Got a random question? Ask it here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have they admitted they got the pricing of rookies wrong (where they were above the standard national draft prices) and vowed to fix it for the coming year?

What does everyone think of Rusling:
-To injury prone or Bargain.

I'm not sure he'd be able to get into the team on a regular basis, but he has scoring potential. I wouldn't personally consider him for any spot higher than #9, purely because I can't see him as being in the best 22. Could be worth the risk though, as I'm not sure there's much quality there is at the lower end of the forward line.

Another guy who is too big of an injury risk. Every year he looks a bit of a bargain on paper but it is certain he will miss games and probably more than a few. When he is fit he is a reasonable scorer but not elite so I would stay away. I talked myself into him last year and lived to regret it.

Another guy who is too big of an injury risk. Every year he looks a bit of a bargain on paper but it is certain he will miss games and probably more than a few. When he is fit he is a reasonable scorer but not elite so I would stay away.
But burton has had excellent scoring capacity previously though:

2003 = 90.1
2004 = 84.0
2005 = 79.5
2006 = 88.0
2008 = 84.3

Priced at 240ish (average of 52) from memory, there surely appears to be some potential value there. And whilst he does have injury concerns, from memory he will get a full preseason, and he also only needs to play the first 8-10 games to increase in value before upgrading to a fallen premium. Hasnt he also trimmed down a bit and been working hard on his running perhaps with the view to push onto the wing at times?

One to keep in contention as a mid pricer, though Id never consider him a potential keeper due to his lack of durability over the course of a season.

I talked myself into him last year and lived to regret it.

I think the good Dters learn from their mistakes, but also dont let player specific occurances cloud their judgement.

For example, you said you got burnt by him last year? Well, What did you learn? Dont pick players who are basically fully priced, but have massive injury worries. So keep this in mind this year when you pick your premiums.

I also think the good DTers can judge a players value based on their current situation (price, role, upside, fitness, etc) without letting a previous experience with the player (ie getting burnt by then) clouding their judgement. Take chapman for example - many people had got burnt by him before, and thus immediately overlooked him this year when he appeared to be very undervalued. The good DTers are able to just look at the facts - full preseason, new running style (?), midfield role in a high possession team, potentially best premium in his position (forwards), massive upside, etc whilst also considering his durability and the associated "numbers" (ie 19 games at 115 being just as good as 22 games at 100). They didnt just right him off and think "Chapman - nup, he burnt me last year", they judge each player on their new circumstances of every year.

Its kinda hard to get across what im trying to say, but I hope that makes sense.

This year was the first year he played in a stacked forward line. There is plenty of competition for points in the Adelaide forward line. You also know he is going to get injured and miss games it is going to be a risk about when that happens. The last 4 years he has played 7, 13, 17, 16. He is getting less durable and not more.

I agree but they wouldn't have signed him on for another year if they didn't have plans/ a role for him. What needs to also be taken into consideration is the fact that when he averaged so well in '06 and '08 he was basically a primary forward at stages. Now with tippett, porpoise, danger (last year), walker, etc he doesn't have to be the lone soul up there. I just think that if they signed him on for another they will use him, he isn't someone you would sign for depth reasons. He won the time trial and has always been regarded along with VB as the fittest at the club. As lakey stated perfectly if you get 8 games out of him he has done his job and will be ripe for the upgrade.

Priced at 240ish (average of 52) from memory, there surely appears to be some potential value there. And whilst he does have injury concerns, from memory he will get a full preseason, and he also only needs to play the first 8-10 games to increase in value before upgrading to a fallen premium. Hasnt he also trimmed down a bit and been working hard on his running perhaps with the view to push onto the wing at times?

One to keep in contention as a mid pricer, though Id never consider him a potential keeper due to his lack of durability over the course of a season.

I think the good Dters learn from their mistakes, but also dont let player specific occurances cloud their judgement.

For example, you said you got burnt by him last year? Well, What did you learn? Dont pick players who are basically fully priced, but have massive injury worries. So keep this in mind this year when you pick your premiums.

