News Gillon McLachlan - appointed CEO of Tabcorp

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah, a man of integrity.

Totally unsurprising – the sport is completely overrun by betting agencies, so it's a natural progression for Gill.

Ah, a man of integrity.

Totally unsurprising – the sport is completely overrun by betting agencies, so it's a natural progression for Gil.
Oh 100%. It’s such a shame, every second ad on TV especially in primetime viewing when kids are watching - with only the tiniest disclaimer at the end.

Heard kids behind me about 15 years old or so talking about odds for anytime goal scorers. Couldn’t believe what I was hearing sadly

Oh 100%. It’s such a shame, every second ad on TV especially in primetime viewing when kids are watching - with only the tiniest disclaimer at the end.

Heard kids behind me about 15 years old or so talking about odds for anytime goal scorers. Couldn’t believe what I was hearing sadly
Quite incredible that it's the clubs that are having to take the lead on this (i.e. withdrawing from pokies, Love the Game, Not the Odds campaigns etc), but then the AFL completely saturate their own broadcasts and venues with gambling advertisements.

For an organisation that makes such a big deal about being socially responsible, they're so, so far behind with this. All about money at the end of the day.

So when he was AFL CEO, gambling ads were all over game telecasts, all over radio broadcasts, all over the scoreboards at venues, all over the loudspeakers at venues and all over signage at venues.
Now he works for them….
Clearly employee of the year.

Start'em young, eh? Sad. And its only going to get deeper. I fear that kids as young as 10 would talk about odds,spreads, parlays etc...

Like its bad enough that adults have problems at the age of 30 but kids having it, its disgusting.

Start'em young, eh? Sad. And its only going to get deeper. I fear that kids as young as 10 would talk about odds,spreads, parlays etc...

Like its bad enough that adults have problems at the age of 30 but kids having it, its disgusting.
I saw this in the pub the other day. Since when did Australia start using the term parlay.

Also Gil can get stuffed. Never thought much of him. Certainly not the kind of bloke I'd have a beer with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demetriou to Crown
McLachlan to Tabcorp

Whilst they are entitled to do what they want, former AFL executives getting involved in gambling is hardly a great look.

When perception become reality. Its now OK to match fix because the AFL and its associated executives are all tied with betting agencies. There is no shame until someone gets caught, then subsequently scapegoated. What a farce.
I don’t want to believe, but more and more I’m starting to feel like this is true.

Yep. It’s so sad. One of my closest mates, turns 21 in November this year and is already registered on the BetStop registry after talking to his folks about it last year when it became that big of a problem. Glad at least that he spoke about it, because there’s plenty who won’t before it spirals out of control.

Not an overly large departure from his decision making while at the AFL.

At least he doesn’t have to try and hide his motives any longer.

Yep. It’s so sad. One of my closest mates, turns 21 in November this year and is already registered on the BetStop registry after talking to his folks about it last year when it became that big of a problem. Glad at least that he spoke about it, because there’s plenty who won’t before it spirals out of control.
21, that's sighs young. You're right in that plenty that won't and that's the type of addiction where people are secretly stealing from others, like their family members, to fuel this beast. And its not just a little, but almost to bankruptcy in some cases.

I saw this in the pub the other day. Since when did Australia start using the term parlay.

Also Gil can get stuffed. Never thought much of him. Certainly not the kind of bloke I'd have a beer with.
What does parley mean in gambling parlance? Not a punter and never heard it used before.

What does parley mean in gambling parlance? Not a punter and never heard it used before.
Its a North American/"Americanism"(off course) term which has two meanings

Either

To turn an initial stake or winnings from a previous bet into a greater amount by gambling(verb)

or

A cumulative series of bets in which winnings accruing from each transaction are used as a stake for a further bet(noun)

Hear it a lot in American sports.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back