Remove this Banner Ad

Taper

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2023
AFL Club
Geelong
News article in The Advertiser.
Screenshot_20240506-141026_Samsung Internet.jpg
Port haven't won a big game since the 2021 qualifying final.
Their capitulation in the 2021 preliminary final was swept under the rug and labelled an aberration, and it's not a coincidence that Port have crumbled in every big game they've played since then.

I don't often agree with Graham Cornes but he makes a good point about Port's mental fragility.
Do you agree with Cornes?

Have been mentally fragile for 24 years but for a brief moment in 2004
If the Lions were not forced to play a Home Prelim Final at the MCG, it may have been a different result in 2004.

If the Lions were not forced to play a Home Prelim Final at the MCG, it may have been a different result in 2004.
We were top of the ladder 3 years in a row, I think it's a bit petty to say we didn't deserve that one. Lions won that game anyway so what difference does it make on grand final day?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were top of the ladder 3 years in a row, I think it's a bit petty to say we didn't deserve that one. Lions won that game anyway so what difference does it make on grand final day?
It makes a huge difference are you serious?

The Lions were forced to play back to back traveling away games in September.

It makes a huge difference are you serious?

The Lions were forced to play back to back traveling away games in September.
Definitely was a load of shit for Brisbane and completely unfair if they lost that there would be riots. But I think on grand final day that shouldn't make any difference. You could even argue it gave them an advantage by playing on the MCG the week before and adjusting to it.

Definitely was a load of s**t for Brisbane and completely unfair if they lost that there would be riots. But I think on grand final day that shouldn't make any difference. You could even argue it gave them an advantage by playing on the MCG the week before and adjusting to it.
Akermanis was absolutely determined to lose that game, Lions never had a chance

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Definitely was a load of s**t for Brisbane and completely unfair if they lost that there would be riots. But I think on grand final day that shouldn't make any difference. You could even argue it gave them an advantage by playing on the MCG the week before and adjusting to it.
You are missing the point entirely, traveling back to back trips interstate especially during Finals, is a huge disadvantage for the traveling team.

Ahead of both the Collingwood and Crows games, every interview with the club during the week talked the games down as "Just another game" and said "We'll prepare the same way we do every week"

Deliberately playing down the significance of big calendar games and walking into every weekend with a "Business as usual!" attitude is such a pussy mentality to have and gets you nowhere.

Ahead of both the Collingwood and Crows games, every interview with the club during the week talked the games down as "Just another game" and said "We'll prepare the same way we do every week"

Deliberately playing down the significance of big calendar games and walking into every weekend with a "Business as usual!" attitude is such a pussy mentality to have and gets you nowhere.
Since Port have been in the AFL, they have had only seven respectable seasons.
1997, 1998, 1999, 2004, 2013, 2014 and 2020.

Every other season has either been poor, mediocre or ended with being embarrassed in the finals.
It's been a problem for a long time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back