Graham Cornes says Port are mentally fragile

Remove this Banner Ad

Here’s just a couple quick quotes from our man Ken. When you have spent a decade telling your squad that teams are scary, finals are scary, how tough the opposition is and how hard the game is to play, then you are setting the club up for failure.

He is not a motivator that seems to be the narrative that surrounds him.

He actively talks up the opposition at every opportunity and prepares the team to fail.

We are mentally fragile. Have been for a decade in key moments and games. It’s not hard to see why either….

“Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley says arch rivals and ladder-leaders Adelaide are made of “really scary stuff”.

“And they're a scary proposition at the MCG. Your best is the only way you have got a chance."

"But then also I think the nervousness, the anxiety part, starts to build pretty quick that you're coming into a big part of the season, but we look forward to that.

"I'm not frightened of it. I mean, it's a bit scary playing finals but you earnt the right and you have just got to embrace the opportunities."

“Adelaide Crows are scary, says Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley”​

"I am not qualified to know exactly what mental scarring is going to do or not do to people," Hinkley told reporters on Thursday.

"It's round six against a very good team on their home deck," Hinkley said. "It's tough; it's always going to be and every week is. There's not much difference (this week).

“This competition is so brutally tough and close no matter who you play and when you play you have to play your best players,” Hinkley told ABC.

“This game is so hard to play at such a high level.”

“We played perhaps the best club in the competition maybe nearly over the history of the game,” Hinkley said.

“it's just hard, you have just got to be ready to play."

“Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley says he expects the Western Bulldogs to be a “very, very tough” preliminary final opponent”.

And many many more examples almost weekly.

If the Lions were not forced to play a Home Prelim Final at the MCG, it may have been a different result in 2004.

We were always going to run over them at HT regardless.

If Port wasn't mentally fragile we would have had the 3 peat 02-04. We would have won the flag in 2020 aswell. Wouldn't have the 07 debacle.

Football seems to not be a priority for Hinkley since we lost Walsh. We should have seen that earlier and acted accordingly.

Ken is a very good coach. Not his fault he doesn't have the cattle.
Given he's been there for about 3 list turnovers I'd argue it's very much his fault.

Craig Macrae won a premiership with dregs such as Billy Frampton playing a role, if Bottom 10 Ken can't get the 100s of players that have played for him up to AFL standard then that's on him and the coaching team.

Also have multiple AA players across the backline and up forward. Got the list but it’s not being utilised to it’s strengths through poor structure, game plan and mental preparation.
The dearth of goals is caused by the game plan to bang it long with players instructed not to lead. The opposition know the flawed game plan and flood the backline leaving little room for any forward craft.

Where Port forward pressure exacerbates the crowded forward line leaving them exposed with no cover for the so predicable frequent sling shots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahead of both the Collingwood and Crows games, every interview with the club during the week talked the games down as "Just another game" and said "We'll prepare the same way we do every week"

Deliberately playing down the significance of big calendar games and walking into every weekend with a "Business as usual!" attitude is such a pussy mentality to have and gets you nowhere.
This is an interesting point....

I find it amusing when a big game is imminent and as the OP states, players will say that 'it's just another game' when they clearly know that is is not.

Yet when there is a game that is a must win, some will state 'we'll treat this as our grand final'.

Does anyone know if Hinkley only communicates to his players via the media? If so, some of the quotes here are alarming beyond the points being made here. It just seems like a football team would need more than watching 30 minutes or so of their coach in the media every week to prepare for a game?

I dunno, maybe he's also been spending some time in person with them as I understand to be the common practice, in which case whatever he says then is probably more relevant. The in person word count alone would be so disproportionate to what you get from these quotes that you could glean anything from them with the confidence of diving head first off a roof into a tear drop from a mouse.

Last edited:
Here’s just a couple quick quotes from our man Ken. When you have spent a decade telling your squad that teams are scary, finals are scary, how tough the opposition is and how hard the game is to play, then you are setting the club up for failure.

He is not a motivator that seems to be the narrative that surrounds him.

He actively talks up the opposition at every opportunity and prepares the team to fail.

We are mentally fragile. Have been for a decade in key moments and games. It’s not hard to see why either….

“Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley says arch rivals and ladder-leaders Adelaide are made of “really scary stuff”.

“And they're a scary proposition at the MCG. Your best is the only way you have got a chance."

"But then also I think the nervousness, the anxiety part, starts to build pretty quick that you're coming into a big part of the season, but we look forward to that.

"I'm not frightened of it. I mean, it's a bit scary playing finals but you earnt the right and you have just got to embrace the opportunities."

“Adelaide Crows are scary, says Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley”​

"I am not qualified to know exactly what mental scarring is going to do or not do to people," Hinkley told reporters on Thursday.

"It's round six against a very good team on their home deck," Hinkley said. "It's tough; it's always going to be and every week is. There's not much difference (this week).

“This competition is so brutally tough and close no matter who you play and when you play you have to play your best players,” Hinkley told ABC.

“This game is so hard to play at such a high level.”

“We played perhaps the best club in the competition maybe nearly over the history of the game,” Hinkley said.

“it's just hard, you have just got to be ready to play."

“Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley says he expects the Western Bulldogs to be a “very, very tough” preliminary final opponent”.

And many many more examples almost weekly.
I am just trying to picture what Jack Cahill would have been telling them at training leading into a showdown...a wild guess it would have been quite a different approach to Kens!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Graham Cornes says Port are mentally fragile

Remove this Banner Ad

Back