Golden Rivers FL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ultima havent got a strong local player base, which means they need to recruit farely heavily to be a top side. it is obviously hard to do that every year so thats why they find themselves at the wrong end of the ladder. sides like murrabit, wandella, and nully all have strong local representation which allows them to still be competitive in their leaner years. thats what i reckon anyway.

Also dont forget about 9 years ago Ultima went through a period of about 3 or 4 years without an Under 17 side. Any young locals that were left needed to go elsewhere to play. So they lost a few in that period added to the going away for work/uni thing as well. Not to mention good players who have played for the roos in juniors that have for various reasons at different stages moved to other clubs. Luke and Matt O'Toole, Marcus Nalder, and Lance Brown all played together in the minis (at a young age) one year at the roos

Also dont forget about 9 years ago Ultima went through a period of about 3 or 4 years without an Under 17 side. Any young locals that were left needed to go elsewhere to play. So they lost a few in that period added to the going away for work/uni thing as well. Not to mention good players who have played for the roos in juniors that have for various reasons at different stages moved to other clubs. Luke and Matt O'Toole, Marcus Nalder, and Lance Brown all played together in the minis (at a young age) one year at the roos

mate, no question the roos have had some great local talent, but the fact still remains that they dont have a strong local playing base. if they had a lot of talented locals playing they wouldnt be bottom of the ladder in every grade. As i mentioned earlier, sides with a good pool of locals only seem to slide to 4th or 5th and still remain competitive.
if this is not the reason then why are they struggling??

finals race is hotting up. Below is the run home for the contenders.

My selections in bold.

Nully 28pts Ultima, Moula, Mac, Mur, Wak. 44pts

Wakool 26pts Moula, Wan, Mac, Mur, Bye, Nul. 34pts
Moula 20pts Wak, Nul, Hay, Quam, Ult, Bye. 28pts
Macorna 20pts Bye, Mur, Wak, Nul, Hay, Quam. 24pts
Quamby 16pts Hay, Bye, Ult, Moula, Wan, Mac. 32pts

You can draw you own conclusions, but some crunch games coming up. Wakool v Moula, Wakool v Macorna, Moula v quamby, Quamby v Macorna.

I fancy that the winner out of this weeks clash between the hawks and the swans will fill the fourth position.

You have left a pretty important game out between Nully and Wandella at Nully Bear...your thoughts??

mate, no question the roos have had some great local talent, but the fact still remains that they dont have a strong local playing base. if they had a lot of talented locals playing they wouldnt be bottom of the ladder in every grade. As i mentioned earlier, sides with a good pool of locals only seem to slide to 4th or 5th and still remain competitive.
Who has been the most successful side in the GFL in the past 5 years mate....and throughout the GFL's history? Don't you worry about the roo's mate!!! They're probably still hungover from the three flags in a row just a while back!

I havent seen very much of them in the last few years, but I agree with you, there isnt a lot of great local talent. Was just saying that not having 3rds for a few years and loosing good local talent to other leagues/uni/work may be part of the reason for the lack of local talent there at the moment

Also 4th or 5th in the GFL is not that competitive with (previously) moula and macorna, wakool having a few tough years.

Also 4th or 5th in the GFL is not that competitive with (previously) moula and macorna, wakool having a few tough years.

I am not a GRFL man but i reckon anyone who questions or knocks ultima is a very silly man. Probably one of the best country clubs that there has been. The do not need to rely on true locals to be successful. Having said that some of their greatest players are true Ultima people eg the Evan Wilsons and Luke O'Tolles of the world

Who has been the most successful side in the GFL in the past 5 years mate....and throughout the GFL's history? Don't you worry about the roo's mate!!! They're probably still hungover from the three flags in a row just a while back!

Also think Ultima might of had a few years down the lower end of the ladder just before they won those 3 also. Second or third last one or two years before at least.

