Going out on a limb here, Kennett should step down/be forced to step down as President

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Call it an over-reaction if you will, but I really think Jeff should step down as President at the end of the year. He's done a great job as President for us, but I think it's reached the point now where his comments are not only hurting the reputation of the Hawthorn Football Club, but possibly affecting the way could perform against their opposition on the field.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but when he started, didn't he say hoe he would be a 'behind the scenes kind of guy'. He tried to mute all of the clubs public appearances in the media. He even wanted Crawf off the footy show.

Fast forward to today. At the end of 2007, he called for the Kangaroos to move to the Gold Coast. Yesterday, he called for Melbourne to move to the Coast. What purpose do these comments serve? Did he expect the North and Melbourne CEO to sit up and say, "Well, now that Jeff's said it, that's the be all and the end all, let's make the move".

Ofcourse not. Instead, i'd be pretty sure that both the supporters and members of North and Melbourne would hope that these comments come back to bite Jeff.

Hypothetically, say Hawthorn finds itself struggling in 10 years time. Do you think Melbourne, North and other smaller Victorian clubs such as the Bulldogs will be there for us, offering a helping hand in our time of need?

Jeff needs to either shut up for good (I give it 3 months, tops) or leave the Presidency with dignity at the end of the season.

With all due respect phil, you've got to be kidding?

We've got 40000 members, our crowds in Melbourne and Tasmania are going through the roof and we've finally got a presense in the media again. The major reason why everything is falling into place is because we've got stablity at the top, we haven't been in this position before at any time I can remember supporting the Hawks, we haven't been in this position off the field probably ever?

We cant just throw this all away because of a couple of poorly direct comments at a club on the ropes, a comment most clubs deep in their hearts probably agree with anyway.

The aim of the game is to get into a position where in 10 years time we're not going to be bottom feeders.

If anyone should go its Gardiner, his stupidity and ignorance is a blight on the game, his 'Tasmania Hawks' left hook- if you can classify it as that, was downright embarassing.

Hypothetically, say Hawthorn finds itself struggling in 10 years time. Do you think Melbourne, North and other smaller Victorian clubs such as the Bulldogs will be there for us, offering a helping hand in our time of need?

Jeff needs to either shut up for good (I give it 3 months, tops) or leave the Presidency with dignity at the end of the season.

Where were those clubs when we were stuffed?

Lets face facts. Hawthorn has been forced to sell games interstate whilst the CBF ensures the three poorest Vic clubs play more games than us in Melbourne. A joke of a situation.

Kennett is simply pointing out the obvious. Even patrick Smith who is no Kennett fan agreed with him in todays article.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23748593-2722,00.html

If western Sydney follows and proves incompetent - as the Gold Coast might do in its early years if the drafts lack talent - then the traditional teams will be starved of draft picks and condemned to a decade of mediocrity. Aware of this, the stronger clubs are already questioning the right of the weaker clubs to receive millions in the AFL's Additional Service Dividends - a less offensive term for life support. Without the ASD, 10 clubs would have been eight long ago.

Such is the sensitivity to football's future, Cappuccino Kennett all but sets AFL policy. He says Melbourne should go to the Gold Coast and the football population consider it as fact and not as none of Cappuccino's business. Relocation is the password to emotional madness.

But Cappuccino is right. Ten clubs will not survive in Melbourne and the number of NRL clubs in Sydney will certainly shrink. Rugby union might fall over, soccer stand tall. Never have Australia's winter codes pushed and shoved so much to hold their ground or take

To suggest that the club president shouldnt take a public position on something that will have a large future bearing on the future of the club is beyond comprehension.

His priority is the Hawthorn Football Club

If that means he has to upset the port quaffers, then so what?

Eggs and omelettes.

Sorry philhawk, you have got to be kidding.

Look at what he has done for our club in just a limited amount of time.

Kennet's comments i.e. Melbourne and relocation, in my opinion affected Hawthorn in no way shape or form.

Call it an over-reaction if you will, but I really think Jeff should step down as President at the end of the year. He's done a great job as President for us, but I think it's reached the point now where his comments are not only hurting the reputation of the Hawthorn Football Club, but possibly affecting the way could perform against their opposition on the field".

