Gippsland v Calder

Remove this Banner Ad

footyman

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Cannons let themselves down really badly today losing by 77 points.

Gippsland Power 6.5 9.7 14.11 19.14 (128)
Calder Cannons 1.3 4.9 5.15 5.21 (51)

BEST:
Gippsland Power: West Hansen Ellis Delphine Dore Dunne
Calder Cannons: Douglas McErlain Scott O'Dwyer Allen McGough

GOALS:
Gippsland Power: Neagle 5 Delphine 4 Thomas 2 Dunne 2 Dore Ross Eddy Goldsack Fraser O'Bryan
Calder Cannons: Bowes O'Dwyer Caruso Gazzo Douglas

By the end the constant missing of shots at goal became a joke. Blokes were missing from 30m out directly in front. 1.12 after half time for them. Gippsland were fairly arrogant in the way they played, a few blokes more so than others.

West played a great game in the ruck, certainly made people stand up and take notice of his ability. Hansen is going to be something special in 2006 that's for sure, holds his own down back.

Cannons forward line didn't work, seems that Neaves and co just being plonked down there relying on marking all sorts of skyballs just doesn't work. Neaves played like 'Jane' today that's for sure.

Richard Douglas was by far their best player, but too many passengers along with bad kicking let them down.

Michael Farrelly was cleaned up midway through the last quarter, I think it was by Brett Dore (who I'll be glad to see the back of from this competition to be honest) and went to the ground and didn't move for some time before being stretchered off. Adding to the drama, I presume it was his mother who stood at the fence screaming and yelling. Hopefully he's alright anyway, I admire how he plays footy and I've made it known before I do think he's a handy player for the Cannons the way he attacks the footy.

footyman said:
Michael Farrelly was cleaned up midway through the last quarter, I think it was by Brett Dore (who I'll be glad to see the back of from this competition to be honest)

Whilst Brett Dore is no doubt a bit of a hot-head, he generally is the retaliator and not the aggressor. The incident with Farrelly was a fair contest at top pace. Dore hit the pack at top pace with his arms raised to take the mark, which he almost did.

Whilst the parents took exception to the incident, not one of the Calder players appeared to have any problem with Brett. Obviously they saw it as a genuine contested situation. I am sure that if it was an untoward challenge they would have stood up for their fallen comrade.

I myself would not want to be hit by Brett Dore at full pace. Appeared that Farrelly hit his head on the ground following the contest.

His parents actions after the game and the threatening verbal barrage and gestures towards Brett were unwarranted.

If the kid's parents reacted that way it's very disappointing. As you say JimmyJess, there was nothing in the colision, it was just an unfortunate accident.

Second time in six weeks I've most enjoyed watching one Gippsland player and he wasn't even named in the best players. :rolleyes:

Jimmyjess said:
Whilst Brett Dore is no doubt a bit of a hot-head, he generally is the retaliator and not the aggressor. The incident with Farrelly was a fair contest at top pace. Dore hit the pack at top pace with his arms raised to take the mark, which he almost did.

Whilst the parents took exception to the incident, not one of the Calder players appeared to have any problem with Brett. Obviously they saw it as a genuine contested situation. I am sure that if it was an untoward challenge they would have stood up for their fallen comrade.

I myself would not want to be hit by Brett Dore at full pace. Appeared that Farrelly hit his head on the ground following the contest.

His parents actions after the game and the threatening verbal barrage and gestures towards Brett were unwarranted.
That is fair enough.

To the naked eye from a long way away it looked crude. To the umpire it was fair enough. I haven't see a replay so I won't comment on whether it was allowable or not. One bloke comes steaming at full pace and crunches a bloke standing in front, both going fo the mark - that is fair enough. Like you say Calder players didn't retaliate that much.

Brett Dore will be a good player for some rural Gippsland team, but his type in the TAC Cup don't do much for me. Same with Prior and Murray.

I didn't notice the abuse from Farrelly's parents after the game, I certainly saw the drama just after the incident. I think they were quite close to jumping the fence and going onto the ground. At the same time, I can understand the reaction at that time, Dore is fat and would do quite a bit of damage going at someone at pace, especially a guy like Farrelly who is fairly skinny. But to abuse him after the game was going too far.

As for the Calder players, I hope they remember that incident and also the arrogant pat on the head some smug Gippsland player gave one of them when they gave away a 50m penalty if they happen to meet again this season.

