Goulburn Valley FL - 2013 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Far to simplistic Blueboy. There are so many more factors that work for and against clubs other than population base. Club management, recent success, a reasonable prospect of success, family links, facilities, culture all count towards making a club attractive to recruits and retaining locals. Bears just aren't ticking enough boxes at the moment. Hopefully they can turn it around.

I actually agree with Ringo in the difficulties the bears have in the competitive Shep footy market. 4 major leauge clubs within a few minutes of each other (counting Mooroopna) along with Shep East, Ardy and Congupna nearby means that players have plenty of options if the Bears remain unattractive.

Town boundaries are less relevant nowadays anyway. Your example club Tatura has players from Shep, Mooroopna and Melbourne so it's not like they source exclusively from the 4500 in town.
Don't know if you can count Ardmona as drawing quality players away from GVFL clubs. Yes I agree it is not solely based on population but you have to consider that Mooroopna also has a population over 8000, which gives 4 clubs within the Shepp area 70,000 to draw from. I also appreciate that it doesn't mean anyone from Shepp or Mooroopna has to play from a club from that town but usually the volunteers will be locals. Don't, know what happened to Shepp, but they were a strength in the late 80's and early 90's when families like the Pattisons, Enders and Hallahans etc were heavily involved

Don't know if you can count Ardmona as drawing quality players away from GVFL clubs. Yes I agree it is not solely based on population but you have to consider that Mooroopna also has a population over 8000, which gives 4 clubs within the Shepp area 70,000 to draw from. I also appreciate that it doesn't mean anyone from Shepp or Mooroopna has to play from a club from that town but usually the volunteers will be locals. Don't, know what happened to Shepp, but they were a strength in the late 80's and early 90's when families like the Pattisons, Enders and Hallahans etc were heavily involved
Over recent years Shepparton Bears have benefitted from the Notre Dame factor where kids leave their local club, play for Notre Dame in the SDJFL and then move on to a Shepparton based club for U/18s. Obviously not every kid follows this path but it has happened. After thirds, the kids often leave the district with university or work or return to the original club. Similar situation existed in Bendigo when Marist junior teams became feeders for Sandhurst and Golden Square.

By Chalpat Sonti - our favourite football commentator as he certainly isnt a reporter

And here’s one for the clown posing as a Tatura supporter (assuming he can read) who was overheard by several Seymour people racially abusing Saad on Saturday. You have been warned. The next time the two sides’ paths cross and you continue with that type of sideline ‘‘comment’’ the Telegraph will have no hesitation in taking your picture and publishing it in this newspaper. Don’t say you weren’t told.

here is a tip as a reporter Chalpat that may actually help you. If you want to accuse people of doing the wrong thing be strong enough to use your name and threaten them yourself as "the telegraph" may not agree with your stance nor the way you think you will catch the culprit.

For all you other politically correct people I dont condone the abuse if it did actually happen or the reporting of the abuse. I think Saad has been one of the best players to play GV footy and love how he can change a game off his own boot. I just find it interesting that has only been reported in a losing football report from a colourful commentator who usually tries to sensationalise reports.

Anyone from Tat care to respond to the claim as would have thought if Seymour supporters heard it so would Tatura locals?

PS - Chalpat - did any Seymour player leave the ground with their reputation shattered and flogged by their opponent? I only read these lines when Seymour win. Why is that? Might need to dial it back abit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK Ringo let's look at the facts. A google search on population statistics shows that Shepp has a population of over 62,000. The same search shows Tat has a population of approx 4,500. Shepp divided by 3 major clubs gives them 20,000 each to draw from. Yep I agree the minor leagues do suck players out of Shepp at grossly overrated prices but Merrigum, Murch, Undera etc also take players from Tat too. Unfortunately, in my opinion cashed up clubs in minor leagues are paying players way above what they're worth and inflating the player payments way out of proportion.
Greater Shepparton council population is 62,000 not Shepparton City. Shepparton City has a population of around 30,000 and has 5 major league clubs and one minor league club taking into account Rumbalara and Congupna in Murray League and Shepparton East in Picola league. Tatura one team for 4,500 people. Euroa one for 3,500 people. Mansfield one for 4,500. Seymour one for 6,500 people. Mooroopna and Kyabram have one team for around 7,000 people each but then you have alot of KDFL teams in close proximity. Echuca/Moama have 3 major league teams for around 18,000 people and Benalla has one major league and one minor league club for around 10,000 people....so I think the average population for teams in the area is pretty even.

Benalla VS Tatura this week... One of the biggest games of the season?? 2 V 3 on the ladder and only 2 points seperating both sides.

Can anyone from the swans shed some light on why chris egan has been dropped?!? Form or something else?!?

Egan not named in 2s, be amazed if he doesn't play seniors!!!

Also rumours Dan Collyer dropped from Mooroopna Side...Hank can you shed light here?

Collyer and Egan wouldn't be two of the hardest workers you wouldn't think
Yeah Collyer in the twos, missed last week through suspension, first night on the track last night since his last game a fortnight ago.

For those who don't get the Shepparton News can you tell us what he said
Two page spread, nothing untoward. Said that he changed to, "challenge myself a bit more and play a bit better standard of footy." Did say that his GV opponents were consistently "a lot quicker and stronger" which did surprise me a little as I thought the difference might have been more about midfield delivery. He has certainly suffered from injury this season but hasn't dominated either. Sixty-seven goals as of today (seven today against winless Bears) has him third on the table behind Saad and Eagle. The top six each have fifty plus for the season, a pretty even spread.

New league has been bigger test

August 3 2013
Shepparton News

Grant Weeks came to the Goulburn Valley Football League seeking a greater challenge and that is exactly what he has got.
‘‘You come up against good defenders every week and the pressure is on,’’ Weeks said.
‘‘You have to be on your game every week and that’s why I came to the GV — to challenge myself a bit more and play a bit better standard of footy.’’
Weeks said the quality and versatility of Goulburn Valley defenders was a step up from the Bendigo league he dominated for the past three seasons.
‘‘They’re a lot quicker and stronger,’’ he said.
‘‘The thing in Bendigo is you can have a strong bloke on you who is the same body size, but he’s not as quick, so you can get away from him on the lead.
‘‘But in the GV they’re a lot more athletic and bigger and stronger, so consistently it’s just harder to get away from them — that’s probably the main thing.’’
Weeks said the ankle injury he suffered on season eve had restricted his progression as a player this year.
‘‘I’m starting to get the hang of my game a bit more now and more confidence in myself playing this level,’’ he said. ‘‘I’m excited for the next month for finals, because finals football is what we play for, so I can’t wait for the weather to get a bit warmer and a bit nicer days.’’

Poor first half by Seymour today cost them a place in this years finals.
Have to give credit to the Swans though, they showed a fair bit of character when the game was up for grabs at the end.

Another split round. Just add another couple of rounds ffs.

The top five seems set, but sixth place is interesting;

Seymour (32 pts) - Euroa - Benalla - Mansfield
Mooroopna (32 pts)- Shepparton - Swans - United
Swans (28 pts) - United - Mooroopna - Bears

Percentage is also very close between them all as well - Seymour 109, Mooroopna 108 and Swans 106.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back