Mate, this is 10 times worse than what Willo did. Very disrespectful, totally uncalled for and back to the type of pigheadedness that got him the A as Premier when he asked "Do the country people have a vote?", 4 days out from an election.

I hope Clarkson had a "chat" behind closed doors... Hutchy style!

Kennett has the contacts, the savvy and has done a great job. But we don't need this aggro. We are the family club!

Sorry philhawk, you have got to be kidding.

Look at what he has done for our club in just a limited amount of time.

Kennet's comments i.e. Melbourne and relocation, in my opinion affected Hawthorn in no way shape or form.

JFK is right, but what gives him the divine right to say it?

Rule One Jeff: The cameras/tape recorders/microphones are ALWAYS on.

Can't agree with you there Philhawk, we are very fortunate to have Jeff as our President and although he might be outspoken sometimes and quite a few might not agree with his comments ,he has put Hawthorn on the map with the big boys. All we ever used to hear was Eddie from Collingwood,now we have an elite person and one of the most highly respected in Victoria as the figurehead of Hawthorn and standing up for ourself and having our views as a strong Victorian club.

Excuse me if I'n not such a a kennet fan bu I'm still wondering why last weeks game wasnt free to air if he has so much influence.

I'll call it now. Clarkos way is 100 times more acceptable to Hawks powerbrokers than Kennets - and I believe Dunstall is the one who calls the shots anyway.

I'll call it now - if we win the flag in 08, kennet will announce 'my job is done' and that part of our history will be over !

This is crazy, step down, he should be offered the job for life. Everyone knows he doesn't think 10 clubs will survive in Melbourne so if he is asked what a struggling club should do he's going to say leave Melbourne. He would look like an idiot if he didn't say that.

No club is going to move because Jeff told them to but if the AFL make a move on some struggling clubs and we go to 8 Melbourne clubs Hawthorn is safe forever even if we go back to the days when we were in trouble.

Jeff should keep the job as long as he wants it.

To all those people here who have stood up for Kennett, take a minute and consider.

What exactly has Kennett done for the Hawthorn Football Club, that Ian Dicker hadn't already organised prior to handing over the Kennett?

The tremendous recovery, both financial and on field of the HFC can be credited to the following:
- Moving to Waverley as training base
- Establishing the Tasmanian home game deal, w/ Tas Govt
- Appointing Clarkson - not a presidental decision.

Now, in my view, (and perhaps I'm wrong), the above were all put in place prior to Kennett's arrival. Frankly, I think Kennett is riding on Ian Dicker's coat tails.

You guys don't give enough credit to Dicker and the others on the HFC board. Kennett really disappoints me the way he mouthes off, and disrespects other clubs. I can imagine it would piss clarkson off considerably.

Just my opinion..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys don't give enough credit to Dicker and the others on the HFC board. Kennett really disappoints me the way he mouthes off, and disrespects other clubs. I can imagine it would piss clarkson off considerably.

Just my opinion..

Is anybody here saying they don't deserve credit? Don't think so.

Kennett needs to clamp his mouth... and apply the 3 second rule before opening it.

This is crazy, step down, he should be offered the job for life. Everyone knows he doesn't think 10 clubs will survive in Melbourne so if he is asked what a struggling club should do he's going to say leave Melbourne. He would look like an idiot if he didn't say that.

No club is going to move because Jeff told them to but if the AFL make a move on some struggling clubs and we go to 8 Melbourne clubs Hawthorn is safe forever even if we go back to the days when we were in trouble.

Jeff should keep the job as long as he wants it.

Jeffs comments leave no doubt he would do the same to hawthorn if he thought it was best - this is the guy who gave us telstra dome remember - we know for a fact they DID seriously contemplate moving hawthorn there - which is what gardner has hinted at.

Also the MFC would not be stynes to do with as he sees fit - and theres the embarrassing lack of a decent stadium there.

And the real reason North didnt go there - the AFL offer involved legally handing the club over to AFL control - its like someone saying theyll redevelop my house if I sign it over to them - i can admire it every so often but i cant actually live in it.

what advice would you give Jim Stynes IF he became MFC President?

