Goulburn Valley FL 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to go back on old ground but from the KDFL board it appears Ardmona won't be having a thirds and I heard from numerous sources today Shepp swans are struggling for under18 numbers . Not good for football when clubs so close to one of the largest cities in victoria are struggling for junior numbers.
Where are the future senior players going to come from ?
Lancaster 3rds team which won the kdl flag last year really struggling to field a team also , definitely a worry with close neighbours tat and ardmona not having teams , times are changing football not the priority it once was .

Lancaster 3rds team which won the kdl flag last year really struggling to field a team also , definitely a worry with close neighbours tat and ardmona not having teams , times are changing football not the priority it once was .
Reading JR's article in the Shepp News about doing away with the 3rds comp!! Thankfully AFLVic aren't interested in the proposal. This is my take on the problem;
The only way to save junior club footy is for the U/16 comp to finish. This will then allow the GV (& KDFL) to be an U/17 3rds competition, which will not only give a boost in numbers to the 3rds competition but also the reserves will gain the 18 yr olds that become too old for the 3rds competition. All clubs then have the same age group pathways of U/14 to U/17 to open age.
Other benefits of dropping the 3rds age down is the benefit of not having a mix of legal drinking age players mixing with 15 year olds and being drawn into drinking underage, everyone in the 3rds competition would now be under the legal drinking age.
The last thing you want is less junior engagement from clubs, and that is what would happen with getting rid of the 3rds. This proposal not only helps with that by doing away with the U/16 comp and getting players into clubs earlier and building relationships allowing clubs the best opportunity to keep kids in the game. Its a win win, helps the reserve grade number shortage by adding half a dozen 18 year olds to clubs list each year and allows all clubs in the region more players through winding up the U/16s.

Reading JR's article in the Shepp News about doing away with the 3rds comp!! Thankfully AFLVic aren't interested in the proposal. This is my take on the problem;
The only way to save junior club footy is for the U/16 comp to finish. This will then allow the GV (& KDFL) to be an U/17 3rds competition, which will not only give a boost in numbers to the 3rds competition but also the reserves will gain the 18 yr olds that become too old for the 3rds competition. All clubs then have the same age group pathways of U/14 to U/17 to open age.
Other benefits of dropping the 3rds age down is the benefit of not having a mix of legal drinking age players mixing with 15 year olds and being drawn into drinking underage, everyone in the 3rds competition would now be under the legal drinking age.
The last thing you want is less junior engagement from clubs, and that is what would happen with getting rid of the 3rds. This proposal not only helps with that by doing away with the U/16 comp and getting players into clubs earlier and building relationships allowing clubs the best opportunity to keep kids in the game. Its a win win, helps the reserve grade number shortage by adding half a dozen 18 year olds to clubs list each year and allows all clubs in the region more players through winding up the U/16s.
I think the other added bonus is that it exposes 18 year olds to the senior playing group Prior to leaving school which often sees kids to go in different direction , the more kids that can transit from junior footy to senior footy the better . Everything should be done to ease that junior to senior transition .
Another thing which needs to be considered is that families become acustom to football being on a Sunday in junior footy and then find it difficult when that changes to Saturday for senior footy . Much the same as senior clubs are use to Saturday footy and dislike
Sunday games .

Your on a winner hank , the Shepp under 16 s is a nothing comp anyway kids would be better in a club environment, GVL thirds at present isn't really under age footy with some players over 18 .

Absolutely spot on with this idea. It would also address the wide ranging size difference amongst players in under 18's. It can be a colossal jump if you're a small guy from under 16's who hasn't grown yet and you come up against an under 18 whose birthday is early in the year and grew early. It's like a featherweight against a heavyweight in a boxing match. Not always easy to manage if you're the coach.

Your on a winner hank , the Shepp under 16 s is a nothing comp anyway kids would be better in a club environment, GVL thirds at present isn't really under age footy with some players over 18 .
Agree totally..the SDJFL is not doing anything meaningful in its present guise. All GVFL clubs need an U/16s side that plays before the 18s. Said it before that its a no brainer. 16's play at 9.30/10, thirds at 11 reserves shortened and start at 1 and seniors 2.20. Clubs will be better financially with more people involved. Needs to be implemented asap.

Kyabram v Pascoe vale today. Ky won 23.16 160 to Pascoe vale 3.4 22, they played 25 min quarters except the last they cut short to just 16min.

and Paulo did coach all day and done most of the speaking unlike last year (ken Sheldon) and spoke real well. Paul probably got 4 himself but came to the bench the last half of every quarter.

was pretty hard to pick the bests as it was a whole team effort. I reckon Josh Pell would've squashed some of the negative people saying he want be up to GV standard.

