Goulburn Valley FL - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crow in Swans' nest
Brian Durbridge became the first interstate recruit of the Goulburn Valley Football League off-season when he signed with Shepparton Swans on Saturday.
Durbridge, 27, joins the Swans from South Australian club North Gambier, which plays in the Victorian-based Western Border Football League.

A hard-nosed midfielder, he has represented South Australia three times and Victoria Country once at the Australian Country Football Championships.

He played for the Croweaters at this year's championships in Shepparton where the Swans spotted him as a potential recruit.

Durbridge said Mansfield also chased him but he opted to play for the Swans.

``I liked the way they come across. They seemed like a really professional club,'' Durbridge said.

``Western Border played in division four for interleague and I saw GVFL won division one this year.

``I'm looking forward to stepping up and playing a higher level of footy.''

Originally from Mount Gambier, Durbridge has spent the last three seasons at North Gambier, finishing runner-up in this year's league medal.

Durbridge is currently in the third year of a plastering apprenticeship. He and his wife Holly plan to move to Shepparton in February.

He has signed up for a boot camp and will use that as his pre-season fitness training while he remains living in South Australia.

Swans coach Peter White likened Durbridge to Jarred Ilett, one of the side's Northern Territory recruits this season, in the way he attacks the ball in the midfield and is hard at the contests.

White said Luke Simpson had also returned to Princess Park in a further boost to the Swans' midfield.

Simpson left the Swans for Murray Football League side Barooga in 2006.

He injured his knee in 2007, requiring a reconstruction, and did not play this year.

Any reports from pe-season. Most clubs seem to have started training. Numbers,recruits etc?

Shepparton had 52 at training last week. They have a few new recruits in the pipeline.

Haven't heard anything out of Rochester, except that they have signed Myles Dorman. He won the Lancefield U18's best and fairest this year and played seniors. Maybe someone closer to Rochy could confirm this.

Shepparton had 52 at training last week. They have a few new recruits in the pipeline.

Haven't heard anything out of Rochester, except that they have signed Myles Dorman. He won the Lancefield U18's best and fairest this year and played seniors. Maybe someone closer to Rochy could confirm this.

Have heard that Sam Brennan, Ben Anderson and Heath Aitken are back at tigerland. Havnt heard about Dorman but will probably know more in the next couple of weeks

Have heard that Sam Brennan, Ben Anderson and Heath Aitken are back at tigerland. Havnt heard about Dorman but will probably know more in the next couple of weeks

Ex-Tigers return

Riverine Herald
By Lucas Wilson

Rochester Football Club has added extra bite to its 2009 prospects, with the Tigers having recently signed former players Sam Brennan, Ben Anderson and Heath Aiken.
Brennan and Anderson spent last season travelling overseas and recently returned, re-joining the club after it won the Goulburn Valley Football League premiership this year.
Tigers coach Daniel Schmidt is pleased to have acquired the services of the trio.
``We've got to be happy with picking up these blokes,'' he said.
``They're all original Rochy boys so it's great to have them come back and play with us.
``We're still a very young side with some older bodies in the team as well, so these blokes will add a lot of experience to the side.
``Hopefully having them in the side will have some of the younger blokes stand tall.''
Schmidt said he was excited about next season.
``I'm feeling really good about next season,'' he said.
``We had our premiership photo taken the other day and the boys are still riding high after the win, so hopefully that carries over and sticks around heading into next season.''
A 25-year-old physical education teacher based in Melbourne, Aiken is looking forward to returning to his home club.
``I'm pretty excited about heading back to Rochy,'' he said.
``It'll be good playing with a good group of blokes and mates, and I've also got a few cousins who I'll be playing with.
``I'm also looking forward to the country footy atmosphere.''
Aiken played all of his junior football with the Tigers, before playing with Blackburn in Melbourne's Eastern Football League last season.
With these three players set to join the 2008 premiership team, as well as former Echuca player Guy Campbell, who signed with the club in October, Rochester's chances of going back-to-back have improved immensely.
The Tigers will start pre-season training tonight, with a small number of sessions to take place in the coming weeks, before training hits full swing in the new year.

Rochy start training tonight (Wednesday) at the High School oval due to the repairs on the ground. First I have heard of this Myles Dorman too, no doubt more will be revealed tonight.