I liked that pat on the head, showed real ____ - it's a word that begins with c which isn't character. :) Not like the player responsible can't back it up when it counts. ;) Actually before this player gave 'the pat on the head', I got the impression Gippsland's Pendlebury was consoling his Calder opponent for the unfortunate error. It was odd, showed two differing approaches on the playing field.

footyman said:
That is fair enough.

To the naked eye from a long way away it looked crude. To the umpire it was fair enough. I haven't see a replay so I won't comment on whether it was allowable or not. One bloke comes steaming at full pace and crunches a bloke standing in front, both going fo the mark - that is fair enough. Like you say Calder players didn't retaliate that much.

Brett Dore will be a good player for some rural Gippsland team, but his type in the TAC Cup don't do much for me. Same with Prior and Murray.

I didn't notice the abuse from Farrelly's parents after the game, I certainly saw the drama just after the incident. I think they were quite close to jumping the fence and going onto the ground. At the same time, I can understand the reaction at that time, Dore is fat and would do quite a bit of damage going at someone at pace, especially a guy like Farrelly who is fairly skinny. But to abuse him after the game was going too far.

As for the Calder players, I hope they remember that incident and also the arrogant pat on the head some smug Gippsland player gave one of them when they gave away a 50m penalty if they happen to meet again this season.
So Footyman, did you hear the mother of the fallen kid? Don't tell me you didn't hear her, she could have been heard all the way in the car park, swearing and yelling abuse at Brett. It was a fair contest, Brett did nothing wrong and it was an unfortunate incident, it did not warrant the mother coming to the Power Race after the game and giving the "slit your throat" gesture to Brett, that is bad sportmanship, and why wasn't she at the hospital with her son?
I wouldn't say Dore is fat, yes he's well built but certainly not fat, and I liken him to a plugger type player, has very good hands, is hard at the ball and can hold his own even when he has 3 people hanging off his back!!! Surely there is a place for him in the AFL? Yes he is slow and can be outrun on most occasions, but he is still a pleasure to watch, and as someone else commented above, he is not usually the instigator of an incident, but he will defend himself if needed and we can't blame him for that. Brett is a very nice, quite type of person and I know he feels really bad about what happened today but it really was not his fault and not intentional at all.
As far as the "arrogance" if that really happened, don't you think it would have been "sweet revenge" for what Calder did to Power last year???? What goes around comes around. And quite simply, Calder should not have even made it to the finals judging on the game they played today and unless they lift their game immensley, Eastern will eat them next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

saintlynewby said:
I wouldn't say Dore is fat, yes he's well built but certainly not fat, and I liken him to a plugger type player, has very good hands, is hard at the ball and can hold his own even when he has 3 people hanging off his back!!! Surely there is a place for him in the AFL? Yes he is slow and can be outrun on most occasions, but he is still a pleasure to watch, and as someone else commented above, he is not usually the instigator of an incident, but he will defend himself if needed and we can't blame him for that. Brett is a very nice, quite type of person and I know he feels really bad about what happened today but it really was not his fault and not intentional at all.
Nah I was speaking to people after the game, didn't hear her. That is ugly if she did get down to the fence and react in that way though, at the same time I'll understand that people can get irrational at times when they are in shock.

You have obviously spoken to the bloke after the match, which suggests you are a parent, coach, team official or teammate which is fine. However Dore is 188cm and 107kg by the Footy Record...I find it hard to believe you would say he's not fat? I'm sorry if you don't like that word, but those sorts of measurements suggest he is and your suggestion "surely there is a place for him in the AFL" ruins your credibility. If he's a "pleasure to watch", you should get out more.

saintlynewby said:
it did not warrant the mother coming to the Power Race after the game and giving the "slit your throat" gesture to Brett, that is bad sportmanship, and why wasn't she at the hospital with her son?

Fazza wasn't at the hospital mate. He was still being looked after by the team doctor in the change rooms.Club officials and then the doctor were frantically trying to get the idiot ambulance phone person to send an ambulance. The ambulance did not turn up until at least 30 minutes after the game had finished and I am told it took at least 15 minutes to convince the 000 person to send one. With a hospital just 5 minutes down the road I think it was disgraceful that it took so long to get there. Thankfully Fazza appears to be on the mend and after a few hours observation at the hospital he should be back home, albeit with a bloody headache.

