Goulburn Valley FL 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Grenville Dietrich from North Adelaide was the best ... a large pizza and a six-pack on Friday nights and he still went out and took big marks and kicked goals despite having a beer gut.

His coach Mick Nunan found out one Saturday before a game and was livid and gave him a huge spray. Grenville went out and kicked 10 that day and after the game, Nunan withdrew his objection for the time being.
The great John Rantall and a couple of other Swans used to go to a pub on Beach rd every Friday , didn't affect him

New here. Long time viewer. What are each clubs' strengths and weaknesses going into 2024?
Good to have you Baz. I will kick things off for you.

BEARS. Strengths being a few 25-27 year old guns. Brett & smith added to their line up from last years side will straighten them up a lot. Tough to beat at home and seem to click into gear towards the end of last season. I think they'll win more games then last year and cause a few upsets at Deakin. Lindon is a gun down back. and Stephenson in the ruck competes like all buggery. Weaknesses would be their depth. they can drop away very quickly at times especially if injury strikes any of their top end players.

Good to have you Baz. I will kick things off for you.

BEARS. Strengths being a few 25-27 year old guns. Brett & smith added to their line up from last years side will straighten them up a lot. Tough to beat at home and seem to click into gear towards the end of last season. I think they'll win more games then last year and cause a few upsets at Deakin. Lindon is a gun down back. and Stephenson in the ruck competes like all buggery. Weaknesses would be their depth. they can drop away very quickly at times especially if injury strikes any of their top end players.
Not forgetting the return of big Ash Holland cox medalist when they knocked Ky off in the big upset 😂

Benalla - Don't know too much about them of late. Have some solid midfield players but lack depth in key positions, especially down back. Without the depth it seems as though a consistent gameplan is hard to achieve. Believe they should focus on a defensive structure to at least stop the bleeding than add some offense later.

Echuca - What sets them apart from the rest is their excellent game plan (Press) and how well they stick to it. Some very good in and under players (Reid & Mchale) complimented by an abundance of outside runners. I would suggest a great culture is in place at Echuca. Have some very good players but could argue Euroa have a better team on paper. Could look to further blood the next generation to continue on.

Swans - I think the most exciting prospects from the bottom end. Most weeks a very young midfield with an undersized ruck won contested ball and clearances. Combined with some excellent running players with some serious speed (Banch). Their downfall is their overuse by hands. They have no big presence up forward and are reluctant to bomb in. Might be better off scrambling balls along the ground to get territory and hope to win forward half stoppages.

United - Improved their game plan from 2022, started to move the ball forward and create some chaos. Not too sure on their playing list but noticed they ran out legs in the 2nd halves. Will need to keep their list and build on this.

Rochester - Always a favorite for mine. Very proud club that are rarely an easy beat. They have been seriously depleted over the last few years especially with Talls. Very minimal representation up forward and without a key ruck. Good in the contest and love a scrap but struggle on the spread. New CHB (Gordan) looks like a player but would suggest needs to get fitter. Looked a little bit cooked late in games. Bendigo players are interesting, very good they have picked up players, but I would question the actual quality of these players.

Euroa - Echuca's biggest challenge, have a great team on paper and can seriously turn it on when up and about. If they win clearances, they will be in every game as their top-notch Centre forward. Seem a bit light on down back and may question their ability to play as one unit.

Kyabram - Keep showing up year after year. Have engrained in their players a physical game style and love to push the ball deep. Happy to back their forwards in one on one with quick ball. Always been strong down back but are starting to age. Will be interesting to see they hold up throughout the year. Very proud club and a club no one wants to play. They no doubt have added to the midfield and I wouldn't be surprised if more come in (as Ky do). Interesting watch in 2024

Other teams will do later

Benalla - Don't know too much about them of late. Have some solid midfield players but lack depth in key positions, especially down back. Without the depth it seems as though a consistent gameplan is hard to achieve. Believe they should focus on a defensive structure to at least stop the bleeding than add some offense later.

Echuca - What sets them apart from the rest is their excellent game plan (Press) and how well they stick to it. Some very good in and under players (Reid & Mchale) complimented by an abundance of outside runners. I would suggest a great culture is in place at Echuca. Have some very good players but could argue Euroa have a better team on paper. Could look to further blood the next generation to continue on.

Swans - I think the most exciting prospects from the bottom end. Most weeks a very young midfield with an undersized ruck won contested ball and clearances. Combined with some excellent running players with some serious speed (Banch). Their downfall is their overuse by hands. They have no big presence up forward and are reluctant to bomb in. Might be better off scrambling balls along the ground to get territory and hope to win forward half stoppages.

United - Improved their game plan from 2022, started to move the ball forward and create some chaos. Not too sure on their playing list but noticed they ran out legs in the 2nd halves. Will need to keep their list and build on this.

Rochester - Always a favorite for mine. Very proud club that are rarely an easy beat. They have been seriously depleted over the last few years especially with Talls. Very minimal representation up forward and without a key ruck. Good in the contest and love a scrap but struggle on the spread. New CHB (Gordan) looks like a player but would suggest needs to get fitter. Looked a little bit cooked late in games. Bendigo players are interesting, very good they have picked up players, but I would question the actual quality of these players.

