Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D

• Fail

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I went with A, but a B+ option probably seems more accurate at this stage. Renouf and Lisle evidently weren't in Clarko's future plans, so we managed to squeeze out some value for them. Gunston will likely be best 22, and Boumann will probably be competing with Shoenmakers and Gilham for 2 spots.

If Gunston turns out to be as good as Adelaide thought he would be, then massive win for us. He could be a third KPF option, or a winger, or simply play the Mark Williams role in the future. Boumann also seemingly has some versatility, being able to play accountable, or in a run off half back role. Exciting times ahead for the Hawthorn footy club.

Gone:
renouf - not in best 22 & 4 rucks ahead & 2 more need opps
lisle - not in best 22, knew it & wanted to go when the worse trading club in the afl offered 3 yrs - enough said
Siera (sic) - not even on list so not really a loss - will be good at north!

Arrived
2 players who could be in best 22 next year & fulfill 2 of our main needs:
Gunston - just won best 1st yr player at the crows - like a ROK but bigger, better looking, more mobile & has youth :thumbsu:
Bourmann - has 3 things lisle doesn't - pace, can kick, hard at it (also has the right arm sleeve to match buddys left) :thumbsu:

And we have the picks we need.

Great trading by the club - only downside is we couldn't extend laddo's career (though not our fault).

Re: Trade week Autopsy: Picks 33, 38 and 53

I thought we did very well. B+

Gunston looks to have far more potential and also a better immediate fit than Lisle and so we lost some draft spots for him.

Boumann is more likely to get gametime than Renouf, so happy even though we lost a few draft spots as well. It will be easy to find ruck coverage on our rookie list this year.

Still a bit puzzled by the pick trading deal with Freo though.

Expect we have some secret targets lined up in the draft that we think will be available, whether at pick 20, 30 or 50.

B. Pretty happy with how we went, especially picking up Boumann late. Would have liked to have kept pick 29 though.

I reckon Gunston will be good for our forward line...that highlights package on the HFC website shows he can get front and square to a contest and read the ball well, on top of his arking ability. Can't wait to see him crumbing off Hale, Rough and The Bud!

Re: Picks 33, 38 and 53: What to do.

So is the thread for discussing what we will do with the picks or a trade autopsy thread?:confused:

well where is 29 then.

It became 38 from Fremantle, Supposedly to 'buy' the rights to the last pre-listed player available for trade, which turned out to be Boumann.

I don't know how this is possible, as all trades are supposed to be "fair and equitable" when viewed in isolation (and our pick swap with Freo was anything but) but it makes sense and helps me sleep at night so we can roll with it.

In essence we saw the "Super Trade" go through in stages, the win we had with Gunston was cancelled by the loss with the pick swap with Freo.

Lets have one thread for trade review and one for talking about draft prospects.
I take it that this thread will continue on topic of trade review.

I thought the Hawks had done alright, right up until they swapped pick 29 to Freo. At that point we had picked up Gunstall, traded Siera, Reno and Lisle and had picks 29, 33, 53, 58 and 71. Apparently GWS wanted pick 56 in exchange for Boumann. Why didn't we give them pick 53 :confused:?

Then this thread would be about "Picks 29, 33 and 58". That would have been a win!!!

Instead they traded 29, 58 and 71 to Freo for picks 38 and 56 :mad: and used 56 to bring in Boumann.

I just don't get it????? Anyone out there know the inside story?

Without over being overly simple- how we went depends on two things- Bailey's ability to stay on the park and Roughead's rehabilitation. If there is some sort of set back for Rough or re-occurence in terms of Bailey, then I think getting rid of Renouf and losing Lisle will come back to haunt us. On the other hand the club obviously have a lot of faith in Bailey's body otherwise they would never have traded Renouf, and if Bailey can improve which he will if he justs plays more games and not get injured and if Roughead can slowly work his way back into 2008/2011 form then our trade week form of getting Gunston in will really pay off.

well where is 29 then.

It ended up with Freo - see below.

Hawthorn exchange Jordan Lisle to Brisbane Lions for compensation pick (currently No.29 in national draft)

Fremantle exchange selections 38 and 56 to Hawthorn for acquired priority selection No.29 (from Brisbane), 58 and 71

Greater Western Sydney exchange Jarrad Boumann (player previously nominated for draft) to Hawthorn for pick No.56

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought we did very well. B+

Gunston looks to have far more potential and also a better immediate fit than Lisle and so we lost some draft spots for him.

Boumann is more likely to get gametime than Renouf, so happy even though we lost a few draft spots as well. It will be easy to find ruck coverage on our rookie list this year.

Still a bit puzzled by the pick trading deal with Freo though.

Expect we have some secret targets lined up in the draft that we think will be available, whether at pick 20, 30 or 50.[/quote]

Yep that is my conclusion too.