I don't condone what was allegedly said by his mum and/or dad but it must have been pretty tough for them to deal with what they were watching out on the ground. I think we all have had some regrets about our own actions at some time in our past.

79Vintage said:
Second time in six weeks I've most enjoyed watching one Gippsland player and he wasn't even named in the best players. :rolleyes:
Cut the cryptic clues Vintage, who is it?

chewy-on-your-boot said:
Thankfully Fazza appears to be on the mend and after a few hours observation at the hospital he should be back home, albeit with a bloody headache.
Good to hear chewy.

Well, sorry Footyman, I'm the first person to admit I don't know much about Footy, have said that before, but I know what I like and what I see and I'm not trying to be a selector!! I quite like the way Brett plays, he looks steady and has strong hands, he struggled with weight last year and earlier this year, but if you look at him he is very solid, not fat, fat jiggles I know I have enough of it myself, I challenge you to find any fat on Brett!!!! I heard the poor kids mum is like that a lot, don't know, never heard her before but it was really unnecassery

Thanks for that chewy, I think everyone there felt really bad for the kid, it's not good to see someone go limp and stay down for ages in any sport!! Glad he'll be ok.......But if his mum is going to react like she did, maybe she should get her son into Ballet??? Not Footy.

saintlynewby said:
he struggled with weight last year and earlier this year, but if you look at him he is very solid, not fat, fat jiggles I know I have enough of it myself, I challenge you to find any fat on Brett!!!!
I'll take your word for it, and hope the man doesn't see what's being said about him.

footyman said:
However Dore is 188cm and 107kg by the Footy Record...I find it hard to believe you would say he's not fat? I'm sorry if you don't like that word, but those sorts of measurements suggest he is and your suggestion "surely there is a place for him in the AFL" ruins your credibility. If he's a "pleasure to watch", you should get out more.

Ease up Forest. Less of the characterisation. It's a contact sport and there was nothing in it. Such thing happen all the time. Dorey is a very fair player and never goes out of his way to hurt people. He is a ball player who runs straight at the contest and the lose ball.

Mrs Farrelly was obviously concerned about her son, as you would expect, but she went over board. Mr Farrelly actually stopped her coming on the field so all credit to him in the situation.

Lets not make a mountain our of a mole hill, but simply give credit to two lads who only had their eyes for the ball.

evo said:
LMAO @Neaves.No way he'll get picked up.Surely.Seeing him getting run down ambling out from full back summed him up perfectly.Never seen a fella move so slowly.
Can someone tell me why he is a good chance to get drefted. I havent seen him do anything and ive seen him play about 5 times this year.

evo said:
Can't believe you didn't hear the mother screaming like a banshee footyman,it echoes through the whole ground.Quite understandable though,the poor guy didnt seem to move for ages.Is he ok?
If you read page 1 you'll see I was the first person to mention the yelling at the time of the incident.

I did not hear or see the abuse after the game as somebody claimed.

Sezzac1 said:
Ease up Forest. Less of the characterisation. It's a contact sport and there was nothing in it. Such thing happen all the time. Dorey is a very fair player and never goes out of his way to hurt people. He is a ball player who runs straight at the contest and the lose ball.
Alright Beanie, point taken. You are going to give me a massive spray tomorrow. I never claimed that it wasn't fair or not the incident, I said I was too far away from it. However, I did say the larger type players like Dore, Tyquin, Prior and Murray aren't really blokes I enjoy watching play in this competition, I prefer the quick little blokes or the tall leaping mobile big blokes. Thats all.

Aside from pulling up Saintly for saying Dore had a place in AFL, and me referring to him as being a bit overweight, I didn't say what he did was right or wrong. I don't know I saw it once from 80m away. So did you.

You should re-read what I have posted. I'm not pointing the finger at him at all.

I can see why you like Dore anyway, a bit like your boy Lance ;)

freak29 said:
Can someone tell me why he is a good chance to get drefted. I havent seen him do anything and ive seen him play about 5 times this year.
After today I'm not sure either! I'll have to have a rethink for footydraft.

Dore is rather portly. :D

Not having a go at you footyman,I understand what a hard job it is trying to put them in order.Particularly this season.But Neaves has no place in the draft in my view.

Ellis's game was very good today I thought.A real talent.Can play anywhere it seems.Magic footskills.

Also thought Douglas and Thomas were good.

Hansen top 2 next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gippsland v Calder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back