Goulburn Valley FL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey oz how many tat locals will be actually playing senior footy at tat next year. I remember thinking last year that there percentage last year of locals to imports was pretty low. With all of these new players coming that percentage seems likely to decrease even more.
In your opinion is this a good thing for your club and is it sustainable?

Last year there was just under 60% locals( that have played in Tatura for 5 years or there first GVL club is Tatura). Don't know where you get the Local to imports was pretty low. We have signed 5 players (4 new one and one ex Tat player) and we have about the same maybe more taking the step up into senior or resssies.

Is it a good thing for the club? Hell yeah seeing that approx 60% of the players are local and will be increased with the exciting junior coming thru. It has help that since 2001, Tatura town population has increased by about 40%.

Is it sustainable? Well yeah. The aim for the 12 team is to win the premiership and sit at 5th and 6th all the time. Heck, This past couple of years has been a bit boring for the GVL. No offence to Kyabram and there winning streak. I think the Shepp bears GF win has re-invigorated the GVL and I hope this year will be be closer

Last year there was just under 60% locals( that have played in Tatura for 5 years or there first GVL club is Tatura). Don't know where you get the Local to imports was pretty low. We have signed 5 players (4 new one and one ex Tat player) and we have about the same maybe more taking the step up into senior or resssies.

Is it a good thing for the club? Hell yeah seeing that approx 60% of the players are local and will be increased with the exciting junior coming thru. It has help that since 2001, Tatura town population has increased by about 40%.

Is it sustainable? Well yeah. The aim for the 12 team is to win the premiership and sit at 5th and 6th all the time. Heck, This past couple of years has been a bit boring for the GVL. No offence to Kyabram and there winning streak. I think the Shepp bears GF win has re-invigorated the GVL and I hope this year will be be closer

I just hope it hasn’t re-awaken the beast

KY maybe after redemption

Usually I don’t like the way tat go about it but I think them and every other team needs to lift the bar in order to close the gap between the top teams and make this league a powerhouse again. Only way this will happen is two ways. 1 by luring locals back to their club or 2 having a growing number of quality imports.

Usually I don’t like the way tat go about it but I think them and every other team needs to lift the bar in order to close the gap between the top teams and make this league a powerhouse again. Only way this will happen is two ways. 1 by luring locals back to their club or 2 having a growing number of quality imports.
Good points all round! However, if clubs think that good juniors are going to help then then they are on the wrong path. The better young players go to what was the TAC and then VFL whilst others get lured by money from other clubs. We have the cap and points but in reality no young player should be paid until they are 21 or played 50 games.

Good points all round! However, if clubs think that good juniors are going to help then then they are on the wrong path. The better young players go to what was the TAC and then VFL whilst others get lured by money from other clubs. We have the cap and points but in reality no young player should be paid until they are 21 or played 50 games.

I totally agree with your thoughts Ringo but the current people involved with the Pioneers are “advising” the young guys that are returning to their clubs to demand $400 a game because that is what they are worth!

I think you need a core 16 locals (or one point players being at the club 3+ years) to be successful, very few teams in footy win a flag by bringing in a large amount of players with no alignance to the club. Pios always miss out on some good players, which local teams can build their sides around

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw tonight the news that the Ovens & Murray League have started to issue more points for equalisation purposes. Wodonga one of about 4 teams I think to get extra for 2019. About time this happened. Points will only work the way it’s meant to if this happens.
Has this happened yet in the GV does anyone know?

Saw tonight the news that the Ovens & Murray League have started to issue more points for equalisation purposes. Wodonga one of about 4 teams I think to get extra for 2019. About time this happened. Points will only work the way it’s meant to if this happens.
Has this happened yet in the GV does anyone know?
I didn't see the news , but my understanding is that the O&M, in fact the AFLNEB region, have just started doing what the GVL qnd the GM region has had available to it ever since the inception of the points system, that is the ability for clubs to apply for more points.
As I have said previously I think there is some real merit in extra points being based on criteria , whether that be population, schooling which is in the town , last season ladder position past juniors success etc etc

I didn't see the news , but my understanding is that the O&M, in fact the AFLNEB region, have just started doing what the GVL qnd the GM region has had available to it ever since the inception of the points system, that is the ability for clubs to apply for more points.
As I have said previously I think there is some real merit in extra points being based on criteria , whether that be population, schooling which is in the town , last season ladder position past juniors success etc etc

Must happen....oh the embarrassment of the Swans using more points than Kyabram in a clash this year. Unfortunately, we are staring down the barrel of another dominant Kyabram side. Not having a go at them..just the system that supports it.

You have to have a tiered points allocation. Not every club has the same means to compete

Last edited:
Must happen....oh the embarrassment of the Swans using more points than Kyabram in a clash this year. Unfortunately, we are staring down the barrel of another dominant Kyabram side. Not having a go at them..just the system that supports it.

What do you recommend ringo? Tiered points system as roota has mentioned? I personally think the rest of the league has to catch up, the gv has dropped off significantly and teams like swans, Mooroopna and United need to lift. But yes agree, points system needs some changing!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What do you recommend ringo? Tiered points system as roota has mentioned? I personally think the rest of the league has to catch up, the gv has dropped off significantly and teams like swans, Mooroopna and United need to lift. But yes agree, points system needs some changing!

I’m pretty sure when the points system was brought in they wouldn’t have intended for every team to basically have the same points. It’s just that our league are morons. What’s the point of having an equalisation measure if it’s not applied correctly as it was intended.

I think the game was fine for 100 plus years. Others will disagree! All clubs need to have the same salary cap in the top 10 leagues and the same salary cap as their city cousins. For mine, the points system is causing eras of dominance that havent been seen as consistently as this. Koroit, Kyabram, Albury, Nathalia...to name a few have been in positions of strength for sometime now. I'm not always right but the evidence supports the fact that unless some clubs are helped then they are well and truly fighting for survival. Why would you go to the swans when you know you are not going to compete with the big boys unless..more points are handed out.

I’m pretty sure when the points system was brought in they wouldn’t have intended for every team to basically have the same points. It’s just that our league are morons. What’s the point of having an equalisation measure if it’s not applied correctly as it was intended.
I am not certain 'The league' is to blame in this case. Clubs have had the option to apply for more points , whilst there has been others factors in the local region , including the Picola league basically not been in the points system and therefore players from there have been one point. IIRC that includes 3 of Shepp's premiership side .
Hopefully a recent change will see far more common sense and positive decisions being made which will see a far more positive outlook , including in regards to the points system.

Shepparton won the flag remember despite Ky dominating the season. Shepp put a system in plan and it worked. They were not winning too many games when the point system came in, Ky got lucky with their Echuca recruits falling into place as locals- but created a community where they wanted to stay. Shepp won a flag from scratch when the system started. Ky built their era from a low position using a community based approach before the system came in. So clubs can have success but need to build it, can’t just go and buy a flag anymore.

Shepparton won the flag remember despite Ky dominating the season. Shepp put a system in plan and it worked. They were not winning too many games when the point system came in, Ky got lucky with their Echuca recruits falling into place as locals- but created a community where they wanted to stay. Shepp won a flag from scratch when the system started. Ky built their era from a low position using a community based approach before the system came in. So clubs can have success but need to build it, can’t just go and buy a flag anymore.
excatly right bootz

As I alluded to earlier Shepp had the benefit of getting players at 1 point who would normally be 2 , 3 and 4 points .
As the amount of points per competitions drop it will take even longer to build .
Whilst generally the term that people serve in clubs is getting shorter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back