Good to see an equitable draw at last.

Remove this Banner Ad

Timbothecat

Debutant
May 23, 2005
Other Teams
Geelong
This week Essendon (4 day break) play Hawthorn (8 day break). WTF mate?:eek:

Then again when you look at Hawthorns draw throughout the year you can't really begrudge them this little piece of good fortune I suppose.

Timbothecat said:

Then again when you look at Hawthorns draw throughout the year you can't really begrudge them this little piece of good fortune I suppose.

Round 2, Crows played West Coast on Sunday. The week before West Coast played on Thursday Night, we played Monday Night. This draw is deadset a joke. I reckon anyone that doesnt work at AFL House could put together a better draw.

It doesn't seem to make much sense, does it?

Hawthorn should win on Sunday, 4 extra days break will be a big advantage. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. Mind you, I won't be using it as an excuse, if we play good enough we can still win but I think a decent 1/2 time lead will be essential.

That's why I rate the Crows so highly raikkonen. They aren't playing that flash at present but are doing enough to win/come close. I get the feeling that come the 1/2 way point they'll be flying and ready to peak at the pointy end of the season. Hopefully Geelong are priming themselves in much the same way (though I doubt that's the case) but I really think the Crows are the team to beat this season.

waspy said:
It doesn't seem to make much sense, does it?

Hawthorn should win on Sunday, 4 extra days break will be a big advantage. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. Mind you, I won't be using it as an excuse, if we play good enough we can still win but I think a decent 1/2 time lead will be essential.

Spot on Waspy. Imagine the uproar had this happened to Eddiewood for example.:eek: :p

Does this mean that Essendon are no longer a league heavyweight? ;) :cool:

raikkonen said:
Round 2, Crows played West Coast on Sunday. The week before West Coast played on Thursday Night, we played Monday Night. This draw is deadset a joke. I reckon anyone that doesnt work at AFL House could put together a better draw.

Yep, imagine having to play at home after a 6 day break :rolleyes: I mean West Coast played Richmond at home the following week on a 6 day break (Richmond had 8) and we just fell over the line.;)

Teams play on 6 day breaks every week and Crows supporters need to move on. You lost against us because you were beaten by a better team on the day and 6 day breaks are bloody standard and it was week 2 of the season (when teams are at their fittest).

5 day breaks are a bigger issue but if Anzac Day falls midweek and the Pies/Bombers are so keen to play then, they have to cop it - I mean next year Anzac Day falls on a Wednesday - theoretically, they would play the following weekend on a maximum 4 day break - God knows how they will organise that!

Cheers.

Hopefully next year they have us both on Friday in round 4 (two friday games, one can go on Fox Footy), then the Wednesday game as the first game of round 5. Then we both have a 5 day break (fair for both) and we both get a decent break before Round 6 where one would play on Friday and one on Saturday. It wouldn't be a significant disadvantage to the team playing us in Round 6 because Ess and Coll have had a tough game without a big break before and really only get 2 extra days break.

Eagle87 said:
5 day breaks are a bigger issue but if Anzac Day falls midweek and the Pies/Bombers are so keen to play then, they have to cop it - I mean next year Anzac Day falls on a Wednesday - theoretically, they would play the following weekend on a maximum 4 day break - God knows how they will organise that!
Cheers.

Anzac Day on Wednesday will be the first game of the round.

In the previous round Collingwood and Essendon would have been scheduled to play on Thursday or Friday night (either 2 games on Friday night or 1 Thurs, 1 Fri)

Timbothecat said:

Its a 5 day break, you dont play on Saturday

Anyway, it seems the logical thing to do with the draw would be for Essendon to play the Saints (Pies v Port is this Sunday) as the Saints had just 1/2 a day extra and a flight back to contend with

But, thats does make too much sense now... hopefully they work it out next year, with a potential Tuesday night fixture

PS. Next year will most likely be that Collingwood and Essendon will both play Friday night matches, as they did in 2001

mdunn27 said:
Its a 5 day break, you dont play on Saturday

Anyway, it seems the logical thing to do with the draw would be for Essendon to play the Saints (Pies v Port is this Sunday) as the Saints had just 1/2 a day extra and a flight back to contend with

But, thats does make too much sense now... hopefully they work it out next year, with a potential Tuesday night fixture

PS. Next year will most likely be that Collingwood and Essendon will both play Friday night matches, as they did in 2001
If we have a 5 day break then Hawthorn have 9. They have 4 more days than us, however you look at it.

