Goulburn Valley FL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

A minor premier is also compromised. Uneven draw, team squads affected and really unless finals are played its time to call last drinks.
Unfortunately I think you are right, covid fragments found in Shepp’s sewer is also not a great sign . As soon as there is a case in regional Vic we’ll all be back in lockdown .
Positive is nearly 2%of the population who are eligible have been getting vaccinated per day with 50% expected this week . Sooner we get to 80% of whole population we can start to live again .

Some logic seems a bit off here.

Yes the season will be viewed as compromised. Big deal. Teams are playing.

But if team A misses a GF cause it had 6 or 7 players out cause of injury it’s ok

But if team B misses a GF cause it has some Melbourne guys out the GF winner isn’t rated ?

But if team A misses a GF cause it had 6 or 7 players out cause of injury it’s ok

But if team B misses a GF cause it has some Melbourne guys out the GF winner isn’t rated ?

The comparison between this situation and injuries completely baffles me.
Big deal you say? Say that to the countless volunteers who raise money and the sponsors who fork there hard earned money out so that there club can put a side on the park capable of winning a flag only to have a large portion of that side not able to play because of where they live.
People on here have said recruit locally which all clubs would love to do but that simply isn’t possible for all clubs. The gvfl is a major league and bloody tough to win a flag in. A lot of clubs simply have to recruit and get locals back from the city to be competitive in this comp.

The comparison between this situation and injuries completely baffles me.
Big deal you say? Say that to the countless volunteers who raise money and the sponsors who fork there hard earned money out so that there club can put a side on the park capable of winning a flag only to have a large portion of that side not able to play because of where they live.
People on here have said recruit locally which all clubs would love to do but that simply isn’t possible for all clubs. The gvfl is a major league and bloody tough to win a flag in. A lot of clubs simply have to recruit and get locals back from the city to be competitive in this comp.
Spot on...

I’ve been in the push on without metro players as for the most part metro players are a rather small percentage of clubs members and most metro players wouldn’t be training with their clubs , so aside from infield on a Saturday ( which is not dismissed ) they play a significantly smaller role within the club . Whilst it’s less likely metro Melbourne based people are execs or on clubs committee’s .
With the NSW complete shutdown it adds another laying which severely affects one club more than others within the GVL .
Echuca - Moama is basically 1 town , statistically Echuca approx 15k , Moama 5k.
With NSW locked down it’s reasonable to assume 1/3 rd of Echuca’s players won’t be available and that’s over and above the Metro players being unavailable that every other club has to deal with .
Not only is it players , it’s also 1/3 rd of the volunteers who are needed more than ever atm to try and get something out of the year .
GVL can’t reasonably expect Echuca to continue playing whilst NSW is shutdown .

Sorry mate have to disagree. Injuries are just bad luck and part of the game. This is completely different as clubs have fit available players unable to play due to restrictions. Some of these players have been recruited to play significant roles for the team. Rarely would a team have more than 5 players out with injury at any given time.Echuca, for instance now has the double whammy of players not being able to play from both Melbourne and Moama/Deni. A Grand Final always has been and should be a battle between the two clubs that survived the rigours of the season and made it through on merit. This is just a 'lucky dip' now. How can you compare this years premiers to some of the great sides like the eras of Ky, Seymour and Shep United? They wouldn't do up their shoelaces.

Sorry mate have to disagree. Injuries are just bad luck and part of the game. This is completely different as clubs have fit available players unable to play due to restrictions. Some of these players have been recruited to play significant roles for the team. Rarely would a team have more than 5 players out with injury at any given time.Echuca, for instance now has the double whammy of players not being able to play from both Melbourne and Moama/Deni. A Grand Final always has been and should be a battle between the two clubs that survived the rigours of the season and made it through on merit. This is just a 'lucky dip' now. How can you compare this years premiers to some of the great sides like the eras of Ky, Seymour and Shep United? They wouldn't do up their shoelaces.
Hey ringo
Which club is disadvantaged the most from not having metro players
Here at ky it's hard to replace Smith petts keogh Morgan coulstock
But we played well enough to beat United yesterday

Seymour Euroa and Echuca IMO.
Echuca will be most effected after the NSW lock down. Sounds like Kyabram were missing many senior players also. Would be interested to know exact numbers from Seymour and Euroa. What about Mansfield? They traditionally have a few from Melbourne on their books.

Pies would have 10 to come in I’m told.
Just reading back on this thread, Jon Dough suggested Kyabram were without 7 players including Smith, Morgan, Pettifer and Keogh. Grasscutter reckoned Mansfield were missing 8 and Euroa 11.

