Got a random question? Ask it here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AFL record is a gun of a magazine. To answer your question YF, the NAB cup record has been around for a few years (i know i had an 08 and 09 one) so i assume it should be avaliable this year too. I guess it could be on the shelves any day now.

Got a random question here ppl. Who here plays both DT and Supercoach? I've never done the latter and was wondering wether it is worth doing both? How similar is it to DT and is it annoying having to monitior two teams throughout the season?

Got a random question here ppl. Who here plays both DT and Supercoach? I've never done the latter and was wondering wether it is worth doing both? How similar is it to DT and is it annoying having to monitior two teams throughout the season?

I play both, but I'm more into SC than DT, so I put more time into the former. Hard during the pre-season when you're looking at specific players that might suit SC and then have to change your mindset when looking at players who are more suited to DT. Plus factoring different prices and averages.

I like to run a team in both. I prefer SC so spend a little more time with that. But its good running a DT as well and can just have some fun with it and not worry so much about finishing positions and whether you make a poor trade or not. I like to pick my SC side first and then try and put together a DT using different players.

If someone has a contact in VS and has the ability to send me the complete list of

Team Names
Ranking

(I don't need anything else)

If it was in an excel format, that would be great.

I am looking to use this information for the Big Footy Divisions, just to double check that people are not telling me fibs.

If someone has a contact in VS and has the ability to send me the complete list of

Team Names
Ranking

(I don't need anything else)

If it was in an excel format, that would be great.

I am looking to use this information for the Big Footy Divisions, just to double check that people are not telling me fibs.

If they could maybe just tack on the player prices and positions for 2010 that would also be appreciated. :D

hey all just wondering if i was planning a mid price team structure. how many mid priced players would you pick?

I think the mid priced structure is mainly about not starting any rookies, maybe one at most. There is not a set amount of "mid priced" players you should aim for with regards to your team.

Instead of aiming for the top end keepers, most of your starting keepers fall between 5 to15th in total points.

For example.

Instead of selecting Chapman, Riewoldt, Didak, Johnson, Davis.

You may select Deledio, Brown, Franklin, Gian...

Then you add some mid priced players into the mix

Rioli, Medhurst, Hall, Burton, Dangerfield.

It is important that you attempt to not start any rookies, then you have the best rookies in each position sitting on the bench. So instead of having a Tapscott in the starting 22, they're sitting on your bench.

While it is not purely a mid priced strategy, if you were to start a rookie, it would normally be in the midfield as history tells us that the midfield has more depth of cheaper options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's a Tapscott?

Tarquin is right to a certain extent but there is a bit more to it - it is not about selecting mid priced per say. More likely minimising risk in some areas and looking for value picks.

Rookies eliminate themselves from the starting lineup to a large extent due to risk; Uberguns eliminate themselves by not offering value.

The "price" in mid price really is neither here nor there. If I feel Scott Lucas is priced 15 pts below his average I will pick him. If I feel Dane Swan is priced 15 points below his average I will pick him.

Why I say minimising risk in some areas is for example, I was happy to select say Chappy last year because when I put him on one side of the scales and his points potential on the other it was a reasonable bet, plus he had a P/S for the first time in a long time. You need to weigh up all these factors.

The strategy as I have said before really only refers to the starting line-up - after rd 1 it is about guns, but not about packing your side with them as soon as possible, it is about selecting them at a good price (a bit of a balancing act really as the quicker you get them in the more points they get you).

What's a Tapscott?

Tarquin is right to a certain extent but there is a bit more to it - it is not about selecting mid priced per say. More likely minimising risk in some areas and looking for value picks.

Rookies eliminate themselves from the starting lineup to a large extent due to risk; Uberguns eliminate themselves by not offering value.

The "price" in mid price really is neither here nor there. If I feel Scott Lucas is priced 15 pts below his average I will pick him. If I feel Dane Swan is priced 15 points below his average I will pick him.

Why I say minimising risk in some areas is for example, I was happy to select say Chappy last year because when I put him on one side of the scales and his points potential on the other it was a reasonable bet, plus he had a P/S for the first time in a long time. You need to weigh up all these factors.

The strategy as I have said before really only refers to the starting line-up - after rd 1 it is about guns, but not about packing your side with them as soon as possible, it is about selecting them at a good price (a bit of a balancing act really as the quicker you get them in the more points they get you).

Im looking into something like points increase per player in your starting squad. Im unsure if im going about it the right way and some of you mathamtical/top posters could help.

