Goulburn Valley FL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must happen....oh the embarrassment of the Swans using more points than Kyabram in a clash this year. Unfortunately, we are staring down the barrel of another dominant Kyabram side. Not having a go at them..just the system that supports it.
You spend while you can

I am not certain 'The league' is to blame in this case. Clubs have had the option to apply for more points , whilst there has been others factors in the local region , including the Picola league basically not been in the points system and therefore players from there have been one point. IIRC that includes 3 of Shepp's premiership side .
Hopefully a recent change will see far more common sense and positive decisions being made which will see a far more positive outlook , including in regards to the points system.

Well I disargee with you. When the first season of the point they give a concession of the two bottoms side and one side in the finals (Euroa)

Thank god they saw sense last year

I am not certain 'The league' is to blame in this case. Clubs have had the option to apply for more points , whilst there has been others factors in the local region , including the Picola league basically not been in the points system and therefore players from there have been one point. IIRC that includes 3 of Shepp's premiership side .
Hopefully a recent change will see far more common sense and positive decisions being made which will see a far more positive outlook , including in regards to the points system.

Yes that may be true but this point increase that clubs can apply for is only temporary and will eventually come back down. I know that some clubs dont want to apply because they think they are not in the premiership window.

Towns like Tat and Rochy should always have more points than Echuca and ky if we are talking about equal chance. No way they can be expected produce as many local (1 point) players to fill their side.

Well I disargee with you. When the first season of the point they give a concession of the two bottoms side and one side in the finals (Euroa)

Thank god they saw sense last year
Who else applied ?
Whilst in blaming the league it is assumed that the league is responsible for who gets extra points.
The policy states that applications for extra points are decided by a sub-committee , which I believe has been regional not league and altered last year from the first.

Yes that may be true but this point increase that clubs can apply for is only temporary and will eventually come back down. I know that some clubs dont want to apply because they think they are not in the premiership window.

Towns like Tat and Rochy should always have more points than Echuca and ky if we are talking about equal chance. No way they can be expected produce as many local (1 point) players to fill their side.
Not advocating either way on the points system or that clubs shouldn't be awarded additional points based on population base as I believe population size should be considered.
However the policy is termed " sustainability " although often referred to as equalisation , whilst it is argued in some circles that larger towns can afford to recruit more heavily .
What isn't recognised is that larger towns have larger competition for the commercial dollar on offer and competition from other sports.
There continues to be large confusion over the purpose of the policy eg. sustainability , equalisation , development of own talent .

Agree there. Plus Tat has no high school which makes it hard to attract the kids to training, easier to train in Shep.
Echuca & Shepp juniors should be considered same value if changing to a higher ranked league and staying in the town the first year they come out of their underage comp. They are all locals and kids generally don’t want to go to a higher league unless they want to improve and have a crack at the senior level.

Totally agree. The points system is stupid.
It was meant to create equality, but giving sides different amount of points is against its own principles before a ball is bounced!
How about a simple solution being both sides have 18 players on the field under a salary cap!
So...if the points make no difference why have the system?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree. The points system is stupid.
It was meant to create equality, but giving sides different amount of points is against its own principles before a ball is bounced!
How about a simple solution being both sides have 18 players on the field under a salary cap!
Equality is not about giving everyone the same, it is giving people what they need to compete on an equal basis. Some clubs are not starting equally, exactly why the points system was introduced because the salary cap helped but not properly. No use saying “Let’s go back to the good old days.” They weren’t good for everyone and points looks like it’s here to stay. Might as well say “Let’s get rid of player payments” but they have been here since the game was invented.

Equality is not about giving everyone the same, it is giving people what they need to compete on an equal basis. Some clubs are not starting equally, exactly why the points system was introduced because the salary cap helped but not properly. No use saying “Let’s go back to the good old days.” They weren’t good for everyone and points looks like it’s here to stay. Might as well say “Let’s get rid of player payments” but they have been here since the game was invented.
Yep points will not work if the system is underpinned by the notion of 'equality'where clubs are given the same thing.. As you say bootz if the system works towards being underpinned by the concept of 'equity' and fairness for all clubs in every situation, then a points system might work. We need to get our heads around the difference.