Ky were without 6 keys pettifer,childs,coulstock,Emmett,beck,barrett. who will all be walk up starters. all premiership players for ky apart from barrett/pettifer

Last edited:
Kyabram v Pascoe vale today. Ky won 23.16 160 to Pascoe vale 3.4 22, they played 25 min quarters except the last they cut short to just 16min.

and Paulo did coach all day and done most of the speaking unlike last year (ken Sheldon) and spoke real well. Paul probably got 4 himself but came to the bench the last half of every quarter.

was pretty hard to pick the bests as it was a whole team effort. I reckon Josh Pell would've squashed some of the negative people saying he want be up to GV standard.

Ky were without 6 keys pettifer,childs,coulstock,Emmett,beck,barrett. who will all be walk up starters. all premiership players for apart from barrett/pettifer

Pretty ominous for the rest of the league by the sounds of it. Echuca defeated United today but not sure of respective strengths of the 2 teams. Echuca might get a better idea of how they are tracking when they play Ky next Friday.

Ky were without 6 keys pettifer,childs,coulstock,Emmett,beck,barrett. who will all be walk up starters. all premiership players for apart from barrett/pettifer
Not a flag with the Ky boys but Pettifer did manage one in the OMFNL at Yarra.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tatura seniors defeated by about 4 goals today against Golden Square over at Bendigo. Tatura looking very competitive. Will win a few games this year. When Daniel Lewis back from NT will be even better.

Ky were without 6 keys pettifer,childs,coulstock,Emmett,beck,barrett. who will all be walk up starters. all premiership players for ky apart from barrett/pettifer
Wouldn't say Emmett or Barret are walk up starts by any means, I think Emmett is starting to age on a bit, had a lot of injuries in the last couple of years, no real spot for him as blokes like Ryan butler and Kyle mueller play that smaller forward role better in my opinion. Drew barret out injured and will take him 6-7 to get back on the park, good young player but would be a very hard task to break into this team at full strength. On the other hand I would say Pettifer, Childs, Coulstock and Beck will be walk up starters. Kyabram also had Lachie Smith out who is definitely a walk up starter.

Last edited:
Wouldn't say Emmett or Barret are walk up starts by any means, I think Emmett is starting to age on a bit, had a lot of injuries in the last couple of years, no real spot for him as blokes like Ryan butler and Kyle mueller play that smaller forward role better in my opinion. Drew barret out injured and will take him 6-7 to get back on the park, good young player but would be a very hard task to break into this team at full strength. On the other hand I would say Pettifer, Childs, Coulstock and Beck will be walk up starters. Kyabram also had Lachie Smith out who is definitely a walk up starter.

Emmett has been there and done it before.(won premiership and 150 or more GV games) and proven himself. butler on the other hand has not. yes he played at a young age at Ky but they weren't much chop then. so I would choose someone who's been there and done it before over someone who has not.

only if fit! I just think it'd be wrong to choose bulter over Emmett (my opinion) and let butler work through the 2s

and u know butler hasn't played a game for nearly 2 years cos injury and what not?

on the other note yes Kyle is a exciting player! Paulo is going to have a hard choice because they all can't play.

Last edited:
Emmett has been there and done it before.(won premiership and 150 or more GV games) and proven himself. butler on the other hand has not. yes he played at a young age at Ky but they weren't much chop then. so I would choose someone who's been there and done it before over someone who has not.

only if fit! I just think it'd be wrong to choose bulter over Emmett (my opinion) and let butler work through the 2s

and u know butler hasn't played a game for nearly 2 years cos injury and what not?

on the other note yes Kyle is a exciting player! Paulo is going to have a hard choice because they all can't play.
Agree and yes butler has been out for a while but I think butler will have more to give to the side then Emmett, don't get me wrong emmett is a great player but he won't be a walk up start I can assure you. Where would you play either of them? The team is packed to the tilt!! What would your full side of 21 players at full strength look like? A lot more players will be left!

I hear Rochy got a bit of a touch up yesterday against Greenvale. The Tigers seconds didn't score in their match. Depth will be a worry

I hear Rochy got a bit of a touch up yesterday against Greenvale. The Tigers seconds didn't score in their match. Depth will be a worry

Depth will be better this year than last year I would think! 15+ players out yesterday 9 of them being senior players made it hard against a quality greensvale side that was close to full strength who came to play!!

Depth will be better this year than last year I would think! 15+ players out yesterday 9 of them being senior players made it hard against a quality greensvale side that was close to full strength who came to play!!

Who missed the match. I did hear both Williams boys out.. One played in a Tennis GF the other is injured.

Tatura seniors defeated by about 4 goals today against Golden Square over at Bendigo. Tatura looking very competitive. Will win a few games this year. When Daniel Lewis back from NT will be even better.
What about Wall and McGough, Leigh Owen who else was out

Lots of rochy boys and tigrettes doing run for the kids in town yesterday. Perhaps that had some impact on their numbers?

Who missed the match. I did hear both Williams boys out.. One played in a Tennis GF the other is injured.
Bowen, Cuttriss, Sanders, Perry, Bacon played in the twos not sure why and Williams brothers as previously mentioned. They werent that bad with all those numbers missing, only went down by about 5 goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back