Golden Rivers FL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every clubs having the same problem but i cant see a successful league without ppl fielding seconds.
Last yr when we played Hay it was a terrible day without the 2's, and honestly cant see the league functioning without 2nds!
If 2 or 3 clubs cant field a reserves, then the likes of Murrabit will lose players to Kerang, and we'll lose bendigo n swan hill blokes therefore 2's footy will be non existant!!!!
Clubs may have to fill bus loads of guys from bendigo to make the numbers as most teams around bendigo get 50+ attend trainings pre season

I doubt this would be your stance if the shoe was on the other foot.

It may be difficult for you to understand being from Murrabit, but some clubs are struggling big time to field reserves and I can assure you its not through a lack of trying!

Mate it's not a case of what club you are from the league would suffer not just the opposing clubs. We cannot afford to allow clubs not field a reserve team.

Murrabit hasn't always been as fortunate as it is now, in the 80's numbers were low, perfomance was low but the club survived. So i do understand, try harder.

Mate it's not a case of what club you are from the league would suffer not just the opposing clubs. We cannot afford to allow clubs not field a reserve team.

Murrabit hasn't always been as fortunate as it is now, in the 80's numbers were low, perfomance was low but the club survived. So i do understand, try harder.
I agree it's a terrible thing for the league. I can tell you that being prominently involved in one of the clubs in this position is not a nice feeling, cannot pull players out of thin air.
It's important people understand the seriousness of the issue, it's not about trying harder, players are either around or their not.
The likelihood of clubs folding/merging including my club is very real, and sooner than you think. We will feild seconds this year, but there are no guarantees beyond that for seconds footy or the club in general.

I think unless several football playing families move to the area, or a bus load of players turns up on our doorstep, or we get 15 inches during the growing season and have plenty of cash to splash around then the future of our club and that of a few others is very uncertain beyond this season.

Maybe clubs need to have a look at who they are paying and how much they pay them?
Instead of getting a player for $600 spend $150 on four of them to boost the player numbers.

Maybe clubs need to have a look at who they are paying and how much they pay them?
Instead of getting a player for $600 spend $150 on four of them to boost the player numbers.
If you can name any senior footballers, barring locals, who are prepared to travel over 70kms, 140km round trip twice a week as week as well as play on Saturdays and travel as far as Hay, whom are prepared to do this for $150 a week then let me know. Trust me they don't exist and we'd rather fold than pay seconds players to secure 2 sides.
Once upon a time this may have been possible but why would someone do this travelling when they can get $300 up the road as an average player in a major league.

If you can name any senior footballers, barring locals, who are prepared to travel over 70kms, 140km round trip twice a week as week as well as play on Saturdays and travel as far as Hay, whom are prepared to do this for $150 a week then let me know. Trust me they don't exist and we'd rather fold than pay seconds players to secure 2 sides.
Once upon a time this may have been possible but why would someone do this travelling when they can get $300 up the road as an average player in a major league.

Yeah Quamby has a habit of getting these sort of players out there...

Yeah Quamby has a habit of getting these sort of players out there...
Think you have missed my point. Stating that you will never get 4 players for $600 if they are any good doing that amount of travel. If they are resonable players they would get double this at a club just round the corner eg Swan Hill based, with the additional lure of playing major league football. Murrabit and Wandella to some extent have been blessed with good quantities of local talent and may never experience the problems that other clubs have when it comes to recruiting.
But there's no need to take a cheap shot Tee, it's common knowledge that Murrabit were the highest bidder for Kingwell last year, so your still spending plenty.

Think you have missed my point. Stating that you will never get 4 players for $600 if they are any good doing that amount of travel. If they are resonable players they would get double this at a club just round the corner eg Swan Hill based, with the additional lure of playing major league football. Murrabit and Wandella to some extent have been blessed with good quantities of local talent and may never experience the problems that other clubs have when it comes to recruiting.
But there's no need to take a cheap shot Tee, it's common knowledge that Murrabit were the highest bidder for Kingwell last year, so your still spending plenty.

And you may have missed mine, to keep a club running we may have to stop paying big bucks for quality and look more at quantiy you dont have to pay seconds players if you have more senior players without a price on their heads. But having said that I do see your argument that there are not many up swan hill way without a high price on their head regardless of their talent.