"What I said is that you have to Bite the Bullet go Gold Coast. Take the AFL largsee and the player consessions."

That's all he said isnt it?

How is that a problem?

Whilst I don't think Jeff should comment on other clubs, Melbourne wanted a merger in 1996 and 12 years later are still candidates. AFL handouts won't keep going on forever, a club relocated is better than a dead club imo

what advice would you give Jim Stynes IF he became MFC President?

"What I said is that you have to Bite the Bullet go Gold Coast. Take the AFL largsee and the player consessions."

That's all he said isnt it?

How is that a problem?

Whilst I don't think Jeff should comment on other clubs, Melbourne wanted a merger in 1996 and 12 years later are still candidates. AFL handouts won't keep going on forever, a club relocated is better than a dead club imo

^^^^^^^ this

What he said wasn't that bad, surprise surprise everyone quoted it out of context.

The funniest thing is that everyone is angry at him for pointing out that the emperor has no clothes. Everyone knows that 10 teams won't survive in Melbourne, yet any time someone says it they get shouted down.

This is an issue that affects Hawthorn, where do you think the money to prop up the two bottom teams will come from, and the answer sure as hell isn't Santa Claus.

Phil - in answer to your hypothetical, I think you're dreaming

^^^^^^^ this

What he said wasn't that bad, surprise surprise everyone quoted it out of context.

The funniest thing is that everyone is angry at him for pointing out that the emperor has no clothes. Everyone knows that 10 teams won't survive in Melbourne, yet any time someone says it they get shouted down.

This is an issue that affects Hawthorn, where do you think the money to prop up the two bottom teams will come from, and the answer sure as hell isn't Santa Claus.

Phil - in answer to your hypothetical, I think you're dreaming

G'day lads,

I agree that Ian Dicker did a wonderful job is moving Hawthorn in the right direction and getting us back on track.

Jeff is exactly the man to capitalise on his work and he is doing so magnificently! Never has the club been in such a state of financial success.

What you guys need to realise is that the AFL is a business FULL STOP! Yes it involves emotion and tradition though at the end of the day we are supporters of a massive buisness. Who would you rather at the helm, a former and very successful state premier or an ex-footballer like Jimmy steynes??? I love Jimmy like the rest of AFL supporters though what quals does he bring to the table.

What help are you referring to Phil when you suggest that the Bulldogs or Roos will come to our assistance in the future?? You have to be kidding! They will look after themselves as we do!

Jeff is making it very very clear to the AFL and to the public, the impact that the AFL board is having on the league and how detrimental the changes will be to Melbourne clubs. He is the only president willing to make a statement and I for one am happy he is at the helm!

I'm sick of these knee jerk threads cluttering what should be meaningful and "food for thought" type footy discussions.

One only needs to take a look at the current footy climate and what it means to clubs who are struggling off field.
Kennett's main focus is not only Hawthorn's long term survival but also the Victorian market and the clubs within.
The MFC are supposed to be celebrating 150 years, the oldest sporting club in the country, 12 flags and a rich history. This is what they are hanging their hats on but in reality the "fringe" supporters continue to rile the diehards by not becoming financial. Never have, never will.
Their '08 forecast now reads a $1mill loss, the AFL will shed a further $750k in handouts and their Prez continues to throw up "pie in the sky" solutions that will never eventuate.
He'll be replaced by seasons end then it's Jimmy Styne's turn to "ressurect the club" just like Gutnik, Szondy, Gardiner, Ridley & co. have tried and failed to do in the past. Ridley the only one with realistic foresight.

Kennett undrstands their situation very well and sees no other alternative given the AFL's priority, focus, drafting and funding is directed towards the GC & WS.

Given all this, Kennett was asked a question and answered it the way he saw it, sadly, the way it is. Nothing wrong with being brutally honest in this case. If anything it will shake the MFC and their supporters into action.

Remove this Banner Ad

Going out on a limb here, Kennett should step down/be forced to step down as President

Remove this Banner Ad

Back