Club Focus Gold Coast Suns 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Damm. I just saw GC still have another year of Rory Atkins @550k a year.

I will say, it's interesting how quickly the player retention issue can be solved.
Brisbane couldn't keep any of their interstate players, then in the space of a few years they became a destination club and attracted non Qld players to ask for a trade there.

GC was recently going through something similar, but are now also having non Qld players requesting a trade there.

It was always about culture and not location.

Who would you rather a cooked Dusty or a peak Dan Rioli? I know who I'd prefer we will life very difficult at the trade table.
Ha ha, Rioli is not the messiah and at the end of his so called peak, feel free to over stretch and piss him off by not facilitating a reasonable trade, only be cheaper next year

Looking forward to seeing Coasty Martin win another Norm Smith, Go Suns

Ha ha, Rioli is not the messiah and at the end of his so called peak, feel free to over stretch and piss him off by not facilitating a reasonable trade, only be cheaper next year

He is a better player than Martin at this current time & will help the Suns a lot more who are stagnet off half-back.

LOL it's actually Rusty Martin I'm actually starting to hope he does go there now just to see him ruin the Suns completely.

He is a better player than Martin at this current time & will help the Suns a lot more who are stagnet off half-back.
I agree he would be handy, never said otherwise. But for the price being asked we would be better off taking Noble ( pick 26) and taking pick 6 to the draft.

LOL it's actually Rusty Martin I'm actually starting to hope he does go there now just to see him ruin the Suns completely.
Wow, no reason to be salty at us, not our fault he would rather play for the Suns and for less than half the money

Who else wants out of Yze’s zoo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incredible how a bit of a cult of personality is created and then follows the leader. Gold Coast have Dimma, Grigg and are now looking at getting Rioli and Martin. If you guys move up the ladder quickly I reckon this time next year another Dimma loyalist will want out. Funny how Chol and Ellis definitely knew they weren't in Dimmas plans and got out at the right time.

I'm a bit unconvinced though but Suns have to go all in an back Hardwick. What they have been doing up there for years has not worked and you don't bring an experienced successful coach in and then not give him more power than an untried one. Biggest question mark is to what extent was the Richmond dynasty not able to be attributed to Dimma and more a result of things like on field leadership, board stability, players taking unders to stay, crucial assistant coaches input. Dimma never struck me as so.e sort of tactical genius and more of a motivator and ability to form a connection with the players. Because he left the way that he did it just makes wonder whether he is in the right mental space to replicate the results.

We were a laughing stock when he started and he grew with the team, making mistakes along the way and getting the right feedback to improve. Is he now a finished product? Would Gold Coast dare to do an exhaustive review in year 3 if the side hasn't made the finals? Anyone exciting times ahead for the club, more media exposure, more expectations and hopefully some more success in the future.

Incredible how a bit of a cult of personality is created and then follows the leader. Gold Coast have Dimma, Grigg and are now looking at getting Rioli and Martin. If you guys move up the ladder quickly I reckon this time next year another Dimma loyalist will want out. Funny how Chol and Ellis definitely knew they weren't in Dimmas plans and got out at the right time.

I'm a bit unconvinced though but Suns have to go all in an back Hardwick. What they have been doing up there for years has not worked and you don't bring an experienced successful coach in and then not give him more power than an untried one. Biggest question mark is to what extent was the Richmond dynasty not able to be attributed to Dimma and more a result of things like on field leadership, board stability, players taking unders to stay, crucial assistant coaches input. Dimma never struck me as so.e sort of tactical genius and more of a motivator and ability to form a connection with the players. Because he left the way that he did it just makes wonder whether he is in the right mental space to replicate the results.

We were a laughing stock when he started and he grew with the team, making mistakes along the way and getting the right feedback to improve. Is he now a finished product? Would Gold Coast dare to do an exhaustive review in year 3 if the side hasn't made the finals? Anyone exciting times ahead for the club, more media exposure, more expectations and hopefully some more success in the future.
All fair points in my opinion.

I am far from convinced that Dimma can replicate the success he had with Tigers. It's the whole club effort not just senior coach and everything has to go right. Suns are different club, with min resources, in a completely different environment.

To me it does look like Dimma is committed and I don't see a burnout coach.

He is re-shaping the list and in 2024 season he played a lot of kids for future success. I do question some of his field decisions.

Next 2 years will tell us where Suns are headed. Competition is so even, anything can happen.

