Gieschen: Blair decision correct, Judd threw the ball!

Remove this Banner Ad

So, the umpire needs to umpire in the spirit of the game? But if the technical free is more apparent than reflecting on all that transpired in a contest and then having to determine if it was in the spirit of the game ............. which is easier to rule on in an instant?
I gather then that you are happy to have the level of precision and technicality applied to the Blair free kick applied to all free kicks paid in a game?

I see them every week. They tend not to bother me because they go both ways.
That's not what I asked. Would you like that level of technicality applied to all free kicks? I certainly wouldn't.

It's ridiculous that the umpires can let technical free kicks go all the time and then suddenly pull one like this out of their arse. And in front of goal no less.

No wonder fans get frustrated and confused by the umpiring. And the head in the sand attitude of the AFL just makes the situation worse.

Either pay overtly technical free kicks like that all the time (and have God knows how many free kicks a game) or don't pay them at all. Don't make it a lottery.

From a Carlton supporter's point of view, I don't care about the decision. We got a goal out of a crap decision ourselves and weren't the better side on the night anyway. But I find it frustrating as a supporter of the game.

Then change the rule. Its the rule, not the umpires nor their advisor.

chaostanseriouseao3.jpg

No, it's the interpretation/application of the rule by the umpire at the time.

Any number of other rules don't have free kicks paid for every instance they are broken. Look at what passes as disposal by hand for example. The umpires only pay the free in the more blatant cases. It happens all the time.

There was nothing stopping the umpire doing the same thing in the Blair situation.

If you read the rule book, most of the rules regarding holding the ball, push in the back, arm chopping, etc. are all open to interpretation. If they are not, then we already have a game that is a non contact sport.
If there is no interpretation, explain why this isnt a free kick the other 99 times it happens of a round.
JR was penalised because Blair is a midget

It's ridiculous that the umpires can let technical free kicks go all the time and then suddenly pull one like this out of their arse. And in front of goal no less.

Agree, didn't make much of a difference last Friday night but if it was a crucial goal in a tight game there'd be a massive uproar. It's been said a million times that all we as supporters and the players themselves want from the umpires is consistency. Wanna call that a free against Russell? Fine, but make the same call everytime. Too many decisions made at the toss of a coin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, didn't make much of a difference last Friday night but if it was a crucial goal in a tight game there'd be a massive uproar. It's been said a million times that all we as supporters and the players themselves want from the umpires is consistency. Wanna call that a free against Russell? Fine, but make the same call everytime. Too many decisions made at the toss of a coin.

Brownlow Judd your making too much sense lately, you have changed man..

That's not what I asked. Would you like that level of technicality applied to all free kicks? I certainly wouldn't.

No wonder fans get frustrated and confused by the umpiring. And the head in the sand attitude of the AFL just makes the situation worse.

Either pay overtly technical free kicks like that all the time (and have God knows how many free kicks a game) or don't pay them at all. Don't make it a lottery.

From a Carlton supporter's point of view, I don't care about the decision. We got a goal out of a crap decision ourselves and weren't the better side on the night anyway. But I find it frustrating as a supporter of the game.

Umpires will always try an umpire to the letter of the law as they see it. If you dont like the letter of the law, seek to change it or accept you will be frustrated and that it generally balances out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back