News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 2070661

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Had a feeling we'd be Sunday arvo based on last years round 24 scheduling and that looks to be verified.

Those in finals contention/final top 8 ladder make up will be preferenced for Sunday.

Huge Sunday in round 24 incoming.

Had a feeling we'd be Sunday arvo based on last years round 24 scheduling and that looks to be verified.

Those in finals contention/final top 8 ladder make up will be preferenced for Sunday.

Huge Sunday in round 24 incoming.
Maximises our recovery time from round 23, it could be win we are 4th, lose are 9th.
Certain to be an important game.

Last edited:

Maximises our recovery time from round 23, it could be win we are 4th, lose are 9th.
Certain to be an important game.
Could be second no matter what too. That's what I m hoping for :)

Sunday session with punch: Dogs, Giants tipped to launch frenetic final day of round 24

The AFL’s decision to delay the round 24 fixture announcement looks set to pay dividends with the final Sunday of the season to be stacked with matches that are bound to decide final eight finishing positions.

Two industry sources confirmed that the Bulldogs are expected to kick-start the final day of the home and away season against GWS Giants in Ballarat. The fierce rivals needed to meet in daylight because of the venue, which suited the AFL as both are in strong contention for a finals spot.

Carlton are expected to then play St Kilda at Marvel Stadium in a match that could determine whether the Blues return to the finals for the second season in a row or lob in the top four spot they have been focused on winning all season. The Blues sit eighth and need to beat Hawthorn this Sunday to remain a realistic top four chance.

The season would then end with all eyes on the clash between Fremantle and Port Adelaide at Optus Stadium according to two industry sources. Both teams are expected to be vulnerable to losing a top four spot, a home final or a finals spot as they play their last game with many ladder spots hanging on the result.

The pre-finals bye allows this fixture as Port Adelaide would not be disadvantaged by playing outside South Australia in the final home and away match.

Melbourne are expected to open the round with a Friday night clash against traditional rivals Collingwood. Both are longshots to be in finals calculations by then, but the Magpies could need a win to keep any hopes alive.

Geelong are almost certain to play West Coast on Saturday according to one industry source. The Cats would prefer the twilight or nighttime slot rather than a clash with local football and with the Eagles’ season ending they will be in no rush to return home.

Hawthorn would open Saturday with their clash against North Melbourne at Launceston in a match that could, at least temporarily, launch the Hawks in the top eight and hoping to hang on for the weekend.

The non-finals relevant match between Richmond and Gold Coast shapes as a twilight fixture to celebrate retiring great Dustin Martin’s career while the Brisbane Lions host Essendon at the Gabba and Sydney host Adelaide at the SCG on Saturday night.

The heart-stopping conclusion has become a feature in recent times with live ladders, close finishes and a tightly packed ladder keeping supporters on the edge of their seats until the final siren in the final match of the year.

This season has been one of the tightest in memory with just 10 premiership points separating the Sydney Swans in top spot and Essendon in ninth spot.

The AFL will announce the timeslots on Wednesday with details still being finalised on Tuesday evening.

Potential round 24

Friday August 23

• Melbourne v Collingwood, MCG
Saturday August 24
  • Hawthorn v North Melbourne, Launceston
  • Richmond v Gold Coast, MCG
  • Geelong v West Coast, GMHBA Stadium
  • Brisbane Lions v Essendon, Gabba
  • Sydney v Adelaide, SCG

Sunday August 25
  • Western Bulldogs v GWS, Ballarat
  • Carlton v St Kilda, Marvel Stadium
  • Fremantle v Port Adelaide, Optus Stadium

Seems like every Tom Green is a gun at sport!

Some interesting statistics in this story, which indicates a great deal of credit to the inside 50 kickers who have targeted (and found) Jesse, as well as Jesse himself for that level of accuracy.

THE SUNDAY twilight game in round 23 could be the one that tips the Coleman Medal race in Charlie Curnow's favour.

How Curnow is used by the Blues in the run home compared to Hogan will also play a key role in which player finishes the season on top.

Over the past six weeks during Hogan's stunning run of form, Curnow has had the same number of shots on goal (28) and been targeted going forward (50 times) as often as Hogan (28 shots on goal, 51 times targeted).

The main difference between the pair has been accuracy in front of goal, and where on the ground the shots have been taken. Hogan has kicked a remarkable 24.3 in his past six weeks, with all but three of his shots on goal coming in the middle third of the forward 50, directly in front. In contrast, Curnow has had nine shots from the pockets and another seven from outside 50 for a return of 13.12.

Some interesting statistics in this story, which indicates a great deal of credit to the inside 50 kickers who have targeted (and found) Jesse, as well as Jesse himself for that level of accuracy.

