Gillon stepping down 2022 - Press Conference at 11:30am EST

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope who ever comes in, they make a good crack of getting rid of gambling and crypto ads altogether. All it does is ruin lives, family and community. If the AFL has any moral or social conscience, they'll get rid of it. AFL makes enough money from everything else. Time to get rid of gambling altogether as a revenue stream.

I hope who ever comes in, they make a good crack of getting rid of gambling and crypto ads altogether. All it does is ruin lives, family and community. If the AFL has any moral or social conscience, they'll get rid of it. AFL makes enough money from everything else. Time to get rid of gambling altogether as a revenue stream.

Gambling revenue makes up a not insubstantial portion of the TV revenue I believe, so the broadcasters would also have to forego gambling revenue, which impacts the value of the TV rights.

It's not a simple one.

Hoping for an ex player/someone who actually cares about the game rather than a businessperson who only cares about $$$.

Hiring an ex-AFL footballer purely because they played football, to run a multi billion dollar national sporting league....

What could possibly go wrong......

Vlad was an ex-player btw. Gill was a very very good amateur footballer also.

Brad Scott?

Running AFL VIC and being the AFL Football Operations Manager I don't think prepares you for the commercial experience required as CEO of the AFL....

Are some of you serious?

Do you actually understand the role? Gill is an active face and he's easy to pot, but he had a decade of experience under Vlad negotiating the commercial contracts of the AFL as well as handling the TV rights deals....

It's realistically a job suitable for about 50 people in the entire country.

Benny Gale is a Taswegian
The most impressive of the administrators in clubland by all accounts.
He'd have to be a legitimate chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most impressive of the administrators in clubland by all accounts.
He'd have to be a legitimate chance.
I don't really want to lose him from the Tigs, but if the replacement process is genuine, then he'd have to be a frontrunner
Given the way the AFL is run though, I suspect they will be already have their candidate selected

Running AFL VIC and being the AFL Football Operations Manager I don't think prepares you for the commercial experience required as CEO of the AFL....

Are some of you serious?

Do you actually understand the role? Gill is an active face and he's easy to pot, but he had a decade of experience under Vlad negotiating the commercial contracts of the AFL as well as handling the TV rights deals....

It's realistically a job suitable for about 50 people in the entire country.

Got to be Andrew Dillons turn at the top I reckon, but the league is just stupid enough to appoint someone like Auld. Unless they chase a club CEO - Brian Cook or Ben Gale for example.

What are the keys things that need to be addressed by the incoming chief ??

• equalising the fixture
  • the farce that is the tribunal etc
  • better quality umpiring
  • remove the rules committee
  • remove the medical sub
  • fairer finals system (i.e. who plays where)
  • NGA & academy rubbish
  • player trading
  • free agency system
  • club jumpers (i.e. do all clubs really need a clash strip ??)
  • further expansion (tas, nsw & qld)
  • club mergers & relocations

Got to be Andrew Dillons turn at the top I reckon, but the league is just stupid enough to appoint someone like Auld. Unless they chase a club CEO - Brian Cook or Ben Gale for example.
Of course it will be Dillon - I ask you, did Benny Gale or Brian Cook go to Xavier??

What are the keys things that need to be addressed by the incoming chief ??

• equalising the fixture
  • the farce that is the tribunal etc
  • better quality umpiring
  • remove the rules committee
  • remove the medical sub
  • fairer finals system (i.e. who plays where)
  • NGA & academy rubbish
  • player trading
  • free agency system
  • club jumpers (i.e. do all clubs really need a clash strip ??)
  • further expansion (tas, nsw & qld)
  • club mergers & relocations

Their form says inside job - Auld or Dillon, but the moves to position Auld indicate him as their favourite. Brian Cook - too late I suspect, and he also committed a massive faux par when he arrived at Carlton which would definitely wipe out any chance. Benny Gale has been transparently running for this role for years but could it be the ultimate irony for him and he gets done by his Chair - and she becomes the first female CEO?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gillon stepping down 2022 - Press Conference at 11:30am EST

Remove this Banner Ad

Back