Comparatively, Rochy missing 4 senior players including Jansen who may not be eligible anyway. Not sure if Mooroopna were missing any against Seymour. Don't know about Benalla.

Playing under the current auspices totally destroys the integrity of the competition!

Just reading back on this thread, Jon Dough suggested Kyabram were without 7 players including Smith, Morgan, Pettifer and Keogh. Grasscutter reckoned Mansfield were missing 8 and Euroa 11.

Comparatively, Rochy missing 4 senior players including Jansen who may not be eligible anyway. Not sure if Mooroopna were missing any against Seymour. Don't know about Benalla.

Playing under the current auspices totally destroys the integrity of the competition!
Mooroopna had 3 missing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All bar one game has been played without the Melbourne mix of players so the team that ends up winning it will be from a team that has qualified for finals from that block of work so it's not as if a team who has performed badly throughout the year is suddenly going to pop up and Win the Flag. In your case your beloved Tigers were only a skinny chance with all your Melbourne boys and under current circumstances would remain a skinny chance. The other thing that people are leap frogging is that it is quite realistic that those guys will be eligible to play by the time the Finals series kicks off.

All bar one game has been played without the Melbourne mix of players so the team that ends up winning it will be from a team that has qualified for finals from that block of work so it's not as if a team who has performed badly throughout the year is suddenly going to pop up and Win the Flag. In your case your beloved Tigers were only a skinny chance with all your Melbourne boys and under current circumstances would remain a skinny chance. The other thing that people are leap frogging is that it is quite realistic that those guys will be eligible to play by the time the Finals series kicks off.
NSW won't be out of this for ages. Melb slated to continue until Sept 2. I don't feel any integrity is kept if a side that finishes 4th or 5th wins a flag and 3 or 4 other finalists roll out substantially weaker sides than H&A matches.

You have missed the point as I don't think 'my beloved Tiger's' are any chance! ... but the exclusions are unfair on the top four sides particularly as I assume you understand the significance of a double chance. Based upon current Covid numbers and the NSW situation your comment 'it is quite realistic (Melbourne players) will be eligible' lacks a deeper understanding of the inequity of the situation as there is no chance that Echuca's Moama/Deniliquin players will be available. Take off your Mooroopna cap mate ...

Looks like another 2 weeks without them. People tend to forget a lot of the smaller towns draw back locals, where many have to move to the city, a side like kyabram plays on low player points from locals, but many locals employment doesn't allow them to live there. I'm not sure you can keep playing senior footy, play reserves, 3rds and netball, a huge amount of time effort and resources goes into senior footy, it's too compromised, to continue, even Echuca with guys living in Moama is a huge burden on them.

In fairness Mooroopna have rolled Euroa Benalla and Seymour now and Drew Rochester so they are much improved. They also had players in Melbourne missing too. I actually think this year's Premiers will be deserving because they will have had to stay committed and kept training individually through multiple lockdowns. 80 to 85% of the playing lists are still out there too.

In fairness Mooroopna have rolled Euroa Benalla and Seymour now and Drew Rochester so they are much improved. They also had players in Melbourne missing too. I actually think this year's Premiers will be deserving because they will have had to stay committed and kept training individually through multiple lockdowns. 80 to 85% of the playing lists are still out there too.
Seymour had either 10 or 11 different players yesterday from there 1st game against Echuca.

Seymour had either 10 or 11 different players yesterday from there 1st game against Echuca.

Vfl hadn’t started rd 1 of gv and I think you will find its more Seymours injuries than players unavailable due to being in Melbourne. They actually had 2 ins from vfl sides yesterday that havnt played most of the year

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You have missed the point as I don't think 'my beloved Tiger's' are any chance! ... but the exclusions are unfair on the top four sides particularly as I assume you understand the significance of a double chance. Based upon current Covid numbers and the NSW situation your comment 'it is quite realistic (Melbourne players) will be eligible' lacks a deeper understanding of the inequity of the situation as there is no chance that Echuca's Moama/Deniliquin players will be available. Take off your Mooroopna cap mate ...
I don't own one mate but you should take off your glass half empty one and let your red locks flow!

Last edited:
The Morrison medal is also compromised! Players missing games, players getting votes against poorer opposition. Certainly wish there was a way around this but can't see how we can continue in the current climate.
I don't own one mate but you should take off your glass half empty one and let your red locks flow!
Did you have your Mooroopna 'beer' goggles on last night?

Not sure that providing a measured counter argument to your minority view of ploughing ahead with a heavily compromised season classifies as 'glass half empty' ... plenty of strong arguments provided why a compromised season under the current government regulations lacks both equity and integrity. And it's not going to improve in the next 2 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Goulburn Valley FL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back