THE SUNDAY twilight game in round 23 could be the one that tips the Coleman Medal race in Charlie Curnow's favour.

How Curnow is used by the Blues in the run home compared to Hogan will also play a key role in which player finishes the season on top.

Over the past six weeks during Hogan's stunning run of form, Curnow has had the same number of shots on goal (28) and been targeted going forward (50 times) as often as Hogan (28 shots on goal, 51 times targeted).

The main difference between the pair has been accuracy in front of goal, and where on the ground the shots have been taken. Hogan has kicked a remarkable 24.3 in his past six weeks, with all but three of his shots on goal coming in the middle third of the forward 50, directly in front. In contrast, Curnow has had nine shots from the pockets and another seven from outside 50 for a return of 13.12.
I (obviously!) hope Jesse gets the Coleman. Whilst it would be great for our club to have only it’s second ever Coleman, for Jesse it would be sweet reward and vindication after all his turmoils and challenges in Melbourne and Fremantle.

5) If the Giants break even around the contest, look out

Waltzing away from the Gabba with four premiership points underlined the Giants as a serious flag contender and they had to call on every part of their game to win. After being punished in the first quarter around the contest and at stoppages, Adam Kingsley's team got to work for the final three quarters, demonstrating a ferocity to win the ball - and to win it back - that can take them a long way. Once getting their fair share of possession, the Giants' running power was overwhelming, with young star Darcy Jones and veteran Lachie Whitfield particularly influential with the game in the balance. With their supreme fitness and growing confidence, no lead – and no team – is safe from the Orange Tsunami. – Michael Whiting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL in Sydney was once a ‘pointless exercise’. Now its two clubs could contest grand final

By Malcolm Conn

August 14, 2024 — 5.00am

In his darkest moments, inaugural Sydney Swans coach Ricky Quade wondered if bringing VFL/AFL to Sin City was a waste of time.

Kevin Sheedy, who in 2012 became the first man to take the reins at the newly formed GWS Giants, still laughs at being told by rugby league types that an AFL team in Sydney’s western suburbs had to be a “hoax”.

Now, the Sydney clubs sit first and third on the AFL ladder with two regular season games remaining – and could both end up hosting finals in the Harbour City next month.

Indeed, those excited about the march of AFL in Sydney could easily draw their bow far enough to highlight how the Swans and Giants could play finals at home until meeting in the grand final at the MCG.

While the Swans have two winnable games coming up – against Essendon on Friday night in Melbourne and the Adelaide Crows at the SCG the following Saturday – the Giants have a tougher run into the finals, playing Fremantle (6th place) at home and the Bulldogs (7th) away. Still, if they win both games and second-placed Port Adelaide lose to the Dockers in Perth in their last game, the Swans and Giants will finish one and two.

Both teams would then host home finals. Victory would give them a week off before hosting preliminary finals. One more victory would send both to the grand final at the MCG.

“It’s a fantastic achievement,” said Sheedy, the former super coach and one of the great AFL missionaries, who is heading to Cairns on Wednesday to view an indigenous AFL house.

“The investment over the last decade in NSW, and the previous 30 years with the Swans, has been incredible. North of the Murray, I think we’re getting into a better, stronger position with our game.”

While the Swans have become firmly established in Sydney over the past four decades and average almost 40,000 fans a game at the SCG this season, the Giants are still struggling for visibility well into their 13th season – despite eyeing a seventh finals campaign.

Sheedy coached the Giants in 2012 and 2013 when a new club full of raw but talented kids augmented by a smattering of veterans won a total of just three games. The Giants developed quickly after that, but Sheedy continues to preach a long-term view of the club.

“The Giants’ performance is quite remarkable,” Sheedy told this masthead. “I remember going into western Sydney and being told, ‘This is an AFL hoax. How long do you reckon it’ll take anybody out in western Sydney to like the Giants?’
“I said, ‘Well, how long did it take for anybody in Australia to like the Opera House? Now, the whole world comes to have a photo with it.’

“They looked at me as if I was a person from another planet when I answered them back with that. It was 40 years before everybody said, ‘Actually this isn’t a bad work of architecture here.’”

In 1982, Quade was handed the reins of a divided and broke South Melbourne club, which was being sent to Sydney by the then VFL more out of desperation than innovation. He is amazed that Sydney once again has two teams heading into the AFL finals.

“It’s pretty surreal really to think that’s happening now given we got off to such a shaky start with very little support,” he said. “I must admit, I had times when I thought, ‘Maybe this was a pointless exercise’.

