of it, it could be argued that this crowd represents the grand total of interest in the game in Sydney.
If there are 40k and there are more GWS fans than swans fans this would be of grave concern for where the swans are at in terms of support.
Seriously, when this game was announced I assumed it would attract close to capacity.
I will be there as I think one of the attractions will be to see what will potentially be the worst club team ever to be fielded in a football code.

Surely 40k will be a disappointment to the AFL. Given the promotion for the game, the one off nature of it, it could be argued that this crowd represents the grand total of interest in the game in Sydney.
If there are 40k and there are more GWS fans than swans fans this would be of grave concern for where the swans are at in terms of support.
Seriously, when this game was announced I assumed it would attract close to capacity.
I will be there as I think one of the attractions will be to see what will potentially be the worst club team ever to be fielded in a football code.

What? The average Sydney NRL crowd is about 15k, and that includes Sydney v Sydney games. Plus it's supposed to be RL heartland!

How is a crowd of 40k for a new team, who is expected to get smashed, a disappointment? Especially when the best debut teams crowd is 44k!

Surveymonkey were giving away free tickets to the game.

Yeah, they gave away 40,000 tickets :rolleyes:

Once again a nothing statement amid good posting...

FWIW

It was only a few as a promotion

Every code gives away free tickets to sponsors and co for every game, it is a way for thanking them for sponsoring...

The highest NRL crowd in Sydney so far this season is less than 30,000. Getting 40K would definitely be a success.
I checked last years as well. 35k was the highest for a Sydney crowd.

I'd say you couldn't be more wrong. 40k would be a massive figure. since 44k is the highest debut game, 40k would be higher than both Fremantle's first game and first Derby. Higher than Port adelaide's first home game, first showdown was 47k. and they are both in AFL states as opposed to the NRL stranglehold in Sydney.

Gman said:
Yeah, they gave away 40,000 tickets :rolleyes:

Did I say there was? No, but there were free tickets available to the game. I even promoted this on LU in the hope some people might take advantage of the offer and get along to the game and try it out.

Handing out freebies isn't stupid or bad, it's smart in an area where the game is being expanded.

Gman said:
Once again a nothing statement amid good posting...

LoL

It was in direct reply to a poster who didn't think freebies had been offered to inflate the crowd figure.

It's interesting how people like JS here simultaneously argue that no one is interested but what will probably be the highest attended match of any code will be a disappointment.

teh NRL's 'Battle of the West' game they deliberately scheduled for this round to stymie GWS debut was on tonight. Two sides from the west, with big followings going head to head.....They really pushed it with promotion etc..even ran the NRL Footy Show from out there on Thursday to promote it....to show those Australian football w***ers who 'owns the west' and the that the 'west is the heartland'. Prime time Friday Night football too.. so all set for a HUUUUGGGEE crowd to embarass the AFL.

and it drew 13,000.

teh NRL's 'Battle of the West' game they deliberately scheduled for this round to stymie GWS debut was on tonight. Two sides from the west, with big followings going head to head.....They really pushed it with promotion etc..even ran the NRL Footy Show from out there on Thursday to promote it....to show those Australian football w***ers who 'owns the west' and the that the 'west is the heartland'. Prime time Friday Night football too.. so all set for a HUUUUGGGEE crowd to embarass the AFL.

All the muppets over at LU will be about to slit their wrists about now.

The NRL crowds have been very ordinary so far this season and when a "blockbuster" in the so called heartland can only pull 13,000 on a friday night they are in trouble.

GWS once they settle down in a few years will do OK and easily match the local thugby crowds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree - weather will be perfect, not a cloud in the sky today, mid twenties. Will be comfortable for the game as well.

If they get anything over 40K, that would be a decent result I would think. In saying that, I wonder how many freebies have been given out by the Giants.

and it drew 13,000.

Pretty sure they can only fit in 20,000 out at Parramatta, so they were never going to be able to rival what this game will pull in.

Just a quick question for someone that uses the train network...how long does it take from the city to the ground, just working out whether it is possible to go or not after the rugby.

check out this website

http://www.131500.com.au

You just type in the start of your destination (Central, town hall etc) and your final destination (olympic park), and what time you want to get there. it will then give you afew different ways to get to that destination on time.
It really good cos it also tells you what platform you need to get on to catch the train.

... If they get anything over 40K, that would be a decent result I would think. In saying that, I wonder how many freebies have been given out by the Giants.
Probably less than the seemingly endless supply of free Storm game tickets handed out all day, every day by radio SEN to their callers.
Pretty sure they can only fit in 20,000 out at Parramatta, so they were never going to be able to rival what this game will pull in.
They ony got 13,000. If the capacity was 50,000, it would make no differrence - apart from 30,000 more empty seats.
... All the muppets over at LU will be about to slit their wrists about now...
Have they what?? :eek: For all the LUTZ, check this out and the next couple of pages - and particularly the 'contribution' by the MOD (no wonder the bar is set so low there). Believe it or not, this is on their main board, not a Bay13 equivalent.

Enjoy - http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=398007&page=59

According GWS CEO Matthews the giants expect to have a crowd average for the year of between 15,000 - 17,000 which would be better then what most NRL teams get over the course of a season.

I want GWS to succeed as well but i think their ambition is a bit high if they hope to average 15,000 this season.