With how the salary is you will be able to get 22 players at an avg of 70 points (assuming you spend 800k on the reserves and soen your entire salary).

To win last year you needed 22 players (approx) 92 avg.

So if your lucky/skillful enough to pick 22 players that will all increase their scores by 22 points than you would win. But of course this isnt including the amount of points captains and trades can get you during the year. I used Dogs post in DT strategies about how many points trades could net you and how much good captain selections could net you. All up it was 2800 (2450 for trades and 350 for captains=2800)

So by minimising this from 47000 (winners score) you get 44 200 points.
44200/22 (rounds) = 2009 points per round/23 (players + 1 for captain) = 87 (approx)

So with this you need 17 points increase from your starting 22 each from their previous years avg. You might be thinking thats alot but if your starting J.Trengove than he could increase his avg from around 33 to about 73 (which is 40 points right there). Also because some players have a price cut due to injury (example Palmer: priced at 63 and could avg 90 or Ladson priced at 42 and he could avg 70-75 meaning a 30+ increase).

It really comes down to selecting guys that will increase in points on their previous avg, and not about selecting a certain amount of keepers or premiums. Just something im looking at. I might be right off the mark, but some food for thought and just an idea i had.

Interesting concept their DWD, the thing that needs to be added in though is trading. If for instance you trade Trengrove to Swan (who the averages 120 for the rest of the year). You then make up more points. It is good to have improvers in your team, but you do need your set of keepers, what happens if the some of the improvers don't improve...

Im looking into something like points increase per player in your starting squad. Im unsure if im going about it the right way and some of you mathamtical/top posters could help.

With how the salary is you will be able to get 22 players at an avg of 70 points (assuming you spend 800k on the reserves and soen your entire salary).

To win last year you needed 22 players (approx) 92 avg.

So if your lucky/skillful enough to pick 22 players that will all increase their scores by 22 points than you would win. But of course this isnt including the amount of points captains and trades can get you during the year. I used Dogs post in DT strategies about how many points trades could net you and how much good captain selections could net you. All up it was 2800 (2450 for trades and 350 for captains=2800)

So by minimising this from 47000 (winners score) you get 44 200 points.
44200/22 (rounds) = 2009 points per round/23 (players + 1 for captain) = 87 (approx)

So with this you need 17 points increase from your starting 22 each from their previous years avg. You might be thinking thats alot but if your starting J.Trengove than he could increase his avg from around 33 to about 73 (which is 40 points right there). Also because some players have a price cut due to injury (example Palmer: priced at 63 and could avg 90 or Ladson priced at 42 and he could avg 70-75 meaning a 30+ increase).

It really comes down to selecting guys that will increase in points on their previous avg, and not about selecting a certain amount of keepers or premiums. Just something im looking at. I might be right off the mark, but some food for thought and just an idea i had.

You're on the right track DWD.

Essentially what Skank is driving at is that DT is a game of value, but also a game of risk management. Risk could be injury, job security or suspension. You need to look at the players who will improve their average the most based on their level of risk. Skanks assessment of Chappy was a great example.

Look at a guy like Jesse Smith. Possibly one of the most undervalued players this year based on what he is capable of but the level of risk he brings with both job security and injury weighs the scales heavily in the other direction.

Then weigh up a guy like Palmer who is also underpriced, locked in the best 22, has had no injury history pre-knee and is recovering well and the value / risk assessment is completely different.

That's why Palmer will be in the top 5 most popular players this year (assuming he gets a discount) and Smith will not.

[Tarquin is right
:eek::eek::eek:

Bookmarked

Skank didn't hang himself right out to dry---he did qualify by adding "to a certain extent but there is a bit more to it";)

I'm not too sure where else to ask this question, but if your going with a mid-priced structure is it still worth starting a 'rookie'. ATM with my plan side I have no 'rookies' on the field but am considering starting Trengrove in the forwards instead of Vezpremi and I feel that Trengrove has better job security and he will average higher. From memory Skank started Otten last year (you could pretty much call him a 'rookie') so I'm guessing its just something that you can work around.

of corse you can start a rookie.

Here is one i created....

Enright, Duffield, Hodge, Buckley, Broadbent, Ladson, Kennelly em 2 * 90K

Bartel, Pendlebury, Mackay, Ward, Palmer, Martin em Cunnington, Jetta

Kreuzer, Tippett em 2 * 90K

Pavlich, Harvey, Rioli, Gray, Ziebell, Sidebottom, Dangerfield em 2 * 90K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back