Haven't heard what pick the well starts to run dry at but I am thinking that we made the call that whether we have a pick in the late 20s or late 30s probably isnt all that different as the well runs dry quite early on.

Following this line of thinking, it makes it more important for us to have secured Gunstan and Boumann who we were obviously keen on even if we did have to let Freo use the strap on on us. Giving up picks in a shallow draft to make sure you get your trade targets is no problem in my book...as long as the blokes you trade for can play...

Final outcome:

Hawthorn
IN: Jack Gunston, Jarrad Boumann, Picks #33, 38, 53
OUT: Will Sierakowski, Brent Renouf, Jordan Lisle, Picks 24, 29, 46, 56, 58, 64, 71

Verdict:
C

Just seemed to me that we took too much of a scatter gun approach to this trade week.

Leaving aside the players, we lost trades 24,29 and 46 (amongst others) for picks 33, 38 and 53. A clear loss.

Looking at the players, we lost Renouf (premiership ruckman), Lisle (promising defender/forward), Sierakowski (most likely delist) for Gunston (promising forward/defender), Boumann (BHH Defender).

Appears to be another loss unless you really really rate Gunston.

Another bemusing trade week for me and I guess we need to rely on the brains trust.

Edit: I took the list from the main board and its actually pretty misleading, so I will likely need to revisit this post.

I wonder if you are like a lot of Hawks supporters who just aren't happy whatever we do. Remember the ridiculous amount of negativity directed at the trades which brought Gibson(arguably best defender for the year), Burgoyne(often changed games this year and is just a gun) and Hale(had excellent year and high on list of contested marks).

I cannot see how you can rate this a C. What have we lost? Renouf, Sierrakowski and Lisle are not in our best 25. The Crows are seriously pissed off at losing Gunston so even if we don't rate him, clearly the Crows do. Boumann has some excellent potential and some time in the system and could be a very good pick up. Our draft picks at the end are about the same as we started give or take a few. Has to be a B+ at worst because we haven't lost anything and possibly have 2 very good players of a type we are short on...a key position defender and tall mobile 3rd forward.

The Hawthorn/Fremantle pick swap/resulting downgrade.

Many posts on this trade buried in quite a few threads so I thought that it might be good to have a separate thread to get to the bottom of it :). (If this is a stupid idea mods kill it with fire)

The Deal:
Hawthorn gave Fremantle Pick 29, 58 & 71.
Hawthorn recieved Pick 38 & 56.

Looks ridiculous for us on face value.

The rumour circulated on here (bigfooty forum as a whole) is that when Fremantle traded their compensation pick to GWS they also obtained the rights to a pre-listed player. We obtained these rights by doing this pick swap.

So in essence we:
Gave: Lisle + picks 58 & 71
Received: Boumann + 38

This trade is assumed to be one stage of the rumoured super-trade. Does this rumour hold water? Was GWS able to promise one club a future trade for a pre-listed player due to a previous arrangement?

It seems like this is the only plausible explanation for needing to trade with Fremantle at all to acquire a pick to satisfy GWS.

Re: The Hawthorn/Fremantle pick swap/resulting downgrade.

I'm happy with that explaination, not happy having to do that bullsh!t trade but appreciate the explaination... thanks Satan1!

Happy with our trade week overall.

Got our primary target in Gunston, got a solid back-up down back with Boumann, got rid of Renouf and Lisle, two guys that were unlikely to play any major part next year and now get a chance to develop elsewhere (never easy but better for the player) plus got some reasonable picks to use to improve the list.

Overall, a B for me.

Re: The Hawthorn/Fremantle pick swap/resulting downgrade.

So in essence we:
Gave: Lisle + picks 58 & 71
Received: Boumann + 38

Cool I get it now. Basically you're saying the picks swap isn't even, but because there were arrangements to use the picks for a particular player, in this case Boumann, we get a decent deal.

Fremantle exchange selections 38 and 56 to Hawthorn for acquired priority selection No.29 (from Brisbane), 58 and 71

so we lost lisle, a guy who played afl last year (former all australian CHB with three years development

gave up pick 29

got boumann who played at bhh

either we got the lisle pick very very wrong in the first place or we have given up a very good defender for little

so we lost lisle, a guy who played afl last year (former all australian CHB with three years development

gave up pick 29

This is one and the same, we obtained 29 for Lisle from Brisbane.

That's why I boiled it down the way I did as it shows the equality of the deals when viewed as a whole.

Cool I get it now. Basically you're saying the picks swap isn't even, but because there were arrangements to use the picks for a particular player, in this case Boumann, we get a decent deal.

Yeah; If you believe the gossip from Emma Quale and the like that the super trade was going through in stages (minus GWS getting M.D.P 1 Back) then it all starts to make a bit more sense.

Overall I would give us a B, we got the players we were after and paid a fair price.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Grade Hawthorn's Trade Week

Back