If you are looking for consistency over the past few years, i would have to say wandella, murrabit and nullawil. Why is it that there locals stay or head back to the club and ultima's dont? Farming has struggled in the past i spose, but that has been the same everywhere. And from what i know, Ultima has a good social club also. it's just a mystery i think. i dont like it how clubs just load up for maybe one or two years and then they go to shit again. its called buying a premiership, i i tell u what, they may have 3 flags in a row, but it could cost them in the long run. i here lalbert are struggling. Any merg talks

If you are looking for consistency over the past few years, i would have to say wandella, murrabit and nullawil. Why is it that there locals stay or head back to the club and ultima's dont? Farming has struggled in the past i spose, but that has been the same everywhere. And from what i know, Ultima has a good social club also. it's just a mystery i think. i dont like it how clubs just load up for maybe one or two years and then they go to shit again. its called buying a premiership, i i tell u what, they may have 3 flags in a row, but it could cost them in the long run. i here lalbert are struggling. Any merg talks

good call mildred:thumbsu:
instead of answering questions on their current position they get defensive and and hide behind past glorys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No need to get all defensive boys!! I don't think they are trying to have a crack at Ultima or any of they great players they have produced, just trying to get an idea of why they are struggling at the moment??
Maybe depth or number of local players is the way the argument should have been worded as obviously the roos don't think local talent has been a problem??

See korpy got his mug in the herald sun today. Had someones tooth stuck in his head for 3 weeks.

Quite funny circumstances to say the least! Happened at the end of the 2nd quarter when playing Wakool. required stitches, and after a lot of muckin around nothing was found. Korpy was @ his joint Fridy nite cleanin it out, when i tooth emereged from the wound, pretty funny stuff!

So the Wakool bloke who lost his tooth in that game, Korpy has it!! haha

good call mildred:thumbsu:
instead of answering questions on their current position they get defensive and and hide behind past glorys.

Why not bring us past glories? I dare say it will be a long time before anyone equals or betters their conquests...

You need to look at Ultima from the perspective that unlike the other mentioned teams they dont have to compete with as many different teams trying to scout their players because of the their close proximity to Swan Hill and CMFL teams. When they had a few dull years prior to the 3-peat you will notice not many local talents on their list and all it takes is one or two to commit to coming back and you get the rest coming with it. For example at winning of the first premiership, when both O'Tooles got back on the bandwagon so did Wilson (even Evan pulled on the boots), Atkins, Petzke etc., and with them you saw the likes of Matt Palmer and Brad Carroll filtering through the ranks and with any luck that will happen in the next few years...

From this season to last Ultima lost 3 regular senior players that were homegrown locals to University being Lachlan O'Toole, Lee Bull and Simon Nalder, while they are not stars just yet they well and truly held down a spot.

All locals should be given the opportunity to pursue their footy and family life elsewhere and unfortunatly has seemed to all happen in one go. Matt and Lachlan O'Toole live and play in Bendigo, Brett Aitken works and plays in Donald, Petzke retired, Luke O'Toole playing with brother in law and lifelong friends, Simin Nalder in Wagga, Lee Bull playing in Bendigo, Dean Young enjoying family life in Bendigo and not playing footy. All of which is fair enough

In Ultimas current side you have locals like;
Sam Cleary - runner up best and fairest 2 years ago behind Luke O'Toole
Ayars boys - kids arent stars but both give 110%
Luke Wilson - nothing has to be said about him
Stew Broussard - top 10 in goal kicking with only 2 wins and travels week in week out back from Uni in Ballarat
Dean Farrell - 300 plus games need i say more
Ben Merritt - Rookie of the year nominee (dunno if he won it) first year out of 3rds
Brendan Kelly - been out there for years
Fred Grey and Johnny Young - both loyal servants of the club and have been in and out all year filling the spot when it is necessary
Mahon boys - have an impressive heritage at Ultima as well as Tyntynder

Although most arent to the calibre of O'Tooles, Petzke and the like they are all still locals and giving their all week in week out for the club.