GWS are going to be terrible in the first few seasons so people need to look at the crowd figures for the Swans in the early 90's (when we were also terrible) and just hope GWS beat that.

Probably less than the seemingly endless supply of free Storm game tickets handed out all day, every day by radio SEN to their callers.
They ony got 13,000. If the capacity was 50,000, it would make no differrence - apart from 30,000 more empty seats.
Have they what?? :eek: For all the LUTZ, check this out and the next couple of pages - and particularly the 'contribution' by the MOD (no wonder the bar is set so low there). Believe it or not, this is on their main board, not a Bay13 equivalent.

Enjoy - http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=398007&page=59

Heh, first post I read when I clicked that link

"What is the f**kin wrong with Rugby League fans in the west as you got the so-called battle of the bridge shite with the GWS v Swans breathing down your neck and you can only get 13000 for the so-called battle of the west derby.
Kevin Seedy and Andrew Demented must be laughing in Champagne"

So, so good :D

I also enjoy the moderators telling everyone to STFU and **** off constantly to any dissenting posts, reminds me of Dockerland a little.

Reminds me of the Indian Cricket forums without the racial abuse.

Mate to be fair those two teams got both came off massive floggings, Parramatta have not won a game this year, penrith 1 game. You are correct it was shown live on channel 9 as you mentioned. you were incorrect about how the NRL showed this game on tv to 'stymie' the gws game. the nrl is shown live every friday night. If it was scheduled for saturaday night i would agree with you but its on the night before. due to AFL using anz stadium, penrith vs parramatta is the the only game in this round that could be played on friday to meet the NSW timeslot live game. The footy show goes to panthers around this time every year and these two play around this time too. "them pushing it promotion"? The only promotion i seen was from usual channel 9 tv advertising it always does leading to their Friday night fixtures. Im not too sure but it sounds like you have misunderstood there phrase 'battle of the west' to mean the NRL's attempt to fight GWS and the AFL, the phrase 'battle of the west' has been used for these two teams for many years.

All the muppets over at LU will be about to slit their wrists about now.

The NRL crowds have been very ordinary so far this season and when a "blockbuster" in the so called heartland can only pull 13,000 on a friday night they are in trouble.

GWS once they settle down in a few years will do OK and easily match the local thugby crowds.

Not a blockbuster
NRL crowds have actually been very healthy this year but not as strong as what afl's will. NSW has had some of the highest rainfall in history and this has effected some games.
The gws once settled should do ok too. but lets not get too optimistic / arrogant about their situation. The sooner ppl down south realise that AFL here in sydney is always going to be 3rd or 4th and not try get brownie points from each newspaper article or so called facts that may say otherwise the better. comments like yours 'thugby' league doesnt help GWS's situation here in sydney, as forums media reach is as great as any newspaper.
GWS will be a respected sydney ''football'' team and i look forward to supporting them along with my wests tigers.

Mate to be fair those two teams got both came off massive floggings, Parramatta have not won a game this year, penrith 1 game. You are correct it was shown live on channel 9 as you mentioned. you were incorrect about how the NRL showed this game on tv to 'stymie' the gws game. the nrl is shown live every friday night. If it was scheduled for saturaday night i would agree with you but its on the night before. due to AFL using anz stadium, penrith vs parramatta is the the only game in this round that could be played on friday to meet the NSW timeslot live game. The footy show goes to panthers around this time every year and these two play around this time too. "them pushing it promotion"? The only promotion i seen was from usual channel 9 tv advertising it always does leading to their Friday night fixtures. Im not too sure but it sounds like you have misunderstood there phrase 'battle of the west' to mean the NRL's attempt to fight GWS and the AFL, the phrase 'battle of the west' has been used for these two teams for many years.

Not a blockbuster
NRL crowds have actually been very healthy this year but not as strong as what afl's will. NSW has had some of the highest rainfall in history and this has effected some games.
The gws once settled should do ok too. but lets not get too optimistic / arrogant about their situation. The sooner ppl down south realise that AFL here in sydney is always going to be 3rd or 4th and not try get brownie points from each newspaper article or so called facts that may say otherwise the better. comments like yours 'thugby' league doesnt help GWS's situation here in sydney, as forums media reach is as great as any newspaper.
GWS will be a respected sydney ''football'' team and i look forward to supporting them along with my wests tigers.

NRL crowds are 4% down on last year and 10% down on 2008.

They have had some disgraceful turnouts and have only been saved from an even more embarrasing average in the low teens by the warriors and the broncos who are single city teams.

I want GWS to succeed as well but i think their ambition is a bit high if they hope to average 15,000 this season.

GWS are going to be terrible in the first few seasons so people need to look at the crowd figures for the Swans in the early 90's (when we were also terrible) and just hope GWS beat that.

I actually expect pretty good crowds this year but a likely drop off next year. So this year around the 15,000-17,000 on average but a likely dip in numbers next year so around the 12,000 -14,000 for 2013 and for it to stay around that number until GWS comes a serious team.

As for this year GWS will get 40,000+ tonight, and will sell out all there games in canberra and blacktown. And will get excellent crowds when it plays the pies and when it opens Skoda Stadium against the bombers, and for other games they should get solid numbers so in all likelyhood will get between 15,000-17,000 for this year the challenge for GWS is to keep and grow those numbers over the years to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Giants fans will outnumber Swans fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back