Remove this Banner Ad

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sounds ridiculous, but there is merit in why I say this.

Gold Coast believe it or not, are 1st in the AFL in clearances this year. One stat does not make a team but it's still an important stat. In two games were Geelong were beaten in this category they only scraped with a win. They beat Freo by 9 and Carlton last week by 2 points. In both games the opposition had more scoring shots. Now obviously these are better outfits, but none the less something to note.

The other things is how they match up.

Gold Coast weakness at the moment, is their defence. When Hunt is leading in spoils it obviously signifies lack of key defenders. But this year as dominant as the Cats have been, they have not been very efficient when the ball goes inside 50. If they can stem the inside 50 disparity it should make the Suns more competitive tomorrow.

Conversely, Geelong's defence is their strength but Taylor and Enright are out this week, and it will be up to Lonergan and him alone to take Dixon. I don't think they have a really good match for him. If Z.Smith pushes forward it could stretch their defence. Then you still have players like Matera and Kraouker who can crumb.

I'm not tipping GC, although I think $11 is overvalued, and have put money on for an upset, and covered it with a line bet.

It's their first "real" home game, and I think that could also give an additional imputes. GC have their most experienced outfit this year, and I'm looking forward to a good contest.

Lonergan can nullify Buddy but is no good match up for dixon?

bzzzzzzzzztttt

Incorrect.

One is a winger/small half-forward, the other is very good contested mark.

Bzzzzt. Next.

Underarm said:
and second, clearances arent the be all and end all, Essendon smashed us on the weekend and yet we won. its what you do with it.

Is that what I said? I said it was important to note and how it relates on how they match up.

Clearances don't win games especially if the majority of the side are undeveloped kids that understandably turn the ball over and are up agienst big senior bodies that punish sides for mistakes countering off the rebound.

Geelong will win by 70 points at the very least, the odds are where they should be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it will be tight for a half, but the overall class of the Away team will shine through in the end to win comfortably. Plus the fact that the Coast are probably sacrificing a little nip for bigger bodies that probably won't have the pace to worry Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast to Win?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back