Timbothecat said:

Essendon's is a 5 day break, which although is unacceptable, is used when clubs play between Monday-Thursday.

Fly to Western Australia ----> Fly to Brisbane ---> Fly to Melbourne (Carlton get one day less, and they stayed in Melbourne)..

Draw = Joke. And not only for Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yea, let's talk about a fair draw.
Rounds 4-7 for the Saints. Four games in 19 days!!!!!!!!
Round 4 vs Port Adelaide (AAMI). Round 5 vs Freo (Tassie).
Round 6 vs Bulldogs (Telstra). Round 7 vs Geelong (Telstra)

Any other team have a tougher run of 4 games?
No doubt the AFL wanted to make it as difficult as possible on the Saints this season.
When are we gonna get to play Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood twice in the one season? The draw's a bigger joke than the AFL, and that's saying something.

BakesFan said:

No doubt the AFL wanted to make it as difficult as possible on the Saints this season.
When are we gonna get to play Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood twice in the one season? The draw's a bigger joke than the AFL, and that's saying something.

Adelaide Rnds 1 to 4.

And dont whinge about going to Tassie, you do it on your own accord.

raikkonen said:

It should cease to be called a draw. A draw implies that games are set at random. That hasn't happened in the AFL in living memory. I think you'll find they don't even call it a draw. Its called a fixture, with "fix" being the operative point.

jourgo said:
It should cease to be called a draw. A draw implies that games are set at random. That hasn't happened in the AFL in living memory. I think you'll find they don't even call it a draw. Its called a fixture, with "fix" being the operative point.

LOL :D :thumbsu: I agree

pjcrows said:
Adelaide Rnds 1 to 4.

And dont whinge about going to Tassie, you do it on your own accord.

Where did I whinge about going to Tassie???

My whinge was about 4 games in 19 days, and the fact that Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon don't face us twice each year.

rfctigerarmy said:
Fly to Western Australia ----> Fly to Brisbane ---> Fly to Melbourne (Carlton get one day less, and they stayed in Melbourne)..

Draw = Joke. And not only for Richmond.

geez, after the blessed run with draws richmond has had in the last couple of years, I think you need to take the bad with the good.

And if essendon wants to play on saturday next year and give the anzac day match to the doggies, we'll take it!

BakesFan said:

Ah 4 games in 19 days for the poor old Saints.

Round 4 Mon 24 Apr Port Adelaide Football Park
Round 5 Sun 30 Apr Fremantle York Park
Round 6 Sat 6 May Western Bulldogs Docklands Stadium
Round 7 Fri 12 May Geelong Docklands Stadium

Adelaide's first 4 rounds of the draw is worse than that mate.

Round 1 Mon 3 Apr Collingwood Docklands Stadium
Round 2 Sun 9 Apr West Coast Football Park
Round 3 Sun 16 Apr Melbourne Carrara
Round 4 Sat 22 Apr Fremantle Subiaco

Atleast you get to play 2 of your games at home.

Plus it was the Saint's choice to play at York Park.

So, realistically that could (& should) read 3 home games for the Saints with little travel at all.

The Crows only got the luxury of 1 home game whilst flying all over the bloody country.

All this, plus the time period for us was 4 games in 20 days.

I know which draw is harder.

Would you care to swap your 4 Saints games with the ones the Crows have ?

Surely as a follower of AFL you are aware that "All teams are equal, but some are more equal than others".

Interestingly, you have inadvertantly named in your post the very teams that travel the least, as well as, receiving the easiest draws.

jourgo said:

Fixture. Yeah that sounds about right. And I thought we had problems at the top level in the WGCA!:confused:

We will never have a fair draw until such a time as we have 2 conferences in the AFL. It wouldn't take that much to work it out but it may have teething problems for a couple of years until it is into full swing and unfortunately that's a risk the AFL are just too scared to take.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see an equitable draw at last.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back