Why not bring us past glories? I dare say it will be a long time before anyone equals or betters their conquests...

You need to look at Ultima from the perspective that unlike the other mentioned teams they dont have to compete with as many different teams trying to scout their players because of the their close proximity to Swan Hill and CMFL teams. When they had a few dull years prior to the 3-peat you will notice not many local talents on their list and all it takes is one or two to commit to coming back and you get the rest coming with it. For example at winning of the first premiership, when both O'Tooles got back on the bandwagon so did Wilson (even Evan pulled on the boots), Atkins, Petzke etc., and with them you saw the likes of Matt Palmer and Brad Carroll filtering through the ranks and with any luck that will happen in the next few years...

From this season to last Ultima lost 3 regular senior players that were homegrown locals to University being Lachlan O'Toole, Lee Bull and Simon Nalder, while they are not stars just yet they well and truly held down a spot.

All locals should be given the opportunity to pursue their footy and family life elsewhere and unfortunatly has seemed to all happen in one go. Matt and Lachlan O'Toole live and play in Bendigo, Brett Aitken works and plays in Donald, Petzke retired, Luke O'Toole playing with brother in law and lifelong friends, Simin Nalder in Wagga, Lee Bull playing in Bendigo, Dean Young enjoying family life in Bendigo and not playing footy. All of which is fair enough

In Ultimas current side you have locals like;
Sam Cleary - runner up best and fairest 2 years ago behind Luke O'Toole
Ayars boys - kids arent stars but both give 110%
Luke Wilson - nothing has to be said about him
Stew Broussard - top 10 in goal kicking with only 2 wins and travels week in week out back from Uni in Ballarat
Dean Farrell - 300 plus games need i say more
Ben Merritt - Rookie of the year nominee (dunno if he won it) first year out of 3rds
Brendan Kelly - been out there for years
Fred Grey and Johnny Young - both loyal servants of the club and have been in and out all year filling the spot when it is necessary
Mahon boys - have an impressive heritage at Ultima as well as Tyntynder

Although most arent to the calibre of O'Tooles, Petzke and the like they are all still locals and giving their all week in week out for the club.
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: I think u just took the BAIT :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

One would say historically Murrabit was the most successful GRFL/KDFL team in history... if they hadn't choked as poorly as Collingwood during the Dietrich era they may have been even more successful... money can't buy you everything though!

GRFL needs to readmit Lakes, Appin and Rovers and get the old tradition back. There was nothing like ripping your knees open on the bike track at Alexandra Park or freezing to death at Mystic Park.

Is Josh Bray back playing 1st yet for murrabit, if so hows his form been?

And on another note, moula would have to be shattered by the fact that there not gonna make the finals? The biggest chance they've had for i dont no how many years and by the talk on here they were premiers for sure!!! Good to see murrabit put them back in there hole on the weekend! you'd have to wonder how many of the moula recurits will stick round next year???????????

And on another note, moula would have to be shattered by the fact that there not gonna make the finals? The biggest chance they've had for i dont no how many years and by the talk on here they were premiers for sure!!! Good to see murrabit put them back in there hole on the weekend! you'd have to wonder how many of the moula recurits will stick round next year???????????

The feeling around the club is that we are going to keep what we have got and build on it... I still think we are heading in the right direction. Don't write us off yet.. you wouldn't want a few of us swannies on here shoving all this back in your face would we!

The moula recruits will stick around. Even though where not where we thought we would be at this point of the season, the feeling around the club is great. You have to remember we have not won this many games in a season since 2003, and it will only get better, we are finally starting to get a bit of stabillity around the club, with same people sticking around not only on the field but on the board. It is also the first time since Alex Buckley coached in 95, 96 that we have had the same senior coach for two years in a row. :thumbsu:

Yep Josh is back playing! His form is good, but will hit peak form come finals i reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back