Ex-Tigers return

Riverine Herald
By Lucas Wilson

Rochester Football Club has added extra bite to its 2009 prospects, with the Tigers having recently signed former players Sam Brennan, Ben Anderson and Heath Aiken.
Brennan and Anderson spent last season travelling overseas and recently returned, re-joining the club after it won the Goulburn Valley Football League premiership this year.
Tigers coach Daniel Schmidt is pleased to have acquired the services of the trio.
``We've got to be happy with picking up these blokes,'' he said.
``They're all original Rochy boys so it's great to have them come back and play with us.
``We're still a very young side with some older bodies in the team as well, so these blokes will add a lot of experience to the side.
``Hopefully having them in the side will have some of the younger blokes stand tall.''
Schmidt said he was excited about next season.
``I'm feeling really good about next season,'' he said.
``We had our premiership photo taken the other day and the boys are still riding high after the win, so hopefully that carries over and sticks around heading into next season.''
A 25-year-old physical education teacher based in Melbourne, Aiken is looking forward to returning to his home club.
``I'm pretty excited about heading back to Rochy,'' he said.
``It'll be good playing with a good group of blokes and mates, and I've also got a few cousins who I'll be playing with.
``I'm also looking forward to the country footy atmosphere.''
Aiken played all of his junior football with the Tigers, before playing with Blackburn in Melbourne's Eastern Football League last season.
With these three players set to join the 2008 premiership team, as well as former Echuca player Guy Campbell, who signed with the club in October, Rochester's chances of going back-to-back have improved immensely.
The Tigers will start pre-season training tonight, with a small number of sessions to take place in the coming weeks, before training hits full swing in the new year.

Rochy would have to be the shortest priced flag favourite for years, they had a good side this year, they will be 8 goals better next year!!!

Rochy start training tonight (Wednesday) at the High School oval due to the repairs on the ground. First I have heard of this Myles Dorman too, no doubt more will be revealed tonight.

Myles Dorman is a young kid, 18ish. Has super skills and reads the play incredibly well. A bit of a FIGJAM though and that could be his undoing.

Just watched the grand final on DVD.

Some points of interest;

* The game really was anyone's up until the last minutes. The only close GF's in this generation are 2005 and 1993.
* Bowen was good all day. He had some bad luck in the first three terms and still contributed, but everything fell into place during the last quarter and his performance was match-winning.
* Scanlon was excellent. I'm not sure if it was a tactic or if Rochester allowed him to run wherever he wanted, but he kept getting the ball and setting up play. The Bendigo Bombers would be smart to play him in the middle.
* There were times when Rochy looked outclassed (especially the second quarter), but fought back.
* For Seymour, van Reit was a good performer, as were Liddell, Colbert and O'Keefe.
* Rochy had a pretty even team performance, but Kahl Oliver, Ash Watson, Dean Moon and Scott Hann were very good.
* Sam O'Brien's job on Saad was very important.
* Before the match, if you told me that Rochy would win the flag with quiet games from Collins, Deuscher, McPhee and Whitsed, I would've thought you were nuts.
* That final quarter was incredible. Both teams had their chances.

Conclusion: I had to ring around a lot to get the DVD and eventually paid $40. The GV would be smart to run off some copies and sell them rather than direct people to Win News. They could make a bit of extra cash. I recently inquired about getting a copy of the 1999 grand final, but apparently no-one has it. A guy in Tatura owns the DVD rights, which costs $80 to get a copy:eek: The GV should have these available for sale, dating back to whenever they started. A nice little earner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good numbers at training? Any new players?

Rochester had a good turn out wednesday night. Cam Renshaw was new face. Dont know alot about him. Have heard he hails from benalla and used to be a gun back in the day but hasnt played footy for 5 years. Good signs early for the tigers

Some points of interest;

* The game really was anyone's up until the last minutes. The only close GF's in this generation are 2005 and 1993.
* Bowen was good all day. He had some bad luck in the first three terms and still contributed, but everything fell into place during the last quarter and his performance was match-winning.
* Scanlon was excellent. I'm not sure if it was a tactic or if Rochester allowed him to run wherever he wanted, but he kept getting the ball and setting up play. The Bendigo Bombers would be smart to play him in the middle.
* There were times when Rochy looked outclassed (especially the second quarter), but fought back.
* For Seymour, van Reit was a good performer, as were Liddell, Colbert and O'Keefe.
* Rochy had a pretty even team performance, but Kahl Oliver, Ash Watson, Dean Moon and Scott Hann were very good.
* Before the match, if you told me that Rochy would win the flag with quiet games from Collins, Deuscher, McPhee and Whitsed, I would've thought you were nuts.

Conclusion: I had to ring around a lot to get the DVD and eventually paid $40. The GV would be smart to run off some copies and sell them rather than direct people to Win News. They could make a bit of extra cash. I recently inquired about getting a copy of the 1999 grand final, but apparently no-one has it. A guy in Tatura owns the DVD rights, which costs $80 to get a copy:eek: The GV should have these available for sale, dating back to whenever they started. A nice little earner.