I also think the good DTers can judge a players value based on their current situation (price, role, upside, fitness, etc) without letting a previous experience with the player (ie getting burnt by then) clouding their judgement. Take chapman for example - many people had got burnt by him before, and thus immediately overlooked him this year when he appeared to be very undervalued. The good DTers are able to just look at the facts - full preseason, new running style (?), midfield role in a high possession team, potentially best premium in his position (forwards), massive upside, etc whilst also considering his durability and the associated "numbers" (ie 19 games at 115 being just as good as 22 games at 100). They didnt just right him off and think "Chapman - nup, he burnt me last year", they judge each player on their new circumstances of every year.

Its kinda hard to get across what im trying to say, but I hope that makes sense.
I did not realize Burton was that cheap and at that price it does make him pretty tempting to pick up if his pre season keeps going how it is atm.

Chapman has burnt me 3 years running, he gets so many good scores which makes it so tempting to get him but each time i get him he gets injured a week or 2 after with his hammy and then he never gets me a decent score:mad:

I did manage to finish top 100 in both competitions this year and had a top 100 the year before as well Lakey :confused:

You could make arguments that Chappy was both a mistake and a good selection given he upped his average to 112 but did miss games again this year in a couple of bursts.

I learnt from the mistake last year of taking a risk on Burton's body. He was again attractively priced this year but I did not take a risk on him. I did take Chappy this year but made sure I had cover and did not have too many injury risks in the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did manage to finish top 100 in both competitions this year and had a top 100 the year before as well Lakey :confused:

Yeh I know you have performed well, it was more a general guidance - was just an example of how people (in general) should learn from their mistakes, was just using your point as an example.

With the Chappy situation, a lot of it has to come down to how much other risk you are wearing. If Chappy was your biggest risk then it's a good one to take given the factors going for him as you mentioned Lakey. If however you weren't viewing Chappy as a risk or he was minimal compared to the rest of your side then I'd have to say you weren't looking hard enough. Learning about risk is something that happens over time. Chappy is just one factor in that risk.

The simple fact is Chappy is the defenition of Risk v Reward. Big numbers, but an almost certain multi-week injury. If he had gone backwards he would have been a disaster but his average went up and most can forget he only played 17 games last year. And the year before. And 16 the year before that...

I don't know of anyone who didn't have their arseh*le puckered tight about putting Chappy in. For those that had risk to spare he was well worth it but I'm sure he cost many many people a win during the DT finals and probably some fairly significant rankings drops too. One thing about Chappy is he has an uncanny knack of gettiing injured when you don't have the trades left to turf him.

Pick him from the start or not at all.

At the end of the day he probably got the same amount of points for you as what Deledio gave to you with a reserve that scored 50 each week he didnt play. But Chapman cost more money and a trade aswell.

I stay away from undurable players, its so important to pick players that will play 21,22 games

I'm a big DT fan it is this part of the site that attracted me to big footy and I finally registered!

Interesting talk about injuries, I avoid them if they have a history of dragging out. Some players like Luke Power recover really well, others like Chapman - not so much.

My random question is if you have a choice between two players, how do you make the final decision? Over-analyse or toss a coin? Sometimes I invent new ways to make the final selection when stats and form don't really separate them I also look at games ahead of course.

Does anyone know if they AFL Prospectus box set (2006-2010) that is available now for pre-order on Champion Data's website will eventually be available in stores? I'm planning on buying the 2010 Prospectus anyway, but it'd be interesting to read through the past editions as well, as the 2009 edition was the first that I bought.

Does anyone know if they AFL Prospectus box set (2006-2010) that is available now for pre-order on Champion Data's website will eventually be available in stores? I'm planning on buying the 2010 Prospectus anyway, but it'd be interesting to read through the past editions as well, as the 2009 edition was the first that I bought.

Good question mate, not sure.

I'll ask Luffy and get back to you.

Parasite, I have the same problem, transferal of addictions.

Fantasy NBA
Fantasy Cricket
Fantasy Football (english version)

Fantasy Grassgrowing

If you can turn it into a Fantasy competition, I enter it.

Still struggling to think about DT, which is great. Might pick up the addiction in the new year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back