Euroa - Echuca's biggest challenge, have a great team on paper and can seriously turn it on when up and about. If they win clearances, they will be in every game as their top-notch Centre forward. Seem a bit light on down back and may question their ability to play as one unit.

Kyabram - Keep showing up year after year. Have engrained in their players a physical game style and love to push the ball deep. Happy to back their forwards in one on one with quick ball. Always been strong down back but are starting to age. Will be interesting to see they hold up throughout the year. Very proud club and a club no one wants to play. They no doubt have added to the midfield and I wouldn't be surprised if more come in (as Ky do). Interesting watch in 2024

Nice work BARRY. Great to have you on the thread. Who do you support?

With regards Rochester's Bendigo recruits my understanding is both Trewhella and O'Keefe have won B&F's at Kangaroo Flat in the past two years. A lowly team ... yeah but they are both young with upside. Don't know much about Magee apart from he was recommended. Also 21-22 -ish. Williams is a proven performer in the GV and BFL at Eaglehawk. Rochy had been chasing Boyack for a couple of years. Another club B&F winner. The most exciting thing for me is hearing Nathan Marrone and Doug Wren are leading the running and fit after long periods on the sidelines. Some quality and experience in those two. A fit Will Hamilton & Andy Henderson and a few others returning from periods off the field that might play out.

With regards Rochester's Bendigo recruits my understanding is both Trewhella and O'Keefe have won B&F's at Kangaroo Flat in the past two years. A lowly team ... yeah but they are both young with upside. Don't know much about Magee apart from he was recommended. Also 21-22 -ish. Williams is a proven performer in the GV and BFL at Eaglehawk. Rochy had been chasing Boyack for a couple of years. Another club B&F winner. The most exciting thing for me is hearing Nathan Marrone and Doug Wren are leading the running and fit after long periods on the sidelines. Some quality and experience in those two. A fit Will Hamilton & Andy Henderson and a few others returning from periods off the field that might play out.
Okeefe is a seriously good young player. Still in his early twenties and needs to put on some size but I’d be surprised if he doesn’t at least have a crack at VFL in the next few years.

Euroa are always fascinating. How many games will we they get out of Hayes x2 plus Hellier? Trotter down forward is genuinely deadly and causes headaches.

Can't see Euroa improving from last year
New coach, hayes boys playing less games than last year, giobbi brothers gone, there is a few things that would suggest you're correct. On the other hand both steward and hill playing well in Darwin and could both have breakout seasons, yousef next to trotter will be dangerous fwd line and smith in the ruck is quality. time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New coach, hayes boys playing less games than last year, giobbi brothers gone, there is a few things that would suggest you're correct. On the other hand both steward and hill playing well in Darwin and could both have breakout seasons, yousef next to trotter will be dangerous fwd line and smith in the ruck is quality. time will tell.
Add the Garside boys, and Barnes, 3 handy pick ups. Won’t be surprised if another couple land from up north. Giobbi boys a big loss, good gain my end though 😂

Add the Garside boys, and Barnes, 3 handy pick ups. Won’t be surprised if another couple land from up north. Giobbi boys a big loss, good gain my end though 😂
Looking pretty good at North H ultra what’s Jason Heatlys coaching strengths I’m told he’s a very good communicator with players.
Just on the Giobbi bros they will be great for your side the boys can play I still believe what cost Euroa any chance of another GF appearance was the report and send off of Ben he was killing them at that point then Ky just took over

Looking pretty good at North H ultra what’s Jason Heatlys coaching strengths I’m told he’s a very good communicator with players.
Just on the Giobbi bros they will be great for your side the boys can play I still believe what cost Euroa any chance of another GF appearance was the report and send off of Ben he was killing them at that point then Ky just took over
How do we see Pendlebury as the senior coach of the pies. I assume a pretty good football iq after playing loads of VFL football and being involved in elite program. How does he go as a communicator and motivator? can he juggle playing and coaching without letting one or the other slip? I seen him play and rate him highly very smart player.

He’s the best I’ve seen at local level mate by a stretch. He speaks, you listen, high football IQ.
They will both be very good, Adam versatile, great size and elite ball user. Ben is a bull, both will be a bit better with a more consistent training environment I dare say also. Although missing early in the year. We are playing Shep Bears in a practice match March 23rd at Broadford, we were meant to be at Tat the week before but they have pulled out there. So we are looking for a game March 16 if anyone knows a club chasing a game!

Ben cops it from every which way but I guess that is what you sign up for with reality tv. Ticking time bomb for someone of his nature.

He’s the best I’ve seen at local level mate by a stretch. He speaks, you listen, high football IQ.
They will both be very good, Adam versatile, great size and elite ball user. Ben is a bull, both will be a bit better with a more consistent training environment I dare say also. Although missing early in the year. We are playing Shep Bears in a practice match March 23rd at Broadford, we were meant to be at Tat the week before but they have pulled out there. So we are looking for a game March 16 if anyone knows a club chasing a game!
Might want to check out the surface before heading down Ultra, last time I swung past I was far from ideal!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Goulburn Valley FL 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back