Whitsed wasnt that quiet was he????
I thought he was pretty serviceable, but mind you i'd had my fair share to drink on the outter that day and the game was played 2 months ago so my memory is a bit vaig

Mooroopna continues to focus recruiting around big men
Mooroopna is still working its recruiting avenues to find more big men after signing one ruckman this week for next Goulburn Valley Football League season.
Long-term target Petar Fantini has switched from Shepparton East to Mooroopna for next season, while fellow former Eagle Nathan Bovalino will also don the blue and white hoops.
Bovalino returns to Victoria after spending this season at Queensland side Noosa.
Fantini's arrival gives the Cats some rucking depth below Joe Sullivan and versatile Melbourne-based player Marcus Dean.
``Petar came in for a training run a little over two years ago and has done bits of pre-season with us,'' Mooroopna coach Brad Campbell said.
``Now he wants to give it a crack at this level, he'll take time to develop as big blokes do.''
Campbell said even before the departure of ruckman Jake Cowman from the club to focus on cycling, tall players were a key focus of this summer's recruiting.
``The (under-18s) aren't overly tall.
``But we do have some who we hope will develop into key position players down the track.
``In general we need tall players, like every other club,'' he said.
Bovalino has Goulburn Valley league experience with Shepparton and Shepparton United.
``Nathan's my cousin, so when it was suggested he was coming home from Queensland there was always that link there,'' Campbell said.
Campbell said while Mooroopna was in the market for players it was unlikely to land any more major signings before the Christmas break.

Bell move rings true
Golden Square has beaten a host of other Bendigo Football League sides for the services of Shepparton Swans midfielder Nathan Bell for next season.
An electrician, Bell has been considering moving to Bendigo for work since the end of this footy season.
It is understood at least four other Bendigo league clubs chased Bell when they heard he could be relocating.
Golden Square coach Mark Adamson, who formerly coached Kyabram, couldn't be happier that he has opted to join his side.
``We worked pretty hard to get him because he's the type of player and person we need,'' Adamson said.
``There was a bit of competition for his services because of his reputation as a player and person.
``Having seen him play and I have contact with (Swans coach) Peter White he's a really good midfielder.
``I'm rapt to have him on board and one of the best things about him playing with us is that we don't have to play against him.''
Golden Square lost this year's grand final by a goal against Eaglehawk.
Adamson believes that success was a factor in Bell joining the club.
``Even though we got beaten in the grand final I think he thought there was a lot going for the club,'' Adamson said.
Adamson said Bell plans to move to Bendigo before Christmas.
Originally from South Australia, Bell first played for the Swans in 2005.
He returned home to SA in 2006, where he won a premiership and the league best and fairest playing for Tantanoola in the Mid South East league.
Upon his return to Princess Park last year, Bell represented the Goulburn Valley league and played in the Swans' losing grand final against Seymour.

Some points of interest;

Pretty well summed up there brad, I reckon your match points on both sides of the ledger were spot on.

Whilst Bowen was terrific, I reckon Kahl Oliver really gave a good target for Rochy up forward and was very stiff not to have another goal in the third given to him. Scanlon was unbelievable all day for Seymour.

Clark will be a great pick up for the bears, don't much about Lyod and Pell will just make up numbers. Very overrated as a player and even more as a bloke, loves the cash and at the end of the day that's all he plays for. The bears won't see him at to many functions, soon as the game is finished he will grab the envolope and head for melbourne. Very soft as a player, looks like tarzan and plays like Jane. Very very lucky to get a game for wang last year.

Clark will be a great pick up for the bears, don't much about Lyod and Pell will just make up numbers. Very overrated as a player and even more as a bloke, loves the cash and at the end of the day that's all he plays for. The bears won't see him at to many functions, soon as the game is finished he will grab the envolope and head for melbourne. Very soft as a player, looks like tarzan and plays like Jane. Very very lucky to get a game for wang last year.
Scathing attack there on Pell, did he give you abit of a touch up one game, Not a bad effort by the bloke to end up playing in the granny after doing his knee in the prelim last year,

I heard that when he was at Nathalia and played in 2006 premiership team after only 3 or 4games that he was the only player the next year to ask for a pay rise, couldn't get it so he pissed off to wang where he played more resreves games than senior games. Very loyal bloke and plays for the jumper NOT. I'm sure all the ex Nathalia boy's in the GV will have great pleassure in playing on him.

I heard that when he was at Nathalia and played in 2006 premiership team after only 3 or 4games that he was the only player the next year to ask for a pay rise, couldn't get it so he pissed off to wang where he played more resreves games than senior games. Very loyal bloke and plays for the jumper NOT. I'm sure all the ex Nathalia boy's in the GV will have great pleassure in playing on him.

did he really on play more ressies ey mate because i think he played a fair few senior games last year and ya have ovbusily never seen lordy play mate becasue he is a ver good backman and he wouldnt be makin the numbers up at shepp if he was a very good backman at wang mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back