News Gillon McLachlan - appointed CEO of Tabcorp

Remove this Banner Ad

So when he was AFL CEO, gambling ads were all over game telecasts, all over radio broadcasts, all over the scoreboards at venues, all over the loudspeakers at venues and all over signage at venues.
Now he works for them….
Yeah we’d be naive to think there’s not some degree of spot fixing happening. Maybe not blatant match fixing, although recent umpiring efforts late in games have me suspicious. But there can’t be this much money on the line in broadcast deals and gambling for them to not be manipulating some outcomes and narratives for maximum exposure and revenue.

Dunno if this is all that much of a shock though. Like an ex pollie going to work for one of the big 4 or a petro company, it's de rigueur.
More like look at the submarine contract fiasco with Scott Morrison as PM and look at the job he got afterwards.

Its corruption that should be a jail-able offense.

Its a North American/"Americanism"(off course) term which has two meanings

Either

To turn an initial stake or winnings from a previous bet into a greater amount by gambling(verb)

or

A cumulative series of bets in which winnings accruing from each transaction are used as a stake for a further bet(noun)

Hear it a lot in American sports.

Pirates also use it a bit, particularly Captain Jack Sparrow

Hard to not assume that their lobbying of the afl will become more effective
AFL should only accept the gambling money if they take them to the cleaners
Eg if current saturation is a $10m deal make it $50m but no increase in ads etc.
they can afford it and the AFL can spend the extra $ on 8k cameras for score reviews

For a company that aspires to take the moral high ground on every topic, this sport seemingly does not seem to care about being associated with gambling.

The dependence on gambling revenue is disgusting. Nearly $50M a year of direct revenue from gambling. Plus another $50M in indirect revenue via gambling ads on Channel 7. Clubs owning poker licences. The list goes on..

This appointment is proof that AFL executives simply do not give a flying ****.

Gil clearly doesn't give a shit about the optics.

I'm sorry for the lack of outrage but is there a list of jobs that a previous AFL employee with no current ties whatsoever to the game is allowed to take?

Sportsbet is the current AFL betting partner but they are Irish owned I think so Tabcorp has no current ties to the game as I understand it so I'm not sure of the link to the outrage.

I understand that many don't like the concept of gambling and the effects on some people and that's a completely different argument to an ex afl employee getting a job in that industry.

Would we all be as upset if an ex player went to work in a TAB?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Following on in the tradition of that crook Demetriou. Custodians of the people’s game? What a disgrace.

I actually hope we get a full blown betting scandal, time for a full blown reset.

Don’t give me that ‘we need this gambling dollar to make it a “world class” spectacle and to “attract talent”’. The players have few other options. This ain’t the world game where players can ply their trade in several big money leagues around the world. And the only executive talent these pricks are attracting are their mates and people who won’t stop the gravy train.

Disgusting.

Interesting to see how it goes.

I suspect a public Co. CEO role is a lot harder than the cushy AFL executive role !

I'm sorry for the lack of outrage but is there a list of jobs that a previous AFL employee with no current ties whatsoever to the game is allowed to take?

Sportsbet is the current AFL betting partner but they are Irish owned I think so Tabcorp has no current ties to the game as I understand it so I'm not sure of the link to the outrage.

I understand that many don't like the concept of gambling and the effects on some people and that's a completely different argument to an ex afl employee getting a job in that industry.

Not quite the same as your analogy but people do criticise former players for appearing in gambling ads and promotions. Nathan Brown's Sportsbet updates on telly spring to mind.

Its a North American/"Americanism"(off course) term which has two meanings

Either

To turn an initial stake or winnings from a previous bet into a greater amount by gambling(verb)

or

A cumulative series of bets in which winnings accruing from each transaction are used as a stake for a further bet(noun)

Hear it a lot in American sports.
Yeah it's my impression that sense is from the US gambling world.

I think the root is parler (French "to talk"), hence Parliament (talkathon), parlance etc.

I've heard it used to mean negotiate (hold a parley, pronounced pah-lee), or to negotiate an existing state to advantage (parr-lay) I think based on or related to that US sense.

So you might offer an enemy a parley, and once that first step was agreed you could parley the meeting into a full reconciliation, and seal the deal with a parley bet on the footy, arranged by Gill and Dill.

Great way to destroy any respect you may have had as the once AFL CEO.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Hi Rompingwins.

It's inappropriate for a corporate head on departing to take a job from an entity that stood to gain from the prior relationship, as it incentivises corruption.

Further as the AFL receives enormous government resources, it has to be held to a higher standard of conduct than any ordinary private business.

In my view Gillon is pissing in the face of the public with this brazen act.

AFL should only accept the gambling money if they take them to the cleaners
Eg if current saturation is a $10m deal make it $50m but no increase in ads etc.
they can afford it and the AFL can spend the extra $ on 8k cameras for score reviews
You want to make Laura Kane's rug sweeping even more difficult? 😂😂

Hi Rompingwins.

It's inappropriate for a corporate head on departing to take a job from an entity that stood to gain from the prior relationship, as it incentivises corruption.

Further as the AFL receives enormous government resources, it has to be held to a higher standard of conduct than any ordinary private business.

In my view Gillon is pissing in the face of the public with this brazen act.
Nice sarcasm. Once again the afl has no relationship with Tabcorp as I understand it with a completely different betting company (Sportsbet) being it's corporate betting partner. As such how does it stand to gain from the prior relationship?

It's amazing how many people manage to work themselves into an agitated outrage about an ex employee with no current ties to the AFL taking another job in the sports industry.

Wouldn't your logic preclude him from taking a coprporate role in any industry that has the slightest chance of a cross reference with the AFL (e.g. couldn't take the chief executive role at four'n'twenty because he might get them the AFL contract?) Or is the betting thing that has you outraged?

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gillon McLachlan - appointed CEO of Tabcorp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back