Gold Coast Up Ablett Ante

Remove this Banner Ad

ablett is abandoning ship at the end of the season, along with the coach and the majority of the older players (guys like chapman, milburn etc will all retire)...

big deal... all good things come to an end... if he's going to languish in a mediocre team, he may as well get paid 2m a year to do it...

Why would Chapman retire?

One of the weirdest things I've seen posted on BF in a while.

ablett is abandoning ship at the end of the season, along with the coach and the majority of the older players (guys like chapman, milburn etc will all retire)...

big deal... all good things come to an end... if he's going to languish in a mediocre team, he may as well get paid 2m a year to do it...

Lol What?! You obviously have NO idea what you're talking about!

FYI - Bomber is contracted till the end of 2011 :eek:

I dont think he will go, mainly because he is an idiot and probably thinks Geelong will love him forever because of "club loyalty."

Look in the mirror to find an idiot mate!
Geelong will :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: him forever for everything he has ALREADY done even if he goes...which we won't.

wishful thinking

This idea that players must remain loyal to their club is absurd. As was shown with Bradshaw late last year, clubs will move on players when it suits them. Loyalty is not high on the clubs agenda so why are players expected to show the same commitment.

I don't really care if Gaz goes or not, but should not be pressured into staying because he is made to feel he is in debt to the club.

I don't think that any Geelong fan could hold it against Gary if he took that kind of money. Seriously; if they win the premiership this year I just don't see what more he can do at Geelong.

I wouldn't consider him a turncoat...

He's won everything at Geelong, I would absolutely understand if he wanted to take the money. You're not in the game forever.

No he hasn't won everything - the one thing he will achieve in Geelong is immortality. Money can't buy that. Just read Mike Sheehan's article. As he says, Ablett won't go to GC to be rich, just richer. But this will come at a price.

I really don't understand those (including Geelong supporters) who say he's won everything, or achieved everything at Geelong - no he hasn't. What about trying to become a part of team that could end up as one of the all-time great teams, if they keep going? What about trying to win 3 or more premierships? What about trying to go down in history as Geelong's all-time best player? What about improving his leadership skills to become Geelong's next captain? There's plenty more for him to do there, and he is currently in a position that the majority of players never get the chance to be in, having achieved (or been a part of) what he has so far.

Really good point. Its almost as if the fact he has got 2 flags and a charlie excuses him for chasing the $$$. He could surpass his old man if he stays at Geelong, if hasnt already...

Saying that, he doesn't strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed and he also seems to shy away slightly from the limelight like his dad.
What Im getting at is I am not sure he'll have a glowing media career following his retirement and chasing the sort of money that would set you up for life could be a good decision.

Personally, I couldnt give a shit where he ends up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No he hasn't won everything - the one thing he will achieve in Geelong is immortality.

I'm not so sure that being revered so much in a small town like Geelong is such a good thing.

Dont read the wrong thing into this but his Dad was similarly revered and we know how his post-football life went...

Its almost the same scenario as Judd coming to Carlton, Who better to lead a raw midfield and Captain the side. Who better to promote and lure Members to a new club makes perfect sense, unfortunately Geelong get a Raw Deal or ultimately a early draft pick who could be the next superstar.
Welcome to The Age of Money matters.

Things aren't that straight forward money wise.

Geelong can put his fourth and fifth year of any new contract under the vets list, so expect a big back-ended offer from Geelong.

He will shorten his career by a year or two by going to GC. At the moment he gets good protection from his very experienced team mates. Also right now opposition coaches have to spread their mid-defense against a number of talented players. At GC he will be the number one target with no team-mates consisdered worthy of stopping. He will get battered every match he plays.

This idea that players must remain loyal to their club is absurd. As was shown with Bradshaw late last year, clubs will move on players when it suits them. Loyalty is not high on the clubs agenda so why are players expected to show the same commitment.

I don't really care if Gaz goes or not, but should not be pressured into staying because he is made to feel he is in debt to the club.

Player loyalty went out a longtime ago, sometimes money is a terrible thing...

I give example a: Gavin Wanganeen. :(

I'm not so sure that being revered so much in a small town like Geelong is such a good thing.

Dont read the wrong thing into this but his Dad was similarly revered and we know how his post-football life went...

His dad was always a loose cannon and, really, had a bit of a screw loose. I think Jr is a much more level-headed bloke even if he has inherited his father's reticence towards the media. So I don't foresee a post-career meltdown in his future.

Nothing new in this story...

Probably the last year for Geelong at the top with alot of players getting older and retiring I doubt GAJ wants to stay at a club that will start bottoming out when he is still peaking in his career...

Insted of staying at geelong and waiting for the rebuild to happen he can slot straight into a club that has recruited alot of talent and will start to rise.

Gary will leave you would be mad trying to carry a old and aged side while at your peak.

To be honest i'm not sure I'd take it. He's going to get over a million a year at Geelong and owns a fair wack of property in Geelong/Torquay so he's set for life regarding money. .

2m paycheck sounds great but it will comes with huge pressure to perform, a lot more media, uprooting from friends and family and the frustration of watching Geelong have another good couple of years while GC finds it's feet.

I still think it's even money on if he goes or stays

Player loyalty went out a longtime ago, sometimes money is a terrible thing...

I give example a: Gavin Wanganeen. :(

Thats a terrible example. Wanga came to Port Adelaide because he started his career there as a junior.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast Up Ablett Ante

Remove this Banner Ad

Back