Can you please tell me how clubs are not starting equally?

The beautiful thing about smart phones is that wisdom is but a click away.

Look up the definition of equality, then the definition of equity. Consider those defintions in the overarching context of the points system and wisdom should by yours.

Have a read back through the previous few pages and you will see many valid reasons from various posters as to why clubs are not, and have not been equal since the inception of points. Then you would not need to ask that question.

Last edited:

Some clubs cant recruit the players they would like or need based on cash flow and existing arrangements with players they have signed and probably do not want to waste money if they know they aren't competitive. Its a salary cap but doesn't mean you have to spend to that level every year. The teams on the way up chasing a flag might but smartly managed clubs wont be paying overs.
Facilities for clubs vary vastly and are not equal either ( training grounds, gyms, lights, etc) so as per above just 2 points where clubs usually dont start each year on an equal footing.
The one thing that doesn't change is a team will finish top and one will finish bottom and everyone will be in between.

Some clubs cant recruit the players they would like or need based on cash flow and existing arrangements with players they have signed and probably do not want to waste money if they know they aren't competitive. Its a salary cap but doesn't mean you have to spend to that level every year. The teams on the way up chasing a flag might but smartly managed clubs wont be paying overs.
Facilities for clubs vary vastly and are not equal either ( training grounds, gyms, lights, etc) so as per above just 2 points where clubs usually dont start each year on an equal footing.
The one thing that doesn't change is a team will finish top and one will finish bottom and everyone will be in between.
I think Clubs in the GV are pretty similar in what facilities they have to work with. The Cap is set at a rate where all Clubs should be able too raise and spend that amount every year as well.

The beautiful thing about smart phones is that wisdom is but a click away.

Look up the definition of equality, then the definition of equity. Consider those defintions in the overarching context of the points system and wisdom should by yours.

Have a read back through the previous few pages and you will see many valid reasons from various posters as to why clubs are not, and have not been equal since the inception of points. Then you would not need to ask that question.
Yes Silver I used the term “equality “ instead of “ equity” because I didn’t want to be too technical. Equality is of course different in that it is about trying to make things more equal. There is a great diagram that illustrates this which I will try and post.

There is even a better image where all the spectators are on a sloping hill but all are the same size to demonstrate equity. This points out that itvin not necessarily individuals (or clubs) that are disadvantaged but the environment they are in, like population size, access to high schools, distance from larger towns, competition from clubs within their own town!

I think Clubs in the GV are pretty similar in what facilities they have to work with. The Cap is set at a rate where all Clubs should be able too raise and spend that amount every year as well.

So notionally your on the committee at the Swans. You want to spend what Shepp spent last year chasing a flag every year even though the club needs to develop their kids to be any chance of improving? Interesting.

The cap is a cap. Its the most you can spend. What a club spends becomes what they can afford and sustain not what they can generate in 12 months. I would be astounded if every club in the GV spent to the cap in a given year.

So notionally your on the committee at the Swans. You want to spend what Shepp spent last year chasing a flag every year even though the club needs to develop their kids to be any chance of improving? Interesting.

The cap is a cap. Its the most you can spend. What a club spends becomes what they can afford and sustain not what they can generate in 12 months. I would be astounded if every club in the GV spent to the cap in a given year.
I didn't say all are spending the full cap but I think they should be all able to get to that level consistently. Development is huge as GV caps are still well under Metro Clubs. The Swans had to spend overs to field teams. They offered a lot of them reduced amounts and ultimately some have moved on and they have tightened the screws with some players returning.

I didn't say all are spending the full cap but I think they should be all able to get to that level consistently. Development is huge as GV caps are still well under Metro Clubs. The Swans had to spend overs to field teams. They offered a lot of them reduced amounts and ultimately some have moved on and they have tightened the screws with some players returning.

And just while touching on that. First night of training tonight for the swans had 30+ on the track. Whilst not expecting to storm up the ladder we will absolutely be in a better position next year which is promising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back