“But we were very fortunate at the time. Even right from the beginning, we had a tremendously loyal and committed playing group led by Barry Round and Mark Browning. If we didn’t have that...

“A lot of the better players were offered a lot of money to go elsewhere, but stuck to what they committed to do before we moved up here, and it was an enormous move, to shift 30 players and their families, to find accommodation and employment for them. It was huge task.”

Contrast the situation 40 years ago with the scene last Friday night, when a near full SCG cheered a comeback for the ages as the Swans halted their slump with a stirring victory over Collingwood.

“I was sitting with some past players out in the public area, and to see the joy and how happy the members and the fans were was just was absolutely fantastic,” Quade says. “It was such a good feeling.”

AFL in Sydney was once a ‘pointless exercise’. Now its two clubs could contest grand final

By Malcolm Conn

August 14, 2024 — 5.00am

In his darkest moments, inaugural Sydney Swans coach Ricky Quade wondered if bringing VFL/AFL to Sin City was a waste of time.

Kevin Sheedy, who in 2012 became the first man to take the reins at the newly formed GWS Giants, still laughs at being told by rugby league types that an AFL team in Sydney’s western suburbs had to be a “hoax”.

Now, the Sydney clubs sit first and third on the AFL ladder with two regular season games remaining – and could both end up hosting finals in the Harbour City next month.

Indeed, those excited about the march of AFL in Sydney could easily draw their bow far enough to highlight how the Swans and Giants could play finals at home until meeting in the grand final at the MCG.

While the Swans have two winnable games coming up – against Essendon on Friday night in Melbourne and the Adelaide Crows at the SCG the following Saturday – the Giants have a tougher run into the finals, playing Fremantle (6th place) at home and the Bulldogs (7th) away. Still, if they win both games and second-placed Port Adelaide lose to the Dockers in Perth in their last game, the Swans and Giants will finish one and two.

Both teams would then host home finals. Victory would give them a week off before hosting preliminary finals. One more victory would send both to the grand final at the MCG.

“It’s a fantastic achievement,” said Sheedy, the former super coach and one of the great AFL missionaries, who is heading to Cairns on Wednesday to view an indigenous AFL house.

“The investment over the last decade in NSW, and the previous 30 years with the Swans, has been incredible. North of the Murray, I think we’re getting into a better, stronger position with our game.”

While the Swans have become firmly established in Sydney over the past four decades and average almost 40,000 fans a game at the SCG this season, the Giants are still struggling for visibility well into their 13th season – despite eyeing a seventh finals campaign.

Sheedy coached the Giants in 2012 and 2013 when a new club full of raw but talented kids augmented by a smattering of veterans won a total of just three games. The Giants developed quickly after that, but Sheedy continues to preach a long-term view of the club.

“The Giants’ performance is quite remarkable,” Sheedy told this masthead. “I remember going into western Sydney and being told, ‘This is an AFL hoax. How long do you reckon it’ll take anybody out in western Sydney to like the Giants?’
“I said, ‘Well, how long did it take for anybody in Australia to like the Opera House? Now, the whole world comes to have a photo with it.’

“They looked at me as if I was a person from another planet when I answered them back with that. It was 40 years before everybody said, ‘Actually this isn’t a bad work of architecture here.’”

In 1982, Quade was handed the reins of a divided and broke South Melbourne club, which was being sent to Sydney by the then VFL more out of desperation than innovation. He is amazed that Sydney once again has two teams heading into the AFL finals.

“It’s pretty surreal really to think that’s happening now given we got off to such a shaky start with very little support,” he said. “I must admit, I had times when I thought, ‘Maybe this was a pointless exercise’.

“But we were very fortunate at the time. Even right from the beginning, we had a tremendously loyal and committed playing group led by Barry Round and Mark Browning. If we didn’t have that...

“A lot of the better players were offered a lot of money to go elsewhere, but stuck to what they committed to do before we moved up here, and it was an enormous move, to shift 30 players and their families, to find accommodation and employment for them. It was huge task.”

Contrast the situation 40 years ago with the scene last Friday night, when a near full SCG cheered a comeback for the ages as the Swans halted their slump with a stirring victory over Collingwood.

“I was sitting with some past players out in the public area, and to see the joy and how happy the members and the fans were was just was absolutely fantastic,” Quade says. “It was such a good feeling.”

It should have happened in 2016. But the VFL had other ideas..

Last edited:
very oversimplified analysis. The expected score metric is flawed.
If you miss a shot, you are an increased chance of getting a second shot via a kick out as opposed to a centre bounce.
We have been very accurate, but we are also taking good shots because we are setting up deep entries.
We are also making the opposition take tough shots because we defend deep entries well.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back