I think this under sells what the club was able to achieve under Dew. I was one of Dew's biggest critics but a lot went right under his tenure. You want to talk about board stability, I feel we have that under Bob East who has seemlessly taken over from Tony Cochrane who was a champion of the GC suns. Mark Evans has been at the club for some time now and during this time we have moved into state of the art facilities from the transportable dongas we started in.

One of our biggest problems before Dew took over was player retention which we have clearly solved during his time, we now have a pretty large nucleus of players aged 21-25 and now have added some serious depth of young academy talent. Our next step is growing that group into the 25-30 age bracket.

The question of Dew was could he take the group to premiership success, and ultimately we targeted Dimma, and got our man. Like all head coaches, they will bring in assistants they trust, and after working at one of the most successful, well ran clubs in Geelong, Grigg was a coup (unfortunately this came at the expense of King).

Now we are looking at bringing in mature age talent in the 25-30 aged bracket (and dusty) as the logical progression of our list.

Will we review if we miss finals next year? I would hope so, but gold coast's journey didn't start 12 months ago and i think that's been lost on a few Richmond supporters.

In regards to Daniel Rioli and John Noble, do people get that Alex Sexton was parading around at half back for large chunks of the year?

Its a fricken gigantic ass list need. They cant wait another 4 years to figure it out either

In regards to Daniel Rioli and John Noble, do people get that Alex Sexton was parading around at half back for large chunks of the year?

Its a fricken gigantic ass list need. They cant wait another 4 years to figure it out either
Spot on, Rioli and Noble in for Sexton and Budarick is a huge improvement.

Small forward is the other position that urgently needs upgrading.

Spot on, Rioli and Noble in for Sexton and Budarick is a huge improvement.

Small forward is the other position that urgently needs upgrading.
Agree with everything you and others are saying. Half backs who can use the ball and run has been a need for a long time. Small forward too, though quality ones aren’t easy to find. Perhaps in the draft?
I quite liked the look of Budarick before his injury. Shaping as a decent, accountable small defender. Haven’t seen enough of him lately to comment meaningfully. Has he completely lost it? Or are they expecting more from him than what he is capable of?

Agree with everything you and others are saying. Half backs who can use the ball and run has been a need for a long time. Small forward too, though quality ones aren’t easy to find. Perhaps in the draft?
I quite liked the look of Budarick before his injury. Shaping as a decent, accountable small defender. Haven’t seen enough of him lately to comment meaningfully. Has he completely lost it? Or are they expecting more from him than what he is capable of?
I'm probably the wrong one to comment on Buda, but I don't think he's up to it as a AFL defender. Not fast enough, or skillful enough. Get's beaten nearly every week. Two ACL's didn't help. He gets more leeway as an academy player but imo he's the first out of the team for Rioli or Noble.

I gave up on Budarick when he was dropped early in the season and played ordinary footy at VFL but then at the end of season when he got another opportunity he started to resemble the old Budarick.

It's really up put to Dimma who and how he wants defence to be set up.

Interestingly, all info from the club is that Andrew will play back again. So that's Collins, Ballard, Andrew and then Powell, Noble and Rioli. Uwland is a lock too. That's 7 starting defenders.

Then there is Budarick and Jeffrey. Lemmens emergency.

I gave up on Budarick when he was dropped early in the season and played ordinary footy at VFL but then at the end of season when he got another opportunity he started to resemble the old Budarick.

It's really up put to Dimma who and how he wants defence to be set up.

Interestingly, all info from the club is that Andrew will play back again. So that's Collins, Ballard, Andrew and then Powell, Noble and Rioli. Uwland is a lock too. That's 7 starting defenders.

Then there is Budarick and Jeffrey. Lemmens emergency.
Jeffrey must be running out of chances. Every time I see him play he has 2-3 brilliant moments and 5-6 howlers (skill or decision making).

Andrew surely plays forward/2nd ruck if Luko leaves.

Jeffrey must be running out of chances. Every time I see him play he has 2-3 brilliant moments and 5-6 howlers (skill or decision making).

Andrew surely plays forward/2nd ruck if Luko leaves.
That's not what Campbell and Andrew say.

King, Walter, Read is our forward line future according to Campbell.

Yes, Jeffrey is still inconsistent but I thought he had several very good games this year. Not sure where he plays. Probably he has to wait for opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Gold Coast Suns 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back