And you may have missed mine, to keep a club running we may have to stop paying big bucks for quality and look more at quantiy you dont have to pay seconds players if you have more senior players without a price on their heads. But having said that I do see your argument that there are not many up swan hill way without a high price on their head regardless of their talent.

Before we get to carried away with whether teams will or will not field a reserves side this yr how are teams looking with numbers on the training track? Also why would players need to do 140 km round trips twice a week for training when if teams were fair dinkum about getting numbers and paying them training once would be enough. The team i used to play for Moulamein - I think half of us only training once or not at all (especially as a team) and got really good numbers to games.

where do these players get the notion that they are worth so much money for 2 hours of effort on a saturday, what they are doing is putting clubs into recess, where will they get payed these prices then when there is no club left

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woomelang were the highest bidder.

Before we get to carried away with whether teams will or will not field a reserves side this yr how are teams looking with numbers on the training track? Also why would players need to do 140 km round trips twice a week for training when if teams were fair dinkum about getting numbers and paying them training once would be enough. The team i used to play for Moulamein - I think half of us only training once or not at all (especially as a team) and got really good numbers to games.
If players are being paid it is their obligation to train twice a week. Also helps with fitness they reckon.

Precisely

Ash Wilson must be making a good first impression out at bomberland judging by clearances and the quality of players leaving

Yes Trent, I see there is quite a few. From their grand final side there is a half back flanker, two on-ballers and a bench player (being the best player out of the lot of em').:thumbsu:
All the talk of Bott into Kerang yet to be seen on paper the only posititive it would seem out at bomber land.:confused:

With all the clearances coming into Moula it would seem there is an abundance of players, the likes of Quamby, Kool and Hay should give a few of the moula boys a ring and try to get em out there. Almost a bloody new side up there in moultown!:D

http://www.grfl.vcfl.com.au/memdb_transfers.asp

when clubs are recruiting players, do they ever look past the current year. clubs need to try and get players that will stay on, be involved with the club. these seem to be the guys who are a bit older and more often than not have families. these people seem to fit in better and therfore last longer, often ending up playing more as a local than an outsider. there are plenty of these players around, macorna, nully and murrabit seem to find them. where as other clubs pay big money for young guys, play for one year and get not much in return.
this maybe easier said than done, but it seems money better spent in the long run.

Yes Trent, I see there is quite a few. From their grand final side there is a half back flanker, two on-ballers and a bench player (being the best player out of the lot of em').:thumbsu:
All the talk of Bott into Kerang yet to be seen on paper the only posititive it would seem out at bomber land.:confused:

With all the clearances coming into Moula it would seem there is an abundance of players, the likes of Quamby, Kool and Hay should give a few of the moula boys a ring and try to get em out there. Almost a bloody new side up there in moultown!:D

http://www.grfl.vcfl.com.au/memdb_transfers.asp

Well i hope the boys exiting the bombers remember to leave their ''choke'' chains out in the Salt Lake :thumbsu::thumbsu:

You'll also find that Harvey, Harrower, Kearney, Wheatley etc from out at Wakool haven't put any sort of clearances in either Pickin????

http://www.grfl.vcfl.com.au/memdb_transfers.asp[/quote]

Mate, not sure many Moula players would leave as they're pretty keen to win a premiership both in seniors and reserves. Knowing all the local boys they're down to earth and wouldn't care if they play seniors or reserves.

Saying that - Some of these clubs running short on numbers should have a chat to them as I could be completely wrong and no harm in trying.

I just had a look at the transfers and it will be a new Moulamein especialy if there all ones players. Hopefully everyone gets along like they did when I was there.

when clubs are recruiting players, do they ever look past the current year. clubs need to try and get players that will stay on, be involved with the club. these seem to be the guys who are a bit older and more often than not have families. these people seem to fit in better and therfore last longer, often ending up playing more as a local than an outsider. there are plenty of these players around, macorna, nully and murrabit seem to find them. where as other clubs pay big money for young guys, play for one year and get not much in return.
this maybe easier said than done, but it seems money better spent in the long run.

Easier said then done.... Players won't go to a club that isn't winning games so money needs to be paid initially to good players who may only stck around for a yr or 2 and most likely as Moula has this yr got a heap of players coming accross who hopefully will stick around now.

I'd just like to know when the cmfl boys are going to take their heads out of their arses and realise they are not a major league....the major leagues are bendigo, ballarat, geelong, o&m and goulburn valley...cmfl is no more than the many middle range leagues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back