Toast Giants Social Media - Best in the Business.

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see some negativity on Twitter / X regarding the Social Media team and the lack of 'clever' memes after last night.

It is to be expected after a loss, but I also noted on the Sunday Footy Show recently when there was a brief discussion about the Giants' SM output as a bit smart-ar*ey and the need to pull back.

Again, the SM team has to be very careful with the Giants in such poor form. Leave the players alone on game day (didn't happen yesterday) and stop giving fodder to the opposition.

My love / hate for the Giants' SM team continues.

Interesting to see some negativity on Twitter / X regarding the Social Media team and the lack of 'clever' memes after last night.

It is to be expected after a loss, but I also noted on the Sunday Footy Show recently when there was a brief discussion about the Giants' SM output as a bit smart-ar*ey and the need to pull back.

Again, the SM team has to be very careful with the Giants in such poor form. Leave the players alone on game day (didn't happen yesterday) and stop giving fodder to the opposition.

My love / hate for the Giants' SM team continues.
If our players aren’t professional enough to play while the social media do the job they need to do then we have bigger issues as a club than we realise.

I couldn’t give two shits what VFL media think about our efforts up here.

Normally I take vicafl media with a grain of salt, but in this case, I do have a bit of a concern considering the reverse effect the SM stuff is having.

All good when you're winning. Underperforming and all aspects of the club need scrutiny.

Good chat Colonial, as usual 👏

Normally I take vicafl media with a grain of salt, but in this case, I do have a bit of a concern considering the reverse effect the SM stuff is having.
What effect? It has had nothing to do with the players efforts. Social media has nothing to do with game plans, fitness, players efforts. Is an easy hit for media to have a sook as it’s not the traditional way of doing things.
All good when you're winning. Underperforming and all aspects of the club need scrutiny.
As said, SM has zero to do with onfield product.
Good chat Colonial, as usual 👏
👍

The social media fan engagement is our club’s single biggest win for 2024.

It helps build the club’s influence both locally and nationally, and demonstrates we have a sense of humour (ie, we’re not a humourless VFL team - and that includes South in their bizarrely promoted ‘anniversary’ year).

Zero impact on our on-field footy performance, other than it’s generally a positive for club morale and gives us a media platform and a voice that isn’t intermediated by the bought media in VFL company town.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Good on our media team for their rapid response to Heeney’s post. Seems that it has got the attention of the wider media. I also do think that Cornes has a point though about the Swans’s original post.

“In the gun is Isaac Heeney for this rubbish he posted online,” Cornes said on SEN Breakfast.

“Isaac, you haven’t done your knee, you haven’t missed a shot on goal, after the siren in a grand final, that hasn’t happened, you’re just suspended for a week,” Cornes said.

“We don’t need to thank the community; we don’t need the statement that you’re going to return bigger and better than ever.

“I wouldn’t be thanking the legal representation either, I’d be giving them feedback and it wouldn’t be thanks,” North Melbourne champion and Fox Footy expert David King added.

“Ask for your money back,” Cornes replied.

Even got on news.com.au which is difficult for AFL news to get a look in at times.

*Also remember on these sites to click on any giants links multiple times. From what I'm aware, it doesn't matter if it comes from the one phone, it registers every time the link is opened and that's how media decides what to post in the future via their algorithms.

Good reminder.

Also, any theage.com.au (Melbourne) articles about the Giants/Footy in NSW or Sydney should have the link changed to the Sydney Morning Herald smh.com.au, the remainder of the link is exactly the same.

As a general rule, if I click on an age.com.au article about footy I always just change the 6 letters from theage to smh and it works every time. Same goes for sharing any links here within our board, I always ensure it's the smh version and not the theage version.

Not changing it I think causes an underreporting for us here in Sydney/NSW. Not sure if they geolocate the links at all.

The more SMH articles that are clicked, the more clicks that are registered with possibly more footy reporting in future. AFL currently ranks 5th on the SMH website under sport, if we can move that up a notch that would be great.

AFL has now been pushed out to 6th and no longer on the front banner of the sports page because the Paris Olympics have pushed it out under 'more', requiring a couple extra clicks. Minor but thought it is of note.

1720838541139.png

Last edited:
I liked this article regarding Tom Harley's reaction to Tobes' video.

Dear Sydney: please get over yourselves​

Sydney CEO Tom Harley’s blunt, peevish response on SEN to the famous GWS send-up of Isaac Heeney’s much-maligned social media video reaction to his one-match ban confirmed two things.

One, that the Giants’ famously antagonistic social media department had seen its barb land exactly where they wanted – and won them even more followers in the process. And two, that Sydney desperately need to, in the words of Jason Dunstall on Fox Footy on Saturday night, ‘get over themselves’.

That extends to the Heeney video: a more cringe 60 seconds you’ll rarely witness on the Internet, the Swans star treating his one-match (yes, one-match) ban with all the gravity of a serious knee injury or positive doping test. There was also not a single admission of wrongdoing or of taking the punishment on the chin: he was ‘shattered’ about the outcome, but didn’t mention Jimmy Webster, the bloke he hit and left bloodied.

Did he need to do that? Absolutely not – but nor did he or the Swans need to put anything out from Heeney in the first place. That first video was one thing, and certainly not worth any more scorn other than a chuckle or two with the Swans at the butt of the joke: but when it was quickly and perfectly sent up by the Giants, the correct response for Harley, or indeed anyone at Sydney, was to either laugh it off or play a straight bat and say they don’t really worry about what other clubs are doing.

All revealing that it pissed them off – and Harley’s description of the Giants’ Toby Greene video as ‘low-brow’ tells you all you need to know about that – does is ensure their crosstown rivals will bring it up for ever more, and countless other things besides. What’s the one thing ever older sibling learns when dealing with an annoying younger brother or sister? All reacting to their stunts does is encourage them.

The worst part about what Harley said, though, was his apparent insinuation that Heeney, by virtue of being a very good player (not, as Harley claimed, a ‘champion’, though) should be immune from being made fun of. It reeks of the same mentality that made the Swans think posting that Heeney video to their socials as if the end of days had arrived: one of hilariously misreading the room and possessing an over-inflated sense of your own value.

The AFL is, at its heart, an entertainment business; what GWS did provided that in spades.

Toast Giants Social Media - Best in the Business.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back