Gold Coast - what the hell is happening here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel sorry for good kids drafted there

Reality is the Gold Coast public are more indifferent than the sydney sporting public which is saying something

They dont deserve a club

I just don't get how people can say this sort of stuff. Our crowd numbers are very healthy, in spite of the fact that our team is awful.

I don't want to drag down my expansion club brethren, but I think the crowds GWS are getting are/should be a bigger point of concern for the AFL. We got 17k to Metricon last week. That would have been GWS's biggest non-derby home and away crowd (and by some margin). If we had the on-field success they've had over the last two seasons, Metricon would be packed every week.

That being said, its all going to be for naught if we can't get something going on the field.

Tasmania has a tiny population spread across 2 cities and no growth potential.

What is the honest growth potential of the GC though? Sure there are people, but they have never shown an inclination to get behind a team of any of the sporting codes to try up there.

If we use the analogy of a disease, there are three groups of people; those infected, at risk, and immune.

Is it possible, given issues of player retention/club structure ect, that the GC is largely immune to AFL and so the real growth opportunity is negligible?

feel sorry for GCS.

Ablett really did a number on them, was happy to sign multi-million dollar deals to lead the club (despite not being a leader), and go into self-preservation mode in his last year to prep for another club despite the fact he signed a contract.

Then you have performances like today where the little master w***er is carrying on like a total idiot - celebrations for a performance that was a far cry from those in his final year. Appalling and absolutely disgusting.

I just don't get how people can say this sort of stuff. Our crowd numbers are very healthy, in spite of the fact that our team is awful.

I don't want to drag down my expansion club brethren, but I think the crowds GWS are getting are/should be a bigger point of concern for the AFL. We got 17k to Metricon last week. That would have been GWS's biggest non-derby home and away crowd (and by some margin). If we had the on-field success they've had over the last two seasons, Metricon would be packed every week.

That being said, its all going to be for naught if we can't get something going on the field.
Actually it wouldn't be our biggest non derby home crowd at all.
But yeah you do average better crowds than us. It's absurd for people to draw conclusions on the long term future of a club based on a game. Take comfort from the fact no one who matters will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

feel sorry for GCS.

Ablett really did a number on them, was happy to sign multi-million dollar deals to lead the club (despite not being a leader), and go into self-preservation mode in his last year to prep for another club despite the fact he signed a contract.

Then you have performances like today where the little master w***er is carrying on like a total idiot - celebrations for a performance that was a far cry from those in his final year. Appalling and absolutely disgusting.

lol

The Suns are a total disaster.. completely uncompetitive, no fans and will need to be propped up by the AFL forever..

The sooner the morons running the game bite the bullet with this franchise and put a team in either Canberra or Tasmania, the better..

Agree with this, despite never really being a finals threat Gold Coast crowds have always averaged more that GWS except for 2017 but GWS we’re looking like a premiership threat.

Today they reckon they had 7100, Dunstall said the crowd didn’t look near that figure, Certainly didn’t look that, in a 25000 seat stadium that is 28%. The top level was shut, and the bottom level bays were no where near 25% full, only maybe on centre wing.

But yeah you do average better crowds than us. It's absurd for people to draw conclusions on the long term future of a club based on a game. Take comfort from the fact no one who matters will.

AFL Tables has your highest non-derby H&A home crowd at 15k vs the eagles.

feel sorry for GCS.

LOL.

Agree with this, despite never really being a finals threat Gold Coast crowds have always averaged more that GWS except for 2017 but GWS we’re looking like a premiership threat.

We averaged higher in 2017 - 13,456 at Spotless vs 14,017 at Metricon

feel sorry for GCS.

Gablett wanted to go after 2016 and the suns made him stay

GWS are relatively successful on field, or at least show signs of potential to be. Crowds grow as teams win games.

GC are almost in a worse position than they were when they came in regarding their players and results. At least their was optimism about the future initially